Lawmakers Reject Medical Marijuana Protection for Patients

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, May 10, 2013.

1. Lawmakers Reject Medical Marijuana Protection for Patients
    JORDAN SMITH / MAY. 9,2013

Despite emotional pleas from seriously ill and their caregivers

A conservative measure that would have created an affirmative defense to prosecution for pot possession for seriously ill Texas patients has died in a House committee without being called up for a vote.

House Bill 594, by Austin Democratic Rep. Elliott Naishtat, would allow patients suffering from a bona fide illness who use marijuana for medical purposes an affirmative defense to prosecution for possession. The measure would also protect doctors who discuss pot with patients, or who recommend to them use of medicinal marijuana. The bill would not legalize medicinal marijuana as has been done in 18 other states and Washington, D.C.

Lawmakers on the House Public Health Committee appeared sympathetic to the pleas of patients and caregivers who offered emotional testimony in favor of the bill during a May 1 hearing. No one registered or testified against the measure.

Nonetheless, Rep. Lois Kolkhorst, R-Brenham, declined to call the bill up for vote by the whole committee, signaling that the measure didn't have enough votes to be passed to the House floor for consideration. With the deadline for House bills to receive initial consideration on the floor just hours away – midnight tonight – the bill has died. This is the fifth time in as many sessions that the bill has failed to move. (Indeed, the news angered many bill backers; at least one posted to Facebook a snapshot of Kolkhorst's campaign contributions, noting a string of sizable donations made by large pharmaceutical interests.)

Naishtat was disappointed by the news. This is only the second time in a decade that the bill has even received a hearing. The last time the bill was poised to move it got the favorable nod from a different committee, the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee, which is where bills effecting the criminal code often go. (Consider another affirmative defense bill filed this year, HB 1743 by Dallas Dem Eric Johnson, a measure that would protect drug users who report overdose incidents to police, which got a 9-0 nod from that committee.)

Why Naishtat's bill has repeatedly been sent to Public Health is unclear. Naishtat said he has no idea why his measure has been relegated there, but said that despite his disappointment over the bill's death in committee, he remains encouraged, not only that the bill has finally been heard, but also that lawmakers appear "much more sensitive to the need for this legislation" than they have been in the past, he said. "This has put us on a new path with regard to medical marijuana."

Indeed, Naishtat said that in conversations with colleagues after the hearing he was encouraged to hear that the testimony had made several reconsider their previously held assumptions. One said it would make her "more holistic in her approach" to such matters, he recalled, while another told him the hearing was very educational and emotional. In the end, however, he said he was told by more than one member that they just couldn't bring themselves to vote for the measure.

Naishtat is undeterred: passing this legislation is the right thing to do and he'll continue to fight for that to happen. "There's definitely movement forward," he said.

Once again politicians ignore the 85% support by the voters for mmj,,elections are coming up,,it is going to be a very interesting election year:smoke:

2. Sorry to read that Clay.

It sounds like there is a little interest in the House. Texas will be one hard nut to crack.

3. I think it will take several key prohibition supporting legislators to lose their seats in the next election,,I will be at every political meeting I can reach to question all candidates and especially incumbents on why they fail to support what 85% of their constituents do..as I said,,this should be a very interesting election year and it being an off year for any presidential campaign taking the lime light and all the news time I believe we will see a lot of incumbents going down.:smoke:
    I can't think of a nicer group of people to join the unemployed.

4. (Indeed, the news angered many bill backers; at least one posted to Facebook a snapshot of Kolkhorst's campaign contributions, noting a string of sizable donations made by large pharmaceutical interests.)Representative Lois Kolkhorst Campaign Finances - Project Vote Smart

Not judging anyone, but I think there is a special place in hell for people who take money and give money to keep mmj away from suffering patients.

5. You mean these people?

"In the end, however, he said he was told by more than one member that they just couldn't bring themselves to vote for the measure."

6. #6 floating_by, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
    Rick Perry, G.W. Bush's hand-picked replacement isn't going to give medicine to the sick or any legal reprieve. ;) Here shown making an appearance for big ag.
    [​IMG]
    As I've been mentioning in other threads, the governors in many states are all acting like "goal keepers" to keep the will of the people from coming to fruition. And it really doesn't matter what political label they have given themselves.

The lawmakers weren't going to politically stick their necks out knowing damn well it would never get signed.

7. In the left hand corner is our biggest corporate enemy against legalization of hemp,,they could give a shit about marijuana but they know without marijuana remaining prohibited the ball game is over,,,probably trying to sell off their stockpiles of nylon and rayon before canvas,burlap and fine textiles blows them out of the market. We should boycott anything using Dupont but then you could use no paper at all,,,they own the patent on the chemicals used to produce paper from wood.

8. Yeah, it was interesting the objections to the laws in WA, I believe, where they said there was not enough delineation between hemp and cannabis. They just submitted revisions and passed them if not mistaken. It's all about divvying up the pie amongst all the corporate fucks right now. :rolleyes:

9. In Texas u got a better chance of passing gun control, than getting any marijuana reform.