Lava Rock????????????

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by juicy jane, Nov 8, 2007.

1. <HR style="COLOR: #ecfcb2" SIZE=1>
    HEY, ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE WITH USING LAVA ROCK AS PART OF YOU GROWING MEDIUM. I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS TOO ACIDY AND MIGHT SCREW UP THE PH OR HARM ROOTS. ANY THOUGHTS? PEACE...............:)

2. Is there a reason why you want to do this?

3. I'm also interested in learning about Lava rock, I've heard its a good alternate medium. I can't find expanded clay pellets anywhere but most landscaping places carry lava rock. I know that it is suggested to soak in pHed water for 3-4 days minimum before using and also to rinse very well. The only negative I've heard is that it is very hard to clean after a grow and since it is rocks, its somewhat of an uneven growing medium, however since its heavier I've heard that it can support larger plants.

Has anyone had exprience with lava rock ?

4. i've used lava rocks with soil to help with drainage.

make sure that the lava rocks are meant for growing, then just rinse them until the water run off is clear (they will have some excess lava rock dust on them from being in the bag) and they're good.

5. becuzz i use an ebb and flow flood table and as of now i have a layer of river rock 2 in deep and i groe in net pots filled with hydrocotonsitting on top of the river rock, it works very well but i would like to creat more air pockets and water retention between floods and thought lava rock would be an inexpensive medium......peace:devious:

6. It seems if you tried that then any PH problems would become apparent within the first couple ebb & flow cycles and would probably be pretty easily corrected.

I hope you achieve the results you're looking for. :)

7. i just went and dug up some clay from the ground outside my house. Its just natural yellow clay. I washed most of the dirt out of it, balled alot of it up with my hands, and baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Came out great! Havent used them yet, but im pretty sure theylle be fine....

8. my first grow jsut took place using lava rock as the medium in a 5 gallon DWC with CFL, while my roommate used expanding clay agg. both plants looked amost identical. the lava rock was a huge pain preparing it though, not worth the time washing it out and every time you add water the bottom will have some red sand.

9. ive seen lots of cats using it unstead of hydrotron, it worked for them.

10. Easiest way to wash it: put it in the dishwasher. Cleans up real nice.