Laughter?Happiness?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jcosano, May 22, 2008.

1. What is it? Do we laugh because we find something "funny"?
    Is being "happy" finding everything funny?
    and how does what ever it is make us laugh??

And why is it that what gains most laughs is clynical and negative...??

2. ok first and foremost .... im sooooo high and just read that... and it got me really thinking, like actually deep in thought that it was ridiculous.... so this is what i was thinking about ....

i find that something that may necessarily make us laugh is sometimes something that isnt actually "funny" .... laughter i see get used in social situations to simply break up conversations and just to avoid akward moments .....

the application of laughter these days is alot different to the actual meaning we intend on implying by actually using the word. Also when i think into this i also think of the fact that theres so many different ways of laughing ... from a chucke .... to like an al out bawling your eyes out laugh ..... but i guess that directly relates to what were watching ... and different things also give us different levels of laughter, and it differs between everyone ... we all find different things funny.

Like i know its rude ... but its hilarious seeing someone stack it, i spose not to the extent of really hurting themselves, but just a simple tumble ... but other people may find that not funny at all and think of the side of "oh thats not funny, i hope theyre ok" or something along those lines ...

Im very high keep in mind so im prob seeing this differently and completly opposite or wrong direction you wanted...but i thought i'd give my input anyways

3. No no I am very high as well, and I was glad to hear your input on it
    it really does help to share thoughts with others because you do not only learn more from one another this way but it also lets you think about diffirent inputs.

another thought, BEER (or any other alcoholic drinks) are also used for similar reasons.
    There are ALOT of reasons why people drink, but I was thinking, alot of people drink because well, man alcohol always lowered anyone's logic (thats why I call them brain granades lol) it is a magnificent tool tho to be able to act out what you really felt inside and have an excuse for it in the morning.

4. true true, but thats also what i hate about alcohol the constant excuses that they provide and "scott free" at most ..... i think that the way alcohol is abused is disguisting by some .... especially heavy drinkers become extremely sloppy, unmannered and just annoying most of the time human beings ..... apart from the few who can handle it.

but yeah i suppose what u said about how the relationship between beer and laughter ... is used and applied in the same ways....

5. Another thing,
    Laughter can be a symbol for Understanding (?)
    like have you ever look at someone and both of you laugh? the facial expressions and such, I think its like a "connection" or "understanding" and like that your both in on something that really isnt anything but you both understand.
    I think somtimes its connections between humans like theres somethings everyone finds "funny" reguardless backgrounds and such.

6. and that negative thing...
    i think its secret agreement
    the laughter at someone elses negative/cynical statement
    i once started laughing at my friends sister who is pompus and pretentious
    she was discussing how she enjoys going to nice restaurants..and travelling the world and smoking from a pipe...she said she hates ciggarettes but enjoys smoking from a pipe and sitting with people talking
    i had a big smile...and was pretty much laughing at her, she didnt get why i was.
    because her brain is trapped in pretentious bullshit and she's so far from the truth
    i found the way she thinks/lives hilarious and misguided, hence i had a know it all smile on my face
    also i laugh/get happy when i see how passionate people are
    when they spark up
    sometimes they are passionate about stupid things...but i still admire it
    but hey...thats all my 2 cents

I dont know if I'm still staying on topic or steering off time to time, Im just in the stoned ranting mood lol

7. Laughter is a gut reaction. People laugh when they're nervous, or unsure of themselves, for example. Some people laugh after they have an orgasm. Some ppl laugh at things that are not necessarily funny. Sense of humor is very subjective, although there are some universal things which make many ppl laugh.
    Happiness is a state of being. A person can be perfectly happy without laughing at all.

8. i started a thread almost exactly like this a month or so ago and got 1 reply. it was in this subforum titled Laughter?

9. That made me laugh. :hello: