latest art dump

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Palmer Eldritch, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Here's a few images that I've been working on. I'm taking an anatomy and physiology class this summer to help my drawing in general and to perhaps prepare for a job in medical illustration. It's a little disturbing at times, like setting up the infant skeleton, but ya got to get over it to be any good. Next week we start the dissection of organs and muscles. I had wanted access to a whole cadaver for dissection but no such luck. This will be fun enough.

I'm also working on an experimental animation that is using a static background colored in pastel. The concept is of an alien/amphibian naturalist who is collecting bug samples from a bog. There are bubbles that rise out of the bog that he'll walk on to capture his subject. I'm pretty sure I've gotten this idea from a childhood memory of an Ozric Tentacles album cover. The character will be created separately and later inserted digitally, allowing me to keep the background clean. I've included a test image of marker and pastel, I haven't used pastel in so long, I wanted to make sure I didn't ruin my piece before I knew what I was doing again. It looks like to me, I'll need some more practice before I finish it and start animating.

I guess my next project will be for the GC contest. time to win me some new smoking paraphernalia :hello:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - - -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fucking incredible, like always. As a musician, I always wish I could be an visual artist. I know that I always hear new melodies, chords, rhythms, and progressions in my head. Is the artist's mind similiar, i.e. do you ever look at objects and visualize how to recreate them with pencil/pen/etc?

3. Absolutely, I'd say that the thought process is very similar if not identical. The only difference is which cortex is linking to the frontal lobe focusing the output. I'm always deconstructing things. What I find myself doing often is trying to imagine what objects look like from a different perspective. This seems to help a lot for really understanding what I see. I Look for their basic shapes and try to catalog them mentally. Simulating materials, lighting and movements become part of the artist's repertoire just like progressions and riffs to create emotion and mood for musicians.

I wish I could be a musician. I'm a decent guitarist, I understand how to create music but I lack the instinct and sense for controlling sound. All I can do is play other people's work. Ah well artists get chicks too, just like musicians so its all good. :D

thank ya ruman

4. Interesting.

Do you ever do improvisational art? As an improvising musician by nature, I wonder what it must be like to draw and paint based on moods, themes, and other inspirations. Come to think of it, the approach to art seems to be more improvisational than music altogether.

5. well usually finished images have several dozen sketches, details and references making them just as structured and planned out as symphonies, but other times the images just fly out of the brain without premeditation. Those images may not be the best, in terms of academic aesthetics, but they're usually the more enjoyable to create and look at.

My best pieces are the ones I started without knowing I was making.

6. awesomeness

7. thanks pufnstuf

I forgot about this chick. I don't know whats up, I've been drawing a lot of field scientists lately.

[​IMG]

8. here's my next drawing from anatomy. I missed the class dissection yesterday so I came in by myself today to cut up some sheep's eyes and a brain. I was disappointed, I has hoping for human samples like the bones, but I'll take what I can get. I was running out of time by the time I got to the brain, since I had to dissect the sample, compose it, wash my hands, draw and then do the next stage. Therefor the brain isn't as good as the eyes. I actually got carried away with the second eye I dissected, took apart every structure I could isolate based, I wish I could have drawn that too.

I'm really only sitting in with the anatomy class to use their samples, so my drawings (especially the brain) aren't labeled very comprehensively...

[​IMG]

9. I love your stuff palm, can't wait to see the final project with the forest landscape w/ alien scientist, that's guna be doooope.

When's the GC art contest?....sounds intresting.

Edit: saw the thread today, you sharing any ideas before you post your entry?

10. Hey man looks really good man.

11. thanks guys :)

hmm, probably not. tell you the truth I haven't started my image yet, I've been having some good ideas that wouldn't work for the contest and I've got to act on them before I lose the inspiration. But yeah, the first time my project will be seen is when its completed.

12. these pics are really detailed and expressive i really like it

keep it up man u have alot of skill

peace