Late planting = late harvest?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by swmr, Apr 1, 2009.

1. #1 swmr, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    Hey Blades.

I have never grown before, but may have a short opportunity this summer. However it will be available only mid May. If I planted outdoors say May 15th, would I be able to harvest at a normal time or will it be pushed back. Or will the plants not grow and mature properly.

Also, assuming the land and air is not too dry, could I plant and check on and care for the plants every few days, instead of everyday or twice a day? I do have a job, and cannot let certain family members or neighbors find out.

I know these are sorta strange questions, and I am guessing that I won't have enough months to grow, but I figured GC would be one of the best places to find out.

Thanks for your help!

-Swmr

PS: Please don't freaking type "/thread" anywhere in your post. I am here for some friendly answers. This is my thread to close, not yours.

2. #2 L.L.Rain, Apr 1, 2009
    no.

many growers choose to plant a little later in the season to keep plants shorter.
    may 15 is not even that late.
    really as long as they are a month old by the time they should start flowering you would be fine (around early august)
    they will be shorter (less time to veg) but it wont effect flowering time

oh and you should be checking on the plants once or twice a week.
    you should do some more reading, like spend a ton of time on this website studying, tons of hard work digging holes, be diligent and show some attention to detail, be a disciplined soldier for your cause.

3. Oh yeah, plenty of time. A May 15th start should be harvesting by late August/early September unless its a really slow strain. Remember, you get out of it exactly what you put into it.....Good luck!

4. #4 Corto Malteze, Apr 1, 2009
    If a strain's genetics tells it to finish in late October (if it was acclimated to that time), whether you start in March, APril, June or July, it'll still finish in late October. If you start very early (Dec,jan), the growth hormones of the plant will make it flower later than normally though as the flowering hormones will take more time to kick in. May 15th isn't that late, esp. for an Indica that doesn't need a very long veg. period to reach max. height.

From an experienced gardener:

"Time is the big factor when it comes to yields. In my area there is 156 days of growing between the last frost in the spring and the first killing frost in the fall. A plant that is 156 days old will grow a lot of plant material in a week, so starting the plant a week early adds 7 days = 163 days, if started 2 months early it will be 216 days old when harvest comes. Even a day will add a lot of growth to a 200 day old plant! And it will eat like a teenager. On the other side of the coin every day of veg adds to the anti-flowering hormone. Very old plants will resist flowering and may add 3-4 weeks to the harvest date, you can try switching the nutes to a flowering formula around 2 months before the “true” harvest date to help them along".

5. Very helpful, Saving this information. I'll finally give you some +rep Corto lol..

6. Thanks for the responses. So far, all of my seeds were giving to me because I am the only one who doesn't want to throw them out. Most are from mids, which are going in the ground this summer. I also have two that were found in a sac of blueberry. Strange, but good genetics nonetheless.