Language

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by rusty bob, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Language is terribly interesting.

It allows us to communicate our ideas and thoughts. It gives us a reference point we can use to understand ourselves and each other.

But it is also terribly flawed.
    Words rely on our personal understanding of them. They have a subjective nature.

And this is the problem I have with words. Thoughts can be miscommunicated. Ideas can be twisted.

Any thoughts?

2. I like language a lot, but ultimately I think it distracts us from the life experience by trying to define everything. It causes us to live in our thoughts instead of simply embracing realitys experience in its unexplainable essence.

3. The purest form of language is telepathic thought, and even that is subjective to a point.

4. spoken language goes hand in hand with body language. Our physical actions and mannerisms define our spoken words.

Listening to someone talk with out seeing how their body reacts leaves us wondering how much they believe in what they say, or how honest they're being. This is why texts and emails can be so unemotional and hard to read.

Body language by itself is a much purer form of communication then any spoken language by itself. It's alot easier to lie with your voice then it is to lie with your body.

5. And there is the thing.

It just relies far too much on interpretation. As you say, we need to see the actions of a persons body and hear the emotion in their voice. This is a judgement we make. And its incredibly easy to misinterpret and misjudge.

And then there is the other bit. Not only do we interpret body language according to our own perceptions, but we also interpret words according to our understanding of them. When we learn a language, we learn to associate meanings with words. But these are our own meanings. They are different for everybody else. And when we learn a new word, we understand it according to our understanding of other words.

So when somebody says something, our mind automatically interprets their statement not according to what they mean, but what we would mean if we were them.
    It's like languages are set up to draw people apart.

An incredibly crude communication tool.

But then there is the other side. If we didnt have words to think in, how would we think. I'm pretty sure we could only think in terms of feelings and emotions.
    Without words, we could not think. It's interesting that language, which could only have developed to assist with and deal with other humans, enhances our thought processes. We developed our brain power communally. Which also makes sense in terms of evolution.

And yet it allows religious wars and genocide and worse to take place. Words are very easily twisted, according to their subjective nature.

I dunno, even though it's Probly bullshit, those are my thoughts.

6. I thought I'd share one of my favorite excerpts from one of my favorite books: The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. It fits pretty well with the thread topic imo:

7. I think misinterpretation is a huge part of debate/discussion. If we could all specify our terminology so that there is a precise understanding, then the misinterpretation would vanish.

Any argument, then, would be over an initial premise in which we can not agree upon. If we did then there would be no discussion, whatever the initial premise entails would give way to a logical conclusion that you couldn't deny. Or, if it's not the initial premise in which we disagree upon, the disagreement would lie in some value judgment, and we would just have to accept the opposing viewpoints as different than our own. But still, whatever the opposing value judgment entails, we would still acknowledge the logical conclusion that follows.

At least that's what I've come to think...maybe it's not spot-on, but it seems like it. I have a feeling this may be an obvious truth to others...lol, I guess I'm just coming around to it. :eek:

8. Generally, there is no telepathic thought in this sense, as if you can hear what someone else is thinking in the same way you would have had they said it out loud.

The idea of telepathy, or as i refer to it, telempathy, is more about making an empathic connection with someone, where you resonate at the same frequency. You 'know' what's going on for the other because you vibrate at the same rate and feel it the same way. There is no subjectivity in this experience.

But, I have had an experience where I've communicated directly with someone telepathically, who was unconscious of me doing so (this just happened spontaneously) and where they were actually involved in a conversation with someone else at the time. The weird thing was, the words they were using to respond in the conversation, also answered the questions I'd begun to ask, even though they were on a completely different subject.

Nothing other than a little cannabis was being used by all at the time.

9. On unmentionables the other day 7gs crazy amount for noob like me

Language is a way for you to express your knowledge so the govt can use your ideas to their advantage. Language is a way to express your ideas to the govt or people of higher power so they can learn from it and make it stronger in their way. Soo keep your mouth shut. Language is not powerful enough in some people to explain what they are trying to express and that's why it's flawed. You need to goo back to basic extincts, look at your cat they don't communicate and they sent blowing up the world with atomic bombs. Language is a way to manipulate and steal your ideas