language

Discussion in 'General' started by hipeeman, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Have you ever thought about what it would be like to wake up and just not understand ANY languuage at all? not just how to speak it..but to hear people talking and just not nderstand? how would you think? i think in english...if i didnt even know english...what would i think? in pictures?:confused:

2. go to china and work your way around... same thing

3. yeah but thats just not understanding what people say. im saying, no language at all. you cant speak, think or understand, any word in any language. imagine that..

4. so fuckin' weird! i was just thinking about this today.

though i am pretty sure we don't think in english. but i wonder sometimes..

5. how do i not think in english? when i think...i think english words..therefore, in english right?

6. i speak goddamn american

7. i think the only time you think in actual english is when you're concentrating on distinguishing whether or not you do indeed think in english. hard to understand/explain but i really believe you think ideas or mental pictures versus an actual language.

8. I dont get it..when im thinking about something, the words are in english...because english is the language i speak. that also makes me think, what would it be like to think in ANOTHER language? like if all of a sudden, you spoke chinese and didnt speak english..thatd be wierd..