Korean Red Ginseng Aeroponic Setup

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by Mavor, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Hello everyone.

I have recently become very interested in Aeroponics and currently have a small setup for doing some peppermint, and a few varieties of lettuce.

The next thing I would like to do is set up a indoor Korean Red Ginseng grow via aeroponics, but I can't seem to find any information online on optimal nutrient mixtures, temperature, PH, and lighting (via LED grow lights) to supercharge my ginseng's growth.

Originally, ginseng is a very slow growing medicinal herb, but I have recently seen some aeroponics experiments (without any detailed information unfortunatly) on 4-6 month turnaround times on ginseng. I'm hoping that through generous amounts of light, nutrients and oxygen, I can get some great ginseng growing going.

I hope this is the right place to post this question... I would really appreciate any guidance that the expert community here could point me towards.

Thank you so much all. :wave:

2. I looked into it once - not for indoor, just for in the garden. Amazing how expensive that stuff is. Try uc davis website, that's where i find a lot of crop studies. As for guidance, hopefully someone with experience sees this but I do remember temps should be a little cooler - mid 60's - than cannabis but ph should about the same. It grows in forests right? So for lighting I might suggest starting them further away, like 36", depending on the type of led panel you have. Then gradually move closer until you see some stress. Same with nutes. Start really low and move up slowly till you get the stop sign. Do you have seeds? Don't they take like a year to germinate? Keep us posted. I'd be stoked to see you bring in a harvest.

3. Awesome advice, thanks Bagus. I'll look into UC Davis right away. I have access to rootlets (mature roots that can be grown out of) so that should allow me to jumpstart my plants.

And the seeds.. the germination itself is actually not very long, but they need a 1 year preparation time, as you said, before germination.

My main worry is figuring how to set up the plant holders so that I can easily cut them out when harvesting without damaging the roots..

Overall i'm thinking an A-Frame aeroponics setup will be best for this, and to start with i'm going to get a ~1 meter/1.5 meter high one set up with angeled LED lights on both sides so I get uniform coverage on the foilage. Won't be able to start this project until a few months into the future however due to my greenhouse not being set up yet (still have some prep to do).

I'm hoping that the abundance of nuts and air will allow me to really cut down on maturation time. I've seen some studies of similar family herbs having their maturation times cut down by 80++% with harvest output of up to 16x or higher from the same area via soil-based methods.

I can't wait to try.