Knats

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by johnnyoutlaw, May 14, 2010.

1. #1 johnnyoutlaw, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    Hi, I have noticed over the past few days that my mother plants (in Vic's super soil) have developed quite a few Knats. At least I believe they are Knats. Tiny black (very dark) bugs with wings that fly around. What is the best way to nuetralize them and are they harmful to my plants? Here is a pic of underneath the leaves. I hope you can see all of the (eggs I think). Are these Knat eggs? Please help GC! Thanks................. Oh, also you'll notice the yellow spotting on the leaf tops that are now developing. Anyone have input on this too? Thanks.......

Attached Files:

2. PEST CONTROL & Plant Diseases For Marijuana Cannabis Plants Whoever posted the song on this site needs smacked in the head, but good info.

:(4. Aphids: Aphids measure around 3mm. They come in many different sorts, and their color varies from light yellow to dark-green, sometimes almost black. Most common are the leaf-aphids and the root-aphids. Both travel by air and spread diseases and infections. They have a thick oval body, no head front knobs and antennae shorter than the body. On their sticky residue which they produce on the leaves (honeydew) appear fungus and mould. Root-aphids destroy the roots with earlier mentioned results. Natural predator : Lace wing or Gallmidge

:(5. Thrips:Adult thrips are small, elongated insects with typical fringed wings. They measure about 1mm, and have a greyish or yellow to brown color. The female thrips deposits eggs in the leaf tissue. The eggs hatch within a few days into very mobile larvae which immediately begin to feed, Thrips damage the crop by withdrawing the plant cell fluids. Empty cells are filled with air, causing a silvery appearance, on which dark spots (the excrements) are visible. Damage through discoloration or deformation can occur. Moreover, thrips are important vectors of several viruses. Thrips populations can develop very rapidly. Natural predator : Predatory bug

Are you sure it's not 2 bugs? sounds like spider mites and fungus gnats, and maybe you're mixing the two together as one species in a different stage of development.

1. Greenhouse Spidermite: These are yellow-brown colored mites with two dark spots on both sides. They measure approximately 0,5 mm. The mites feed by sucking sap from the under surface on the leaf. This induces groups of small white speckles which are clearly seen from the upper surface of the leaf. It will ruin your harvest completely when you don't take countermeasures in time. A nightmare for all growers. In a later stage the leaves will become grey-yellow because all the green has been eaten by the spidermites. Also they will produce a silky spinning which can be noticed on the leaves, and later around the budds. In this stage your harvest will almost be ruined. (make sure to also take a look in our photo section, we have some clear pictures there. Natural predator : Predatory mite

2. Sciarid Fly:Approximately 6mm long black colored "fly". It is usually found in large numbers. The 5mm white and transparent larva damages the soil and the root system of the plant. When this happens, the absorbing of micro-nutrients will stop, and growth will stagnate. In case of severe root damage, the leafs of the plant will wilt and the whole plant can even fade. The flies themselves are not that harmful, only thing is that they lay their new eggs offcourse, and that they can stick to the buds. (smells like a bbq when you a lot of them in your joint ;=)) .Natural predator: NEMATODES

3. hey man I'm new 2 growin n dont have a lot of insight like toil of day (by the way very insightful post) but I live near water n deal with a lot of bugs n if knats r ur problem a cup or 2 of apple cider vinegar will attract n drown them n a lot of other lil pests u may come across. hope its helpful