KIS organic soil, one plant lime green and looking “sick”

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Kokolent, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hello all!

So I have 3 plants started, from seed, in KIS “water only” organic soil. I transplanted them from a dixie-cup, to 3gal smart pots (I’ll elaborate on why below) about a week after they sprouted and everything has been going pretty smooth for the most part. That was around 3.5 weeks ago.

The past few days I’ve been noticing that one of the plants is starting to look a little sad. The leaves are drooping slightly and have a wilty texture, the bottom most leaves are looking sort of dead (which isn’t necessarily out of the ordinary IMO, for the initial leaves that sprout) and the plant has a lime green tint to it.

I’m guessing it’s starving for nutrients, which I get, but 3 weeks doesn’t seem like very much time at all for the small plant to suck everything from the soil already. The other two plants look great. Nice and healthy.

As for why I chose 3gal pots, I have a very small grow tent and the seeds I used aren’t feminized. My idea was to try to keep the plants in smaller pots until I can identify the plants gender, and at that point, throw away the males and transplant the females to 15gal pots and let them finish getting big and eventually flower them.

I didn’t want to waste a ton of soil on what could turn out to be male plants for a variety of reasons.

So with all of that out of the way, does this sound like a nutrient issue? And if it is, can I just feed them with my foxfarm trio? As far as I know, you shouldn’t really have to use nutes with this kind of soil so I’m cautious about that.

Or should I say screw it and look into just transplanting it again?

I will add some images later for those that want to see it for themselves

2. That is correct...You dont wanna kill your microbes and ruin you organic soil. If you need to give it a little nitrogen boost, use something organic-friendly like Alaska Fish Fertilizer, or even something like this,
    upload_2017-10-12_10-48-1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Without pics it's nearly impossible to help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. three weeks in... how much are you watering and how often. Also I have the KIS method but of course you can top dress ( malted barley, fish bone, kelp) or get a quick molasses and compost tea to give it when it is lacking. I feed my plants once a week and I am altering with coconut water , aloe vera juice, molasses, and seaweed. I water twice with just plain water though..

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Kokolent, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks guys! Sorry for not having photos right off the bat but here is a quick one showing the three together. You can see that the one on the far right is the not so great looking one.

I’m watering about every other day or so at this point and by that time, they need it pretty bad. For that reason, I think this may be the last time I use air pots. The cons outweigh the pros IMO

I can see that the smaller one on the left looks like it may need some feeding soon too? Any thoughts?

I have some dr.earths fertilizer that I mistakenly purchased a while back... would that work as a temporary soil dressing until I figure the sexes out? Or should I transplant now?

Sorrry if dumb questions, this is my first “water only” attempt

88AC6005-6EC8-4D96-A67A-DB75AAC7F849.jpeg 7724F29E-740E-4EE9-8A80-92CCA4C0F751.jpeg

6. At first glance they all look overwatered to me. Are you using the "lift" method to determine when they need to be watered?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I pick them up to check how heavy they are before watering but I suppose I could try going an extra day between watering to see if that helps?

I took the pic right at the end of their dark cycle too, so that may be why they look like that. The two on the left generally perk up once they spend some time in the lights

8. I was afraid you were going to say it was almost lights out. It would make more sense if the smaller plant was the worst looking if they were over watered.
    Are they all the same strain?
    Remind me what Tad is putting in his soil mix?
    A vermicompost topdress and some mulch wouldn't hurt a thing.
    RD

9. Take a cupful of that Dr. Earth and a gal. of water and make a quick tea with it..just a couple hrs. brew time, and water with that next watering,and pour the "grounds' right in the pots with the tea.Works faster that way.

10. It looks pretty thick in there..tough to get air moving between the leaves..maybe a little thinning out would assist..

11. Overwatering...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sure looks that way Wak.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Roots need oxygen.

Plants that size in pots that size DO NOT NEED to be watered every other day...

I personally would not add anything without considering watering methodology first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ok, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will give it another day or two between watering and see how they react over the next week or two

Cheers!

15. definitely overwatering. seeing the symptoms mean the plant roots have already started to rot. that's why the plant is showing deficiency because the roots are not functioning properly.
    right now you DONT want to water them at all! the roots need to heal and the rot needs to be stopped, adding any amount of unnecessary moister at this point is going to delay the recovery at best, or make it worse. only water when the plant looks like it really needs it (starting to wilt from the base of the leaf) then water very little.
    only go back to normal watering when the plant looks healthy again.

as for when to water, you dont want to water on a schedule (every x days) but rather learn to read the plants. a good way to learn is the lift method. lift the pot when its dry then water it well and lift again, feel the difference in weight. now judge the soil moister by lifting the pot, you want to water about half way between dry and moist.

HTH

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. KIS Organics Water Only Soil Mix

@Kokolent IMO If the KIS mix is true to label there's no way your plants have exhausted any required plant element at this stage of growth. Do as was suggested and focus on water and water quality (yada, yada). I also suggest you keep the top couple of inches of soil well broken up. It will help with airflow. I use a stout stick to do the deed.

Bountiful harvests!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Thanks for the advice folks. I’ll back off on watering and will take your suggestions on bringing the one back from the dead.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sorry I missed this earlier. The KIS soil is the same stuff that Possuum posted above. The plant of the left is a different strain than the two on the right. :)

I’ve grown the ones on the right before but this is my first time growing the one on the left

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. #19 Possuum, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    @Kokolent i wanted to throw something else your way. Keeping soil temperature in the 70's and upward is very important for soil chemistry. Certainly soil temp 68F or lower is a bad deal. To aid in heat retention get the 3g containers up off the floor preferably with some stiff insulation. If they're sitting on wood or concrete the heat will be sucked right out of the containers and esp so during lights off. Get them off the floor.

I like using good quality saucers such as these from hydrofarm. I use the 16" for everything but they come in smaller sizes. There are other brands and they're available a lot of places. IDK but you may find it easier to a!ternate your waterings by watering from the top and alternating watering from the bottom. Smarties are great for bottom watering. Always break the surface soil up before watering as it aids greatly with more even distribution and O2 assimilation through the substrate.

A couple of tool tips for the grow-kit bag.

Hydrofarm — Green Premium Saucer 16", pack of 10

HGS16P_18267.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. I use those ^^^ in many sizes and like em lots. They are tough and work well. I carry 10 gals around with a #14 under them, relying on the saucer to support all the weight, and have never broken one. I usually use a size or two larger than I have to once the plants get large and can consume more water.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1