kief worth the cost of high end grinder?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by phsballin4life, Mar 6, 2009.

1. just wondering if its really worth paying like 40 bucks for a grinder thanks:smoke:

2. you can get a sharpstone, which is one of the best grinders on the market for around 20 dollars. I have one and would definitely recommend it. Peace :smoke:

3. When I want kief I sift trim and popcorn bud through a silkscreen and collect many grams of it. I prefer to keep as much of it on my smoking bud as possible though; one big reason I don't use my grinder much.

4. i didn't grow up using a grinder so I find that I never use it. I've been trying to though it's just that im so used to using my fingers. They do a good job too! Peace :smoke: But again, for the OP look into the sharpstone.

5. thanks guys does it not make your bud less potent?

6. Every bit of kief you sift and separate lowers the potency of what's left behind.

7. you are not going to loose any more potency than you would if you broke it up with your hands, and it's not going to really be a noticeable loss. It's knocking off a few trichomes here and there, but it is going to collect them in the bottom compartment so you don't loose them. They are one of the best investments, bud burns so much better once ground up.

8. I can guarantee you I lose far less and mine burns just as nicely using my fingers and gently breaking it apart. It's just a matter of preference; there is no best way to prepare.

9. it so unnoticible u wouldnt even know if you didnt know. think about it to when u break bud up regaurdless ur gonna lose some kief. get a sharpstone and put some kief on your bowls. youll be flying

10. yeah i'm sure... your bud is so much more potent than the bud in a grinder and will get you so much higher:rolleyes:

you know they make grinders that don't have separate keif compartments so you would loose absolutely no trichomes, guess the grinder wins.

11. #11 tokin', Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009

You can get a 4pc chromium crusher for $20 + free shipping(I'm not gonna post the site for obvious reasons). I just got mine yesterday and I placed the order in on Sunday:hello:

12. I feel a Space Case is definitely worth the investment. All of my previous grinders went to shit and needed twice the amount of maintenance! My Space Case gives me a ridiculous kief build up every month.

13. Sure you would. Some of the trichs would stick to the teeth and sides of a grinder without a keif compartment, but either way, you can always ISO wash your grinders to get that kief back. Kinda hard to do that with your fingers.

14. I have heard loads of different opinions about grinders so I recently decided to get one and see if I liked it. I have to say I love the change. I find the weed hits better and burns more evenly, and now I'm a convert for good. As for the Kief question, I haven't noticed the potency going down, so I wouldn't worry about it.

15. if you do a good job of shaking it out everytime, you won't loose any. The point was, a grinder will loose far less trichomes than breaking it up by hand. Your grinder is designed to catch the extras that fall off while breaking up the bud, your fingers simply are not.

16. Get a sharpstone. /thread

And more keif/trichs get stuck to your fingers and table than are lost in the grinder. And the ones that are lost in the grinder get smoked later as opposed to being stuck to the table and fingers just to be wasted by whipping them away.

17. dont get a sharpstone....ive had both a sharpstone and a chromium crusher and a chromium crusher is by far better....and yea i think itss worth the $20-$30 for it

18. yea i agree with that. the 40$ for a sharpstone is def. worth it. its just such a nice grinder. plus if u wanna make more keif - you grind up bud, put a coin in the middle compartment, ice it for 8 min, (the whole grinder + bud inside) then take it out and shake like a mother fucker and then u got a shit load of keif

19. I have a 30 dollar grinder which is no way high end. As long as you have a 4 piece grinder you should be okay as far as collecting kief. The difference in the grinders is how much the bud is ground up allowing for longer smokes with more surface are of bud being able to be lit/ burned.

20. wow every month?

I got a small sharpstone, I put about 5 small BBs in there, grind less than a gram of weed, then shak it up. That fucking shit gives me keif cakes after grinding like 2 grams. (with eccessive shaking)

The trick is you got to put a adgitater in the middle of the grinder. It will adgitate your weed, smacking it around with it as it smacks keif off the weed.

Anyone can try this, try to pick something relitave to your grinder size. I got a small one so about 5 BBs works. (as in BB Guns) I'm sure if you have a large grinder you could put 1 rubber bouncy ball in there, and that should work. Anything with smooth surface (like a ball) can be used, so keif can't stick to it, or get in any nooks. You have to do some shaking though. (2-3 mins works fine)

Instant keif cakes! (depends on how much weed was grinded, and your grinder size)