Kessil H150 heating up

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DankHerbologist, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Anybody use these? I am using the magenta and the purple spectrum ones. My question is.... Does anybody experience these things getting HOT?

Their cooling system is supposed to be "revolutionary".. not exactly in those terms but they really talk it up.

My kessils are hot to the touch at all times, not burn your hand hot but definitely more then warm!!. Its like a step behind a cfl, you can't touch a cfl cause they get so hot but i think you know what I mean... right?

anyone think there might be an issue with these 2 panels? they are both just as hot and they always have been.

2. All LEDs make some heat that has to be drawn away with some sort of heat sink. The Kessils use a dense matrix of LEDs which produces a fair amount of heat. So, they should be warm but no so hot that you can't rest your hand on them without discomfort.

3. You can touch without discomfort but I certainly would not rest my hand on it, it's too hot for that and would probably start to burn. They're both like this. Think it's a problem?

4. I wouldn't worry about it now but if they get hotter you may need to use some compressed air to clear any dust out of the heat sink fins. If it really bothers you now, give it a try. I think the engineering in the Kessil lights is pretty sound. LEDs have different ratings but most will run fine at 85c at the diode junction. At higher than rated temps that would be seen with inadequate cooling, LEDs will use more power, produce less light and will fail sooner.

5. I have a compressed can of air at work I can borrow lol.

But I di remember it being that hot when I bought them, ever since I've kept a fan directly on them just because they're so hot.

Yeah I see what you're saying about them performing poorly with the inadequate cooling

6. I have two of the Kessil h150's and they do get warm but not hot. I think Kessil could of done a better job with the heat and with a little more design improvements brought the temps down 50 degree's F. Without a external fan blowing on them they run about 140 degrees F.
    If you blow just a small amount of air across them they drop down to less than your body temp.
    I just recently bought mine so I didn't pay the 200 plus some people paid.
    They are nice little lights for certain applications, like side lighting, growing small plants. They work well for small clone stations and starting seeds.
    I think you could use them for growing auto flowering strains, certainly for growing lettuce, basil etc.