Kelp meal tea and foliar spray

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Boggieman, Jul 10, 2017.

1. I made a kelp meal tea just letting 3 tablespoons of kelp meal sit in a gallon of rain water for 4-5 days. I filtered the tea then diluted the spray to equal about 1 tablespoon per gallon to use as a foliar spray for my Outdoor plants.

Do I have the right amounts for a foliar spray or should I dilute it more? I have always used maxicrop kelp extract to foliar feed but I want to start making my own. How long will this kelp tea be good for before it's no longer useful as a foliar spray? Thanks for any help.

2. According to Coot, rehydrate 1/4 cup of kelp meal with 1/2 cup of water then put the kelp in a blender and blend till it's a slurry. I usually add a bit more water, approximately another 2-3 tablespoons worth to get it to the consistency of my liking. Application rate is 2 tablespoons to a gallon shaken, strained and applied. I go with 3 tablespoons /gallon. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pretty sure the coot recipe is 1/4cup kelp in 5 gallons of water (~2.5 teaspoon per gallon) . no further dilution required AFAIK.

OP, at 3 Tablespoon in a gallon i would dilute it with 3-4 parts water to roughly get the dilution in coots recipe.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I have read a lot before making this post but too many variables. I believe I read the coots wants to turn 1/4 cup into a kelp paste and add 2 teaspoons of kelp paste per gallon. Also have read the 1/4 cup into a 5 gallon bucket. My goal is to use as a foliar spray.

5. the kelp paste is just a way to prepare kelp in advance for making instant tea. for the paste you mix in very little water and blend, making a paste and storing that paste in the fridge. now when you want to make tea you scoop out about 1.5 Table spoons (hydrating the kelp doubled the volume) per gallon, mix and its ready to use .
    HTH

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Per gal:
    2 tsp Kelp Meal
    .5 tsp Ful-Power
    Add ingredients in mason jar with water. Shake as you go by for 48hrs. Strain and spray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I turned that into 4 gallons of tea and sprayed my plants, how long is this kelp tea good for?

I would rather just mix kelp with water, strain, and spray my plants rather than make the kelp paste. I also read on a thread from lumperdawgs that making it fresh is better as most enzymes and other stuff is lost the longer the paste is kept. I would think a half cup of kelp meal shrinks once turned into a paste considering it's smashed to a pulp. So 2 teaspoons to a tablespoon of kelp meal per gallon of water steeped for about 48 hours is a good foliar spray solution correct?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes it is, but if you want a great foliar spray, add in humic acid, really drives up the efficiency and absorption.

• Like Like x 1
  9. actually the opposite is true. the kelp expands as it hydrates and absorbs water.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1