kelp meal sitting in water for 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by iggiafrica, May 4, 2013.

1. I added around 1 cup of kelp meal to around a 32 oz cup of water. it's been covered and exposed to light (the cup is plastic tinted yellow).

it's been in there about 6 weeks. should I toss it or is it useable? It's been covered so nothing got in it, but i did find a dog hair inside...

thoughts?

igi

2. Why the fuck would you do this

3. It wasn't intentional. I had to pull up my plant and left the grow room still operable. I decided to germ again and found it inside.

igi

4. Im you have a compost pile id compost that ish

5. I don't have a compost... I'm wondering if diluting it in a gal of distilled and boiling it would be worth while? Is it too strong? I've got the soil pot still empty, but have a baby going in it soon. Should I dump it in the soil?

Shouldi just toss it?

igi

6. IMO 1 cup of kelp meal is not worth the trouble. Start a new soak :p
    Then again the stuff grows out here like crazy.

7. How do I make a REAL tea? I have kelp and alfalfa meal... Just mix like 1/2 cup of each and let it sit over night?
    Thanks for everything guys...really.

igi

8. #8 Chunk, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
    If its been sitting that long it has probably broken down to it's base elements. We like to use kelp for the compounds it contains as well as the minerals. That being said, it could be used as a concentrate that would offer a minor nutrient charge to your watering program.

As long as it doesn't have any fungus growing in it, use approximately 1/4 cup per gallon to water.

In the future, 1/2 cup each of kelp and alfalfa meal in a 5 gallon bucket and aerated for 24 hours or so will provide you with a great tea that your plants will respond well to.

Chunk

EDIT: I should add that if it has an alcohol smell, discard it.

9. How do you aerate it? Lol sorry for the terribly novice questions...but that's why I love this site :) :)

10. #10 Sam Mcgee, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
    Hey Iggi,

An aquarium pump, airline hose and an airstone should be more than sufficient.

It should run you well under 20 bucks and possibly closer to Ten if you shop around.

Hope that helped you.

p.s. - make sure the pump is positioned above the water level in the bucket.

11. I made a kelp syrup by letting 2cups of Kelp sit in 1pint of water and allowed some of the water to vap off. I add a tablespoon of this per 5gal and water in once per week.

12. how long did u allow this to sit?

13. The purpose of the syrup is the nutes then not the stimulants right?

14. Yep

Its my all purpose, with some added ProTeKt for good measure, I mainly use it on cooking soil mixes just for a slight boost.

15. I'm going to be doing this with dandelions and comfrey in the near future...:D

16. #17 jerry111165, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
    And why not?

Edit - you just might find yourself some answers to this question that you posted in another thread as well as the one above - Where can i learn a thing or two about organic fertilizers?

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951823-botanicals.html

J