Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Keeping your short-term memory.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by The King Lizard, Sep 20, 2012.

1. I have been on a t-break for around 2 weeks and I was wondering how many time(days) should I wait between smoke sessions if I want to keep my short-term memory?

2. Well first off, this happens to many people, not just smokers. But it can cause some people to lose there short term memory. In college anatomy and physiology, I learned that research is "inconclusive", meaning not exactly proven. I have elder friends who have smoked the majority of there life and most are all good. It's how you use it. It's like sports, you have to practice to maintain that high level, well same rules apply to the brain. Use it, and you'll never lose it.

3. I agree that using your short-term memory will help having a better one and might make a big change if you smoke everyday but don't you remember the first times you toked while watching a movie and didnt remembered shit at the end? Weed as a direct effect on my short-term memory and my question is more about the effect of the "drug" on the brain and how long does it take to wear off (only speaking about memory)!

4. Ok to be more precise, when your body is high, your brain tosses out all the info it's receiving in the temporal lobe. This is the part of the brain that encodes memory, and decides whether or not to store the memory. When your stoned, this part of the brain goes into "throw it all out "mode. The real long term worry us smokers should have is the cannabinoids. Our brain stops making these natural good signals because the thc is creating them, this rendering them useless.

5. So the time that I should wait in between the times I smoke is the time receptors take to restore? (basicly a whole t-break?)

6. Yes, it takes your brain give or take 90 days to start producing its own "happy" hormone. Basically, your stress is relieved thru smoking, thus your body stop producing. So stress will be high depending on your time smoking. I've been smoking a decade, I'm fine, but healthy diet and exercise help.

7. Haha I had been smoking for around one year and it was pretty easy to stop, had no stress or anything. The only thing that kept me from stopping is that it's hard to say no when a friend offer you a freshly packed bowl of dank!

I would like to keep my tolerance low because it will be much more enjoyable, I think twice a week would work but it's hard to know without trying!:smoke:

8. That lose your short term memory thing is only a temporary thing meaning only while you're stoned...DARE just tries to use that to scare kids.

9. Well I think it actually stays as long as you have a tolerance because it has to do with the receptors in your brain. I just want to have no tolerance so I never get to the point where I don't get high anymore and enjoy the herb a lot more :)

10. Well I think that t breaks are completely pointless, unless your cleaning up at least 90-120 days. This is how long it takes thc to leave your blood, fat cells, hair, nails, etc. Just try not to smoke multiple times a day if you really want to keep it low. If you smoke a few more years, you to will be a daily smoker. Happens to most of us.

11. If youre having short term memory problems dont blame the herb, do you supplement at all, I recommend fish oil, vinpocetine and toss a little choline and ginseng in there if you want.

12. Do you even smoke

smoking weed absolutely can cause short term memory impairment. i've smoked almost every day for the last month or so (two month t break prior to that) and it's very clear that it fucks my short term memory, i can barely remember what happened monday of this week while when i'm not smoking i can think/remember much clearer.

13. [quote name='"ddog7x"']

Do you even smoke

smoking weed absolutely can cause short term memory impairment. i've smoked almost every day for the last month or so (two month t break prior to that) and it's very clear that it fucks my short term memory, i can barely remember what happened monday of this week while when i'm not smoking i can think/remember much clearer.[/quote]

You didn't read my post thoroughly did you?

I said it fucks it up while you're stoned, there is no way it perma fucks it up. You smoked for this many days straight and your memory was fucked up but now you are sober so you remember clearly again, that's what I said.

14. Oh and eat blue berries. It's good for short term memory.

15. yeah i was smoking everyday when i got to 3 months of everyday smoking i could really notice how much it fucked my memory so i took a t break for 3 months and only smoke friday,saturday, and sunday memory is fine now

16. why would you want to keep short term memory ? am i missing something ? wont all you do is forget shit ? lol man im too high for this

17. [quote name='"DroMontesino"']Ok to be more precise, when your body is high, your brain tosses out all the info it's receiving in the temporal lobe. This is the part of the brain that encodes memory, and decides whether or not to store the memory. When your stoned, this part of the brain goes into "throw it all out "mode. The real long term worry us smokers should have is the cannabinoids. Our brain stops making these natural good signals because the thc is creating them, this rendering them useless.[/quote]

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Memory is stored all over the brain. Memories are connections goong off in your brain. The temperal lobe is mainly responsible for hearing things And transforming sounds into information that can be interprated. The hippocampus is the part of the brain that is mostly responsible for learning.

He's right about cannabanoids, but the fact that these are not manufactured naturally in your brain after heavy boughts of canabis use has nothing to do with short term memory. Fo some research before giving people false information.

Anyways, in my personal experience, if lay off the pot for a half a week to a week, i can notice my memory and organization become better. It may take longer or shorter depending on different variable such as how healthy you are, but you will start noticing differences soon.

Also always try to engage your mind. I find that the medicine makes me a little foggy, but if i really try to think things through, they become easier to remmeber a. Your memory regenerates itself in a more timely manner.

Hope this helps
    Adriann

18. Get ready to give that little friend up.

If you smoke enough, you will most likely lose it a lot anyway. I can't remember what song to put on after I think of it, from the time it takes to go from one letter to another on my iPhone.

19. Thanks! Thats the kind of answer I was looking for :)

20. [quote name='"adriann"']

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Memory is stored all over the brain. Memories are connections goong off in your brain. The temperal lobe is mainly responsible for hearing things And transforming sounds into information that can be interprated. The hippocampus is the part of the brain that is mostly responsible for learning.

He's right about cannabanoids, but the fact that these are not manufactured naturally in your brain after heavy boughts of canabis use has nothing to do with short term memory. Fo some research before giving people false information.

Anyways, in my personal experience, if lay off the pot for a half a week to a week, i can notice my memory and organization become better. It may take longer or shorter depending on different variable such as how healthy you are, but you will start noticing differences soon.

Also always try to engage your mind. I find that the medicine makes me a little foggy, but if i really try to think things through, they become easier to remmeber a. Your memory regenerates itself in a more timely manner.

Hope this helps
    Adriann[/quote]

Really Adrian?? Was that necessary?? Go get your Rn, and Bsn before you talk trash you don't know, I got mine... The hippocampus is located in the medial temporal lobe, and its roll is to decide whether or not to store a memory, when your high, it becomes impaired.