keeping a male alive for its pollen

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Ill420, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I have a monster plant thats a male and i don't wont to just throw it away. The problem is I only have one place i can really grow and i have four females in my crop. is there anything i can do to get the pollen from the plant now? the plants started to flower about a week ago and the male is showing balls but they havent grown out from the internode yet

2. No, the male will not produce usable pollen until the flowers open, and then it will dust any girls nearby every time the wind blows. If you want to preserve that male and ensure the girls are seedless, then I suggest you clone the male right away and then rip up the original. I take it you have a good reason for keeping the male - like, it's incredibly potent? I am maintaining a male sativa for precisely that reason, I selected it from 10 years of sativas, at 3 weeks it smelled really strong. These days its clones are first male but then hermie. It is my genetic Oaxaca line and I keep seeds (hermie seeds) from it as insurance.

3. cut a branch/growth tip and put it in a glass of good water and put it in a window. it will slowly produce the pollen you're looking for.

4. thanks i'll do that

5. If you keep a male close to females your buds will be full of seeds.

If you just want SOME seeds for next year, keep one male, keep him small by keeping him in a small pot. Keep him well away from the girls. When the ladies are well into flowering, put a plastic bag round the guy, give it a good shake. Put the bag around one branch of one lady, shake again, secure it in place with a rubber band, leave for a week or so. At harvest that branch will have a hundred seeds or more. Apologies to folks who have read that bit already