Keep it medical

Discussion in 'General' started by Nuggetawesome, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Hello everyone and good morning/afternoon/what have you I just want to start this thread to talk about why we should keep marijuana medical and not legalize it for recreational use, or atleast not yet. Lets begin with how things are going. Right now in California all u have to do if you want to use legal cannabis is go to a doctor and pay for your recommendation. Once obtained you may go into dispensaries or use a delivery service to have up to 8oz of bud 1oz of concentrates and of course your edibles. You may also go back to your doctor and see them again about being allowed to obtain even more cannabis then that.
    Once you have your cannabis you may smoke anywhere that that is not a non smoking zone, anywhere that is not within 1000 feet of a school or youth center unless within a private residence. Seems pretty legal to me.
    Now if its legalized you will take a few risks. First of all with it being legal for recreational use, it is now just like alcohol no more consuming outside. Im sorry but I think this is kind of lame only being able to smoke inside your own home. No more going out for a nice hike and medicating while out in the beautiful wilderness, atleast legally that is. Also think about the usual 4/20 festivals that take place OUTSIDE. Also realize that you will be giving up how much cannabis you may have going from 8oz down to 1oz... 
    Next Washington is now trying to ban concentrates. For all u dabbers out there sorry, your wax is now illegal once again, along with hash and kief. So you now may only smoke buds and only in your home... wow. 
    And I'm sure most of you guys have all ready heard of Colorado banning LEAGL pot shops from opening up. This is completely retarded if it is legal why the hell is it still illegal in a way. Now you are still going to have problem obtaining cannabis, and it is legal in your state this makes NO SENSE.
    These are just a few reasons in which I believe we should not legalize cannabis for recreational use, atleast not yet. All I am really saying is don't rush into it. We've got a good thing going for us and we can make it better. But don't rush the legalization thinking it will be better when in all reality it will only be stricter. Be patient and be a patient use your medical cannabis as your state allows you to and in the mean time LETS FIX these cannabis laws so that it may be legal in the same way it pretty much is right now in California. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/21/puffing-but-paranoid-seattle-s-first-4-20-with-legal-pot.html

http://blog.sfgate.com/smellthetruth/2013/05/17/washington-plans-hash-ban-i-502-draft-rules-bar-concentrates/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/marijuana-legalization_n_3639286.html

Keep it medical !

2. I love weed and am not the most Pro legalization person around.. but IMO let's give the MMJ system back to real medical patients, not try to get even more people to abuse it.

3. #3 Tree Burner, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    I disagree, I think there should legitimate reasons for it to be illegal.

Just because medical patients might have it better the other way does not justify it being illegal. There needs to be a process and proof when something is taken away from us.

4. #4 SomeRand, Aug 10, 2013
    It's about principle. It's a plant as much as roses and tomatoes are. Why should I have to lie to a doctor about back pain in order to use it legally? The only rational policy is 100% legalization with no taxes or regulations.

Government regulations stemming from legalization is not a reason to keep it medicinal. It's a good reason to avoid said regulations. If you're saying the only way to do this is by keeping it medicinal, I'm tempted to disagree.

Define abuse.

Tell me who is "trying to get more people to abuse it" and how.

Also why should any body of people discourage anybody from smoking weed?

5. See the problem with keeping it as only medical is that not everyone who needs it medicinally can obtain it. The only people privileged enough to even get that doctor's recommendation are people who are considered severely in need. There are other people who need it who don't fit the parameters of who legally has a right to it.

The amount you can buy doesn't go down if it's made fully legal - you can still get 8 oz for the same price you'd buy it for. The only reason places like CO are trying to shut down dispensaries is because it's not legal federally. These dispensaries can't run legal businesses because the federal law is stating that their business still isn't legal, which puts a hindrance on things like finances for these budding businesses as the federally owned banks won't let them open up accounts.

The best thing to do (that probably won't happen for a while) is it becoming legal at a federal level. But don't we all wish.  :smoke:

6. There's also the question of do people have to "need" cannabis in order to use it legally.

There's no reason that is should be a medical neccessity in order to be taken advantage of.

If someone wants to use it recreationally, nobody should  be able to say "oh you don't actually need it so you'll be thrown in a cage for using it" .

I completely agree. We shouldn't have to justify our usage with this or that fucking diagnosis.

You're right, we shouldn't be at the point where people have to need it for it to be recognized. I shouldn't be dying of cancer just to be able to legally smoke a j. 

8. I disagree. Personal freedoms should be respected, who is anyone to tell me what I can and can't do with my body? All drugs should be legalized.

9. Colorado didnt ban shops, just some cities did. Just like how there are some dry counties for liquor. Once they see all the money the bigger cities make they will give in.

10. #10 Jmosley, Aug 10, 2013
    Abuse: to use wrongly or improperly.

The OP. He isn't urging the sick or people suffering from pain to get on MMJ, he seems to be implying that those of us who want recreational weed go and sign up for MMJ. That's what I took from his post at least. /shrug. If you didn't, how did you take it?

I don't care if the whole world smokes weed, or if I am the only one who does. MMJ isn't there to make life easier on recreational users, there really are people who benefit from it on a very tangible level. I am not one of those people so why should I take part in their program?

11. Right, and how can anybody determinately claim a person's weed habits are "wrong or improper"?
    What I'm getting at is that government should not try to protect people from themselves. If that's the case they should also make sure people aren't abusing cheeseburgers and soda. Who decides what is propper and not propper and for whom?

I was under the impression that OP belives recreational use is either not a priority or is worth being ignored.

If what he's saying is I should have to lie about a medical condition to smoke recreationally... well that's self-refuting.

12. I'm not arguing against weed legalization or if anyone's weed use itself is wrong here... I'm against abusing the medical marijuana system.

Maybe it'll clear things up if I paraphrase his post based on how I read it. "Screw recreational laws because they aren't good enough, everyone go get your MMJ license so you can use weed recreation ally"

13. I'm not a big smoker myself, but I believe people should be able to use what they want without being persecuted for it. Brings up the old tobacco/alcohol arguement. Legalizing drugs isnt gonna make many more people use them.

14. Only read the first sentence so sorry if this is out of line but......piss off