Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Keck Clips

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by theshedward, Oct 16, 2012.

1. So me and my roommates are all putting in money together to get a Build-a-Bong by blaze glass. Its going to have a disk diffused base, small ice catcher top, and the n the blaze shower head pre-cooler. Basically what im wondering is: What size keck clips do we need for each joint?

Neck to base = unknown size
    base to pre-cooler = 18 mm joint to 18 mm joint adapter to 14.5 mm joint
    Pre-Cooler to Carbon Adapter = 14.5mm to 14.5 mm

the keck clip sizes just dont make sense to me. Also do i need the clip to go from the bong - adapter then from adapter to precooler, or will just one work?

2. I don't know what a keck clip is ... But if your putting money together why don't you just get a nice glass roar or something .. Stoners are supposed to make life simple x)

3. Do you mean "K-Clip"?

4. It can be either way really, keck or k-clip works both ways

5. Yep! The idea of a clip to hold ground glass joints together was patented by Hermann Keck in 1984 (source).

OP, can you clarify the joint sizes on the base & pre-cooler? I'm guessing the base has an 18.8mm joint and the pre-cooler has a 14.4mm, and that's an 14.4mm->18.8mm adapter (female->male)?

6. Sorry I left for a few days, yeah PC, its exactly what your saying

7. My ground glass has no problem staying together. I have broken my last two bongs because the ground glass got stuck together.

I like cali blown inline stemless bongs. Check them out

8. I'm in a dorm room and were planning for it being passed. Last year the bowl would sometimes pull the pre- cooler out, or the downstem. Its also a Mix n Match bong, so it kinda needs to be clamped together. Were getting a stemless by the way, Double disc diffused by blaze.

Just because its stemless, it doesn't mean you don't need to take precautions. Also i'm not checking them out.

9. Be careful tokin' in a dorm, man...it can be easy to get caught.

I think you'll need a "14/20" (14.4mm) clip for pre-cooler to downstem, and a "19/22" (18.8mm) clip for the downstem to bong joint. The pre-cooler to carbon filter joint I'm not certain about, but I'd guess a 14/20 would work, especially since the carbon adapter probably "flares" out, right?

For the record, the first number in the clip size is the outer diameter of the male joint, the second number is the outer diameter of the female joint (a female joint that accepts a 18.8mm male is typically ~22mm around the outside).

Hope this helps, man. :bongin: