Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by NFloyd2357, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Do you beleive in karma? I don't know if i do, but i still live by it. If the whole world beleived in it, it'd be a damn better place, wheter it was existent or not.

thoughts?

2. The way i see it, if you believe in karma your just looking for it.

Shit happens.

3. I kinda do, but I'm not sure if its exactly Karma, in fact I dont even know where the phrase Karma came from.
    I'm founded on pretty damn strong faith, so I know there's more to it than what we thing, or what we think we know...which is squat. I believe there is something in the air, more than just what we breathe that cant be explained.

Does what go around really come around? or is it just a coincedince? I think its a coincidence. But what about when you give everything you have to give & left with nothing, then somehow someway out of the blue you are rewarded with more than what you gave? if you have experienced that then you know there is something else at work here.

4. If everybody got what they really deserved, the ground would open up and swallow most of us. Some say, "Karma". I say, "Grace." IMO Much Love.

5. Karma, literally translated, mean "action." There are three types of karma, that which is from "past lives," that which is from this life, and that which will be in a "future life."

I think that by saying "past life," it is really referring to karma (actions) preformed by other people (who may or may not be living at this time, and who you may or may not come in contact with any day. Just another normal person) which affects you.

The second type, "present karma," is the result of actions preformed by you, now, that affect you somehow.

The third type, "future karma," is the results of actions preformed by you, that affect another person.

I don't believe that if you are a "bad person," you will nessacarily accumulate the results of "negative karma," but that that is what you are sending out to affect other people, thereby affecting them with the "bad karma." This is conversly true for "good karma" also.

What I think this "karma" is saying, is that your actions affect both yourself and others, and that other's actions affect both themselves, yourself, and others.

The point of spreading "good karma" (read: actions with a positive intention) then you may not recieve something in return in your current state, but that person who is affected by your action will recieve that positive result, and thereby benefeit yourself in a "past or future life."

6. No Radiohead fans, huh?

7. No mean to sound negative but.
    Why Yes I Believe in it but ony the bad side of it, and no I don't live by it, fuck her she's a bitch.

8. Why does everyone always talk about karma and neglect to talk about dharma? They go hand in hand. Following your dharma will lead you to good karma. Or so say the Hindus. I just find it ignorant, yet not surprising, that people only talk about half the story. How can you pursue good karma if you don't know what right actions to take?

9. I think of dharma as more of a cultural and ethical code dictating the way they believe one should act, whereas karma is an explanation akin to "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

10. I guess but you're taking the idea of karma and warping it to your own standards. You've redefined karma and thus creating a distortion of the word. Get your own word if you want to think of it like that. Don't pervert an existing idea with your own ideas and then propogate that idea because it just causes confusion. Yes karma is based on "good actions = good returned to you" but what is good? The Hindu idea of karma is that good actions = following your dharma i.e. do what you're supposed to do and good things will come to you.

Westerners have taken the idea of karma and apply it to their own moral code. I'm not saying it's bad to do, but you've changed the idea of karma so you're misrepresenting it. Just be clear that you're not really talking about karma; you're just saying if you do nice things, nice things will happen to you ... nice things != the "right" thing i.e. your dharma.

Example in the Mahabharata, Ekalavya wishes to be an archer, despite his caste. After being rejected by Drona (the best archer teacher) he pursues excellence in archery. After achieving his goal he wants to show Drona and then says he will do anything Drona wants him to ... Since Ekalyavya was not supposed to be an archer due to his low caste, Drona asks him to cut off his thumb (which he does) and then can no longer be an excellent archer. You may think his pursuit of being an excellent archer is admirable, but it's not b/c that wasn't his job. He did not follow his dharma and thus received bad karma.

Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but I find the way people talk of karma to be nothing like the original Hindu idea of karma.

Westerners see karma as if you follow the golden rule, you'll be lucky. It's not the same idea IMO.

11. Radiohead FTW!

12. I never said that by doing nice things, nice things will happen to you. I said that if you are nice to somebody, than that person experiences you niceness. Just by doing nice things (or the "right things") doesn't bring goodness into your life, it brings it into someone else's life. That person is just as aware as you, and he also says "I" just like you, there's no difference. The highest levels of Hinduism teach that you and that persons are actually the same person, just that you feel different in everyday life. Therefore, by doing good things for another person, you are really doing good things for yourself. It doesn't mean that the body that does the nice things will also receive nice things in return, only that those nice things done by someone, will be experienced by another person.

13. I agree with your statements mostly because they're based on logic that people make other people nicer. i.e. together people are nice [as in a society] yet the individual is evil. This is the main theme of Lord of the Flies.

But still I refer to my story as a refutation of this idea being termed karma. Eklavya praised and worshipped Drona. He even offered his services by doing whatever Drona said ... and Drona made him cut his thumb off! According to Hindu definitions, Eklavya lost his thumb b/c he had bad karma by persisting Drona. According to your definition he should have had good karma, no?

14. There's nothing I love more then sitting blazed as fuck with an acoustic guitar and belting that song out in front of people. Some girls randomly started doing the weird backing vocals at the end last time I played it. :smoking:

I live pretty positively and try to be as benevolent as possible. Driving drunk people home, always trying to see the good in people, etc. and I seem to get some positive vibes back whether it's meeting girls at work, living comfortably, or making enough money to spoil myself sometimes with all kinds of musical instruments and toys.

15. I believe in karma, but i believe many misinterpret what it actually means.
    Many like to believe it implies balance to the world, that it is some unnatural force that almost controls responses and choices. Karma is simply actions and response, causes and effects. You throw a pebble into the lake, the water begins to ripple outwards, and before you know it the whole body of water is affected, if the the throw was strong enough. Karma is the idea that our actions have this intent, except there are attached positives and negatives to the "ripples" WE send out in the world and come back to us. So yes, i believe living a strongly positive life will create "karma" and the same for a strongly negative life. YES there are obviously exceptions in life, and NO this is not an omnipotent idea, but in the long run, in the daily life, its there.

But maybe i'm just misinterpreting.....

16. #17 sikander, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
    Karma implies there's a higher order, which I cheerfully reject. I think people don't like the idea of there not being a higher order, so when random, insane, completely unjust shit happens, instead of accepting that shit happens, they decide it's some kind of mysterious force balancing things out and it was just what they had in store for themselves.

It's easier to justify in religions with reincarnation because there's no need ever to prove actual past wrongdoing to justify present wrongs. It was all in those past lives which are conveniently impossible to document!

17. How does this all work then?

18. How does what all work?

19. karma is a universal law like newtons law (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) and can't be wished away by simply not believing it. it is a rule that buddha put into a word that is known as karma now and in english there is a phrase "What goes around comes around". so give good and get good, give bad and get bad. It is just science.