justcallmesir's "holy bleep im germinating OVER 200 seeds" grow journal!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by justcallmesir, May 13, 2011.

1. also... guys... i made a thread in the indoor growing section: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...hid-250w-looking-eliminate-veg-time-read.html

im looking to add a 150 or 250 watt hps/mh light that i can dedicate to vegging all my plants (in the future..not going to be using it this grow obviously).

you can read the thread at the link posted above but if you cant be bothered basically i wanna know which light is more suitable to be used continuously in 18/6 cycle to veg anywhere from 5 to 12 party cups?

i plan on vegging in those party cups till they hit about 12in tall then moving them inside under my 600w hps that i'll be using strictly for flowering cycles in the future.

help?? thank you.

2. Honestly I always hear about how MH bulbs are perfect for veg because of the color spectrum that they emmit....
    and they tend to give off more lumens than HPS and you'll probably only need the 150w MH for that many cups.

hope this helps

3. Sorry for the lack of updates folks...up until today there hasnt but much to note...

with that said:

UPDATE FOR MONDAY:

Today i had a decision to make...to top or not to top...to lst or not lst...so supercrop or not supercrop.

needless to say i did all 3 (even though i had my heart set on starting 12/12 soon for the grow in progress).

I topped every plant.
    I lst'd only the ones that were tallest.
    I did supercrop as well (Shoots that were long enough to be pinched)

Im hoping to give these things a kick start and a kick ass yield (hopefully as im trying to improve to 1g per watt i think my best yet is .75g per watt)

im hoping someone will help me out with the LST along the way as (for some reason) at the start of flowering i usually have to cut the strings (or in my case ribbons) or a branch breaks or the string snaps off.

i'd like to train them around ideally to produce bushes.

right now i just tied down the very top and the very bottom of the plant (pulling the main stem the opposite way of that the top is being pulled)...if you get what i mean.

i was gonna go for the FIM method but i figured it will be crowded enough with all those plants under the 600w.

the plants were all treated with spinosad as a preventive measure against pests.

im hoping to keep height in check as i dont want to end up with popcorn at the end of this grow.

Also...if you haven't been following along it should be noted that the only two plants left in grow bags are the very sativa bagseed (same generation of beans too) im working with in the "party cup grow"

i noticed today that they appear to be much more indica dominant now than what i remember the original mother looking like so im almost certain now that it indeed was pollinated by a nearby male as the mother looked at least 75% sativa or better.

*the original mother plant of all these sativa bagseeds is pictured below (its the really crappy/small pic.) it got a little taller than it should have as i tortured it.

the offspring of that mother in the grow bags doesn't resemble it in leaf size or structure. these offspring seem to be very indica...hoping it was an unknown nearby male now as it may give me something great.

as far as the party cup grow is concerned things are moving along...i still havent eliminated anymore of them but i will soon as i see a few lanky ones and a few runts. i expect to get down to 80 or so by harvest time.

hoping to get some good smoke!

thanks for checking the journal out. if you have questions/comments please feel free.

thank you and enjoy the pics (as promised)

Attached Files:

4. ^ how long did that take to type. Lol. Looks good bro.

5. lol awhile actually...only because im not taking notes really...more like memorizing all the info everyday and reposting it here.

pretty much.

thanks though i appreciate you stopping by!

6. Thursday's Update:

Today was a relatively slow day...killed off 13 seedlings that weren't up to par...now the magic number for the party cup grow is 102. i eliminated more runts and plants that were weak/sick...a few looked yellow and id rather eliminate all problem plants...im looking a genetically stable plant....

i will eliminate roughly 20 or so more before harvest.

the grow that was already in progress is going well. they appeared to respond well to the lst i did yesterday. one looks like its already recovering from being topped faster than the rest.

the nodes on my bagseed sativa in 1 gal grow bags are EXTREMELY close...more so than ever before (which excites me).

anyways thanks for reading.

7. Why don't you bottom water all the plants? Just poke a hole in the bottom of each cup, put them in any kind of shallow, big container and just fill the container with water every couple of days. Would take a lot less time... If what they're sitting on are lids, you could even just flip them upside down!

8. #48 justcallmesir, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    update for saturday/sunday...

i watered all my plants...i should have started feeding the party cup grow but decided to not feed them...instead ill wait till this next week. i plan on eliminating the ones most sensitive to not being fed...try to eliminate the "picky" ones.

my grow in progress has responded extremely well the methods ive used. 3 of them are already have the two new tops stretching out (ie. they've recovered the fastest from the topping) they also love the supercropping as well.

i noticed one of the lst'd plants has its side shoots starting to grow more rapidly than before (another good sign)...

hope i can lst well enough this time to keep them tied down till 2-3 weeks into flowering.

im mostly doing this because of the limited space/light i have since the party cup grow so far has taken over my normal grow area.

the temps with two 600s is INSANE...i dont wanna say i overlooked it (got an a/c to combat the temps) but its for sure taken me for a ride...the a/c has been running very frequently to keep the temps right around/under 80.

during the summer it should be interesting when temps reach 100+ outside...may have to run all day long. i have 4 fans im using as well. 2 are blowing on the lights/over the plants...1 blowing on the extremely hot borrowed ballast and one above the whole grow on the ceiling circulating the air around.

so im sure air circulation isnt the problem...but we'll see how it goes...so far its ok...

humidity is hanging right at 50%...i wish it were a little higher but the plants seem ok. at least my grow in progress. party cup grow many have started turning yellow but there are a some that are still 100% green...so those will be the first ones i keep!

anyway. not much else to report on at this moment in time. thanks for viewing.

9. Hello sir. Looks like an interesting grow. Hahaha. Just wanted to get subbed.
    Oh and I was wondering what you electric bill is? Lol. Best of luck to you and happy growing!

10. the bill isnt too bad...it would cost about $90 (or so) for a month of 18/6 with both 600s...and i think about $60 a month for 12/12.

normally it costs me $30 for a month of 12/12 with 1 600w and $45 for 18/6

i think...i have it all figured out and written down at my grow location (which im not at presently)...

but those are what the bills normally are from my memory.

thats not factoring in fans, a/c, etc.

it can get expensive from time to time...getting my first bill for a month of 18/6 with both of those 600s should be interesting..

i burn through way more electricity in the summer when the a/c has to run almost all day during the light cycle. my a/c uses up 1600-1800 watts i believe (i cant remember exactly).

electricity is one of my biggest expenses. if i had the means id be growing outdoors almost exclusively :smoke:

11. monday's update:

so today i eliminated more seedlings from the mystery strain...i went from 102 down to 87 currently...i decided to toss out the ones who seemed the most stressed out from not being fed veg nutes...

the rest i kept and fed 1/4 the recommended strength for the first feeding (as i always do)

i didnt feed my grow in progress (i'll do it tomorrow) since i ran out of bloom booster and since it was memorial day all the nearby hydro stores were closed...they look extremely healthy except one has odd looking spots (just a few)...i'll feed tomorrow ;)

tomorrows update WILL include pics unless i get too damn high to remember (ps i love working on my grow while buzzed...especially when i LST or trim...)

12. Tuesday's Update:

grow in progress:

Ok today i fed my plants Bontanicare Pure Blend pro grow (that shit stinks fyi) as i ran out of FF Grow Big and wanted to try a new grow fert.

I also fed FF big bloom (im definitely sticking with this)

i'll be using bio bizz bio bloom during flower with the big bloom

i fed 2tsp of botanicare, 1tbl of big bloom per gallon of water. (ie. feeding full strength on the nutes in veg)

Plants look ok but one looks a bit odd. i didnt get a chance to get a pic of it...like 2-3 of the leaves have 2-3 small yellow spots...it might be water left on the leaf and the light burned it im not 100% though but the rest of them look very good so im optimistic as of now.

They are really starting to adapt to the lst and all but 1-2 of the plants have fully recovered from being topped.

Party cup grow:
    nothing new to report here. still waiting to see how the plants respond to yesterday's feeding (quarter strength dose)

Attached Files:

13. Damn It's still a sea of party cups lol. I think I counted like 85ish.

14. close...theres 87 right now.

im not sure how far down im gonna get the plant count...im open to opinions...

personally i thought do maybe...60 ish?

im hoping to net at least 400g from them now as i suspect they may be more indica dominant now that i see what they look like...the two plants in grow bags from my "grow already in progress" are the same seed generation as those in the party cups...they all came from the same sativa dom mother...the father is unknown since it was a nearby male someone else let drop pollen as i didnt have any hermies that grow but ended up with 300 or so seeds total...

if there were indeed knocked up by a indica dom male then this will be very interesting smoke/genetics as it could be anything. i think i'll take the best 3-4 plants and breed them...i make make S1's of the best female if there is one remarkably better than the rest...

15. also...i'll more than likely just take pics of the best looking plants and have you guys give me your opinions...im pretty new to this side of mj growing so im open to all the help i can get...i pretty much know how to yield the buds...just not breed the seeds. i have an idea of what i should be looking for...

16. Update for Wednesday:

ok today i began work on my new veg box...got it painted...think i unintentionally caught a buzz on the damn paint fumes! lol but anyway...

party cup grow:

a solid 75-80% of the plants are responding well to their first veg feeding. some still look unhappy. i might junk those that dont respond by tomorrow (looking for a few strong plants that arent too picky)

a few (5 or so) look actually worse since the feeding (which is odd considering the rest responded well) so they will for sure be on the chopping block tomorrow.

im still not sure how low i should get the plant total while still getting a good solid yield at the same time? ideas?

Grow in progress:

Things look good except one White Widow (seedsman) and my Jack 33 freebie.

the WW looks great except two of the leaves have a few brownish splotches on them (see pic below)

the Jack 33 looks ok but some of bud sites are slightly yellow..idk why.

all the others look great with no signs of problems..

im also getting irritated with the occasional gnat. the little tiny ones...ive only found 2-3 but thats AFTER i treated the leaves with spinosad (which is odd since in the past it use to nuke those ******)

i will keep track of it closely...they dont seem to be causing a problem yet (as i have only encountered a few...and killed them)

enjoy the pics

Attached Files:

17. awesome journal. im gonna be following

18. ok guys...dont call this an update but more like a "heads up".

This party cup grow is laggin and cutting into my grow in progress (i want to flower real soon)

so what im gonna do is narrow these plants down w/ the quickness.

Today i will pick the best looking nute starved plant (intentionally missed a feeding to see which handle not being fed the best).

im going to transplant 25 of the best into 1 gal grow bags today. i'll let them stay in veg for a week then turn it into a 1gal sog.

this way i can move into flowering sooner than i would if i stick with party cups (they take forever to veg with so many of them all fighting for light)

also...these freaking fungus gnats just showed up recently and didn't respond well to the spinosad (idk why it always worked before) and i tried the sugar water near the plants. it did the trick and caught a dozen or so of them but i know theres still more.

so today im gonna cook up some natural play sand. thanks for the tip (from a poster whose name i cant remember in another thread i made)

the sand should finish them off.

the gnats arent causing me too many problems yet...i just wanna nip them in the bud before they take over.

if you guys have any other ideas that would be great too.

oh...if spinosad seems to be loosing its effect would it be wise to mix more spinosad than recommended on the bottle w/ water? i was thinking maybe doubling up the dose of whatever the bottle says (dont have it near me).

19. Saturday's Update:

Ok.

The plants have been narrowed down. I have 20 plants that made the cut. 7-8 of them are Master Kush though. i picked the best looking plants of the sativa bagseed. i chose the ones that seemed to tolerate not being fed the best. they were transplanted into 1gal grow bags and the rest were eliminated.

so the "party cup" grow is not the "grow bag" grow. it'll still be grown sog style.

Update for the grow in progress:
    I baked play sand in the oven yesterday. set the oven to 300 for over an hour total (i mixed it up after it sat 45min there and let it go for another 30 min)

then it was allowed to cool and now covers the top 1-2inches of soil. so bye-bye fungus gnats.. the sugar water mixture has been working but i decided to put the sand to eliminate them from breeding.

the sativa bagseed in the grow bags (from the grow in progress) looks really healthy. ive found out now that not every pheno of the sativa bagseed likes to get topped as some respond well with two main colas and other continue to grow one main cola (even after topping)...and yes i topped after the 3 leaf set. so thats interesting.

other than that i dont have much to say.

thanks for reading.

20. Update for Monday:

Ok. so today is the DAY (as far as the grow in progress is concerned). I have officially switched them over to a 12/12 cycle. I have topped them once (all but 2 of them i think), LST'd, and super cropped. Minus a few small mistakes on 2 out of 10 plants these things look GREAT.

In veg i learned that the jack 33 pheno i got was more nute sensitive than the rest (WW, bagseed sativa, and bubblegummer) however it also has responded to being Lst'd the best. very bushy individual.

So far ive been pleased. It hasnt been my easiest grow to veg but not hardly any issues except the jack 33 nute sensitivity and the fungus gnats who are stuck in the soil ;)

i caught the gnat issue early as i didnt notice any real bad reaction from the plants and never found more than a few here and there.

Ive included pics of them today (first day of 12/12) for reference.

I hope these things dont stretch too much though as the bagseed grow is already taking up all the space it can...

Party cup grow:

Ive narrowed it down to 20 plants. 7-8 of them are master kush and the rest are the sativa.

Im going to keep these in veg for another week. they are very small due to the fact my hps was failing (i didnt know what the issue was at first) but i went into my grow room to notice my hps wasn't shining very brightly (ive used it for 2 grows only so far) i took out my old hps (used 2 grows also) and put it in as a replacement until my new bulbs arrive (ordered 2 600w hps bulbs today $55 shipped!). They aren't anything special but they'll do.

soon as i fired up the system with the replacement is was more than CLEAR that the other bulb was failing as the light was bright as normal. no issues since.

Since i have them narrowed down to 20 plants in 1 gal grow bags i think it needs to be renamed the, "grow bag" grow. just sayin...

im gonna flower these plants in 1 week since i just transplanted on saturday (want them to recover BEFORE going into flower).

they are being removed from the grow room at lights out and being "kept awake" under cfls until their 18/6 cycle is complete then put back in the grow room (dont worry this is done in the dark). i only have to do this for 1 wk and then i'll send them to flower at about 6-7in tall probably..its gonna be SOG style ;)

So far i must say...the master kush beans i bred are some beasts. they tolerated NOT being fed WAY better than the sativa bagseed. almost all of the phenos stayed green while almost all the sativas had SOME yellowing.

they been fed veg nutes last tuesday and will get fed veg nutes again tomorrow (1/2-3/4 dose)

after that...saturday they go into 12/12.

normally i'd do a 24-48hr dark period before going to 12/12 (to jump start the process) but instead since i have two grows going on at once (both flowering at different times) i dont have the luxury as i dont want to give either grow 1-2 days under cfls.

enjoy the pic thanks for looking.

oh! would it be ok to leave the sand in the pots for the rest of the grow? never had gnats before so not experienced with this.

Attached Files: