Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just went to the doctor...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by NeverLoww, Feb 2, 2012.

1. #1 NeverLoww, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    I just went to the doctor today and was prescribed 20mg celexa for anxiety which gives me bad stomach cramps. After a few weeks when the med's are kicked in will I still be able to smoke weed? I really want to be able to smoke the lovely mj but i'm making sure its safe to do while i'm on these pills. Also, please don't tell me to contact a doctor or something, I know that really is the best answer but I posted on here for a reason. Please help gc!

(sorry if this is the wrong forum)

2. Sometimes weed can cause anxiety, so I'm not sure. Do you think that might have been contributing to it?

3. #3 NeverLoww, Feb 2, 2012
    I have no clue honestly, I was heavily smoking weed for probably 2 months, and recently ran out of money so I haven't been able to and I noticed I was a little more blah up until recently and that's it. It generally didn't effect my anxiety at all. I just keep reading mixed reports, some saying it can be awful and some saying it can be fine. I just want to get my facts straight before I decided to toke again.

Just a note, I am purely taking this because I get severe stomach cramps possibly because of my anxiety and i mentioned it to him so of course he quickly prescribed me this pill. I still live with my parent's so I am contemplating just acting like i'm taking the pill every night but just getting rid of them instead. And just try to diet and exercise more. Plus, mj aside, my mom has had suicidal thoughts because of pills like this and I really don't trust them.

4. Just toke up don't trust pills.

Pills kill weed heals

5. Personally. I would stop weed. And see if the anxiety decreases. Also I WOULDNT take those pills.

6. i take prozac for my anxiety and still smoke a hit or 3 a day. it hasnt started to do anything yet as u have to take it a while to build a tolerance. but no it shouldnt interact with weed. so its okay to smoke

7. turn the docs medicine into your own! sell your pills for weed money. the weed will cure your anxiety AND your stomach pains! and hey, if a few extra dollars find their way into your pocket, so what!?! haha jk seriously though, hold off on the pills and just experiment if the weed is helping or hurting your condition. I know it would help me! Last case scenario, try your meds I guess! good luck

8. #8 NeverLoww, Feb 2, 2012
    I really am contemplating not taking them and flushing them. So many people I know have had negative effects from these meds. I think honestly the reason i get them is because I have ibs. During the summer when I worked out a lot and stayed healthy I barely had an Issue. When school started and I started to be lazy and not do shit that's when I had the problems. Plus I heard it takes your sex drive away and yeah well fuck that lol. Probably becoming a weekend smoker instead of being a daily one would be beneficial too.

Edit: Thanks for all the responses too, im glad I haven't been trolled yet like most threads are succumbed to

9. I very rarely need medication, and at most it's just for a cold or soar throat. However I believe that in alot of situations pills should be a last resort after trying mj for it. Obviously mj isn't going to help everything, but for most things like pain then yes.

10. I would take the pills long enough to see if they work before flushing them.

Alot of people around here are pharm haters, but i've seen people change drastically (in a good way) from taking anti anxiety/depression meds.

Also, to answer you're question: I smoked while taking similar pills for years and didn't notice any bad side effects.

11. Why do you not want to ask your doctor? It's not like he's allowed to tell anyone. Or ask some other doctor at a walk-in clinic.

12. i was on the same medication for depression. I didn't smoke when i took the first dose but i almost ended up killing myself. That was new years eve and i went to the hospital the next day and was there for a week in the psych area, so i'm freshly out. I stopped taking that medication after the first dose, now they have switched up my meds like 3 times since then. I found out anxiety contributed greatly to my depression so i feel ya on the anxiety. Weed doesn't really help with the anxiety too long. I just get bakedddd, so i'm just taking my meds as directed and i smoke a shit ton of weed too. All my doctors are on me telling me to quit.

Celexa (an SSRI) targets your Seratonin levels and they say weed interacts with your Seratonin levels as well, basically inhibiting your medicine. I'm not too sure on if that's actually true. Sounds like a crock of shit to me, but that's what my doctors told me.

13. Yeah man.. I'd ditch the pills unless life's too much to handle and you NEED them to continue being productive and active.

DO NOT TAKE DRUGS WHILE ON SSRI'S!

Research!!

14. Yeah I keep hearing bad things about being on an ssri and toking. Like beyond just counteracting the meds. I really am fine daily and I have lived with this for my whole life just fine.

15. Celexa is an antidepressant that is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Basically these types of medications enter your body and withhold your body's ability to suck serotonin back into their cells after being released into the synapse cleft between two nerve endings (how your brain communicates). When your body cannot return serotonin into its holding cell, it stimulates the same serotonin receptors over and over again. This is a theory of curing depression based on the idea that lower level (or duration of being in the synapse between two cells) causes depression.
    Since you would be using a medication off label for anxiety instead of depression, a lot of bad things can go wrong. You add that along with all the actions of cannabinoid receptor stimulation (smokin' weed), and there can be psychological contraindictions that can occur. It's a good read to learn about what you're potentially putting in your body, and all it takes is a few minutes of wikipedia to do that.
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Arm yourself with knowledge. Yeah man.

16. Just do both or no pills
    Pills arnt really for healing,their for getting you dependent on them so you buy more.
    If you take them for a year than stop your anxiety will probably be worse.
    But weed can cause paranoia to so either way there's some type of risk involved.

17. Alright, well I wouldn't be mixing any anti-depressants with weed, and from experience I've gone through so much anxiety/social anxiety, I've smoked weed taken pills, pills aren't the answer face your problems on your own i know it sounds fucked but it's true I've some what outgrown my anxiety I don't seem to notice it anymore and I don't take pills anymore I smoke weed once and a while :smoke:

18. Heed this advice. I'm on 30 mg's of Cipralex (A high dose of SSRI), and all you can look forward to on something like this, is being numbed out. You won't feel bad, or good, ever, unless you smoke up. Don't ignore the pills your doctor is giving you, he's most likely gone to school for a stretch of years studying medicine whereas you haven't. Try them, and see if they aid, or are detrimental to your anxiety. If you don't find they help, flush them and smoke up.

19. Thanks for all the perspectives guys, I did search around myself and looked around but I figured hearing other peoples ideas would be a good idea also. Just a note on what I'm thinking, I took my first dose last night and woke up with bad stomach pains during the night and woke up with a migraine. I called the doctor and he said that the side effects should go away in a few weeks. But I might not take them because I can't deal with stomach pains and migraines everyday until it kicks in lol.

20. last i read weed was not reccomended for anxiety