"Just Tax the Heck Out of People"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stoned budda, Aug 23, 2008.

1. not sure, but if $4mil on a book is an excess profit, then Mr. Obama owes us some cash.

2. You mean someone bought that peice of crap?

3. Budda I think what it comes down to is this: some people believe that those who have great fortune financially should be made to share some of their wealth for the better of their country (ideally taxes are used in this way), while others believe that the government should not have the right to make this redistribution happen. I fall in the former category and you seem to fall in the latter.

4. Yes that's about right. Not everyone who has money is "fortunate", some like myself worked their asses of to obtain wealth, it was not given. I donate more than my share to various charities, but that's my business and not the governments to tell me how i should "distribute" "my" money!

5. You mean like whats happening right now?

6. please, share, how much work has paris hilton and the likes of her done to earn their empires? taxing the rich more than the poor? of course i'm serious. they can afford taxes.

7. #47 nfs924, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
    You are generalizing all rich people to Paris Hilton? Wow....

It shouldn't matter if someone can afford the taxes. They were successful in their life, why should they be punished for it? As much as you're going to disagree with it, Paris Hilton is very successful.

8. it's an example, not a generalization. and is it really being punished? and who's to say that someone who has more money and can afford taxes is more successful than someone who breaks their back every day to feed their family? is it really right to say "that person earns way more, they should get taxed less than that guy, all he does is minimum wage bullshit. fuck his family."

i'm not saying that someone who goes out and gets an education shouldn't earn more money...that's usually the driving force that gets people an education. but i think it's wrong to say that they deserve to be taxed less simply because they earn more money. salary isn't really a good determination of how hard someone works.

and paris hilton has been successful because she's an heir. she'd probably be a carhop at sonic otherwise.

9. Rich people don't deserve to be taxed higher or lower than anyone else. An argument to the contrary is essentially saying that people with more money deserve to lose a bigger portion of it; by that logic, people should skulk around rich areas of town and mug, simply because the rich will feel the loss of any money they have on them less than a poor person would.

I'm not crazy about the idea of higher taxes, but not only has the current administration lowered taxes, it's also vastly increased spending. Whether the beneficiaries of that spending, like the military, ought to have the extra money or not, that money has to come from somewhere. US deficits are higher now than ever, and the dollar was sliding even before the housing market issues blew up. Republican ads are big on emphasizing the "tax and spend" policies of Democrats, but the apparent Republican policy of "spend and spend" isn't a good one either.

10. #50 nfs924, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
    Forcing someone to give away their hard earned money certainly is punishment, especially when their money is being used to help fund social programs. You are punishing them for making "more" money than the average person. Why should that person be held responsible for someone's inability to live on their own without support? Why should they be FORCED to give that money away? Besides the fact, just because someone makes a large amount of money doesn't mean they have a lot of income they can just "throw" around. Someone who may be deemed "rich" by our society's standards still has many expenses. For example, someone who starts their own business has many expenses (rent, paying their employees, the already high taxes, etc...). That's not even taking into account if they have kids who need to be put through school. Just because they are making "a lot" of money doesn't mean it isn't being spent.

Also, it doesn't really matter that Paris Hilton is only wealthy because of her family. Shes successful in the end.

11. If you say obama doesnt have the slightest understanding of America's economic principles, calling his ideas "communist", I say You dont have the slightest understanding of communism. people are free to do as they please and earn what they can. because they were provided with proper business tools such as state maintained infrastructure and security, they, in turn, are expected to pay the state for doing its part in allowing them good business. If you dont want to get taxed, dont earn money. Communism is nothing like the freedom to earn money.

12. nationwide healthcare would be punishment? better educational institutions would be punishment? those aren't things that would support people who can't provide for themselves, they just help out everyone.

and, yes, you probably would have a hard time paying for everything when you have so much useless shit as most extremely wealthy people have.

and i don't mean tax the rich so much they're "burdened." i think it's more than reasonable to say that the percentage that a "rich" person is taxed should be more than the percentage that a lower class person is taxed.

if you have two bmw's you probably don't need too many tax cuts...if you're hoping the next check will feed your family, you probably need some tax cuts.

13. Yes, that's all he wants. :rolleyes: Well if those aren't blatant fear tactics... actually, Obama will have to work with Congress, and so will McCain. Obama's more primed to do that, and if the Congress agrees, then his agenda will be put in place. He will not do it alone. Look at the Republicans at the convention talk about "Country First" but then scorn the Democrats. Divisive rhetoric and blame and fear tactics will not win over the new Congress. We can all sit back, take our hats off, and agree that there will be a Democratic majority (without Lieberman) in both Houses this November. Otherwise, eat your hat.

lol It's not "just because somebody has worked hard (whatever that shit means) in life and set goals for themselves were gonna tax them". That's ridiculous. You want revenues for public services, which benefit us all. You are not separate from greater society for making a large amount of money... in fact you are intrinsically tied to it through the "dollar" system and you are more responsible because you have greater influence. Let us not be too selfish here, even in principle.