Just switched to bloom, worried about yield

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Timmah!, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Veg these for two months, then had to flip cause I want to harvest on time with my outdoor crop. I'm worried the 5g smart pots stunted growth, as they're so stumpy. Think I'll still get a decent yield? Running a 600 and a 300 w led setup

IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5243.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Yield is a byproduct of the choices you made THIS TIME. You are not done. Just getting started. You see what works and what needs a tweak for next time. There is no One Ring to Rule Them All! many ways to do this but you find what works in your situation.
    First you have some. Then extra. Then shortages are something you recall.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I think you will be fine. I wouldn't transplant them now if your in 12/12. I'd tie them down, if you're not already. They look pretty big right now. Their going to fill that tent right up.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The smart pot didn't stunt growth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. was they from clone or seed?

two month is the norm from clones,do they have 9 leafs on the top i always wait till then .also stretch depends on strain i would take a couple of clones and veg them while flowering these .

6. I was thinking the 5g size, not because they are smart pots. Just seems now like I could have used the 10g

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm going to trellice net them down tonight, and build a more solid scrog for next time with pvc piping. Should I put the net down low enough to bend them over, or just let it grow up through?

8. #8 killset, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Smart pots main purpose along side supplying oxygen to the root zone is to air prune roots as they reach the sides preventing circuling. Therefore preventing root binding. Trust me bro I've grown way bigger plants in 5 gallon smarties. Your pots did not stunt growth. It could just be a short strain or a short pheno type of a strain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you. Experienced growers opinions are what I'm after. Would a 10g be overkill though do you think?

10. For that size plant if you are growing with bottled nutrients then yes it's overkill. By the looks of your tent you couldn't handle to much larger of a plant. I believe in the bigger roots, bigger fruits theory but you have to have the space to benifit. By the time those plants finish out your tent is going to be plenty full.

If you're growing with something like organic no-tills then a 10 gallon would be beneficial for the soils environment but I'm assuming that's not your goal at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Like Killset said, its not the smart pot. Probably the genetics. IMHO, I wouldn't net them. I would thin them out and let them do their thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. maybe some super cropping to level out the canopy a bit though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 killset, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Ya bro. All a trellis net is, is a support net. They don't work well as a scrog. I scrog. Its too late to scrog your plants properly to maximise space. Your plants look very nice and should be able to support their own weight. If they can't you can always add 1 later and work on strengthening stems next grow. I doubt you run into that issue though.

I wouldn't thin them out at this point as previously mentioned but thats just a difference in grower. Some do, some don't and some wait.... Looking pretty damn good man.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks, your wisdom is appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  15. Im a big fan on LST and i also don't like to trim anything unless i absolutely have to. But everyone has their own way that works for them. Keep up the good work man and keep us posted on your progress! Im interested in what your yield is going to be too!

• Like Like x 1
  16. How would I begin to LST these beauties? Just start tying individual branches down? I thought LST was something I missed the boat on, should have done in early veg. You would do it now?

17. Bought some trelice net. Pulled them down a bit, going to try some LST. Trying to upload pics IMG_5248.JPG IMG_5249.JPG IMG_5247.JPG

18. When i LST i loosely tie around the stem (so it has room to grow) and bend it as far down as i can and tie it to the pot. Ill keep doing this until i spread the branches out so that more light can penetrate better. I like to spread the branches out and keep them as low as i can so it doesn't grow to tall and run out of room.I try to keep the canopy as equal as i can for each plant but it all comes down to personal preference really. Id just start experimenting seeing what works best for you.

I kept tying them down and moving the branches around for most of the flowering. Im still new to this too but it worked out good for me. Don't go to over board with it though. id get them to where you want them height wise (they will still stretch so it will never be perfect) and then just do minor adjustments as you see fit. I probably stopped halfway through flower doing LST, at least after the stretch any ways.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I've read a lot about stressing them too much in flower to LST, heard it herm's them. I'm just tying down a little, like you said. More to spread the canopy than actually stress then. Thanks for the answer , wish me luck