Just started going to the gym

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by HoneyDutch09, Nov 25, 2012.

1. I'm about 5'11", 145lbs with not much definition. I have some lower body strength from cycling, but my overall physique is not pleasant (mainly skinny with a little chub around the waist). My goal is to reach 160 lbs and build a nice physique. Ugh, I can't believe I let myself go. I'm not a fatty, but I feel and eat like one. Anyway, heres my workout schedule:

Day 1: Arms, chest, abs (multiple exercises involving dumbells and bench.
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Shoulders, back, abs (Rows, inverted rows, dumbell exercises)
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Legs, butt, abs (squats, lunges, calf raises, leg press)
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

This is the best schedule for me because i work a lot and go to school four days a week. I just wrapped up my first week and I am still sore. I like to spend a hour or so cycling a couple times per week too. I use Muscletech protein w/ milk twice a day and take a good multivitamin twice a day as well. I'm not picky about my diet, but I mainly eat lean, minimally processed foods like fish, fruits, veggies, chicken, yogurt, and rice. I've been eating a lot more lately, pushing over 2,000 calories a day.

Hows this look to you guys? With abs, I mainly do leg-ups (or whatever) and incline situps with a weight on my stomach.

2. #2 Storm Crow, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    I would add Omega 3 to the vitamin! It gets your body making working CB receptors. Healthy CB receptors are necessary for your body to work right, and to get you high! :smoking: Activating a working CB1 receptor in your brain is the ONLY way you get high!

Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutritionally Deficient Diet
    (news – 2012)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutrionally Deficient Diet - Philadelphia medical marijuana | Examiner.com

[FONT=&quot]O-6 vs. O-3 ratio[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Omega-6+to+Omega-3+Ratio+-+Discover+the+Shocking+Reality+That+Ruins...-a01073970178[/FONT]

Good Oils and Fatty Substances Good Oil Information

Hemp & GLA: Good Fat Burns Bad Fat (article - undated)
    Hemp & GLA: Good Fat Burns Bad Fat | Manitoba Harvest - Hemp Foods and Oils

Omega 3 is also good for your heart! :love: In several medical studies, they found that men get the best results using the fish or krill oil type of omega 3. Omega 3 also helps lower your cholesterol levels! :yay:

Switch to vaporizing if you are serious about this! The health of your heart and lungs is the essential foundation that all else is built upon! :hello:

Clogging your lungs with smoke particles and adding a burden of carbon monoxide in your blood (which blocks your blood's ability to carry oxygen), will not help your progress!

Granny :wave:

3. Looks like a pretty good set up. You've got the diet part down, got the supps down, got the workout split down, now it's just up to you to put in the work! One thing I would maybe switch is instead of doing "arms" on your day 1, maybe split arms up. If you want you could do a split that is essentially a pull/push/leg 3 day split. First day can be pull or push. Say you go with push for day 1. This is any pushing muscle, so your chest, your shoulders, your triceps. Then day 3 go with pull, which is back, biceps, traps (some people throw these in shoulders, really depends on you). Last day would be legs forearms abs. This saves your arms so you can do all those compound exercises to your maximum ability. If you do biceps and triceps day 1, and they are wiped out still on day 3, it's gunna make your shoulder and back workout weaker than it could be, and pretty painful with the sore muscles you already have trying to continue to work. Abs, you can throw in on all 3, but it really isn't necessary. 6 pack abs are obtained 95% in the kitchen. If your core is too tired, it'll again make it more difficult to do lifts like squats, deadlifts, even seated presses and bench presses. Dedicate one day to go hard on abs and tire them out, same with forearms (shoot for these to be towards the end of your week so they don't hinder your other lifts). Maybe on one of your off days throw some cycling and some abs in together. After all this you'll be jacked in no time, man!

4. lol you have to eat a lot more than 2000 calories to bulk up to a still very skinny 160. I would be eating 3500 calories a day (at least) in your position.

5. [quote name='"PrinceOfTheCity"']lol you have to eat a lot more than 2000 calories to bulk up to a still very skinny 160. I would be eating 3500 calories a day (at least) in your position.[/quote]

I know, I know....but for me, just eating 2,000 calories in a day is a challenge. I'm getting accustomed to normal eating habits lol

6. Stay consistent. Drink lots of whole milk for easy calories. You aren't going to get anywhere with 2000 calories. Eat big, lift big.

[​IMG]

7. it's really all about what you eat. eat a lot of protein. if youre 150 lbs, have over 150 g of protein in a day. i know its hard but thats how you get faster results

if you really wanna pump it up be a little more consistent with working out, maybe not entirely as hard, but more consistently and take only one rest day. just make sure you arent doing the same shit two days in a row

drink a lot of water too

and carbs are very good if youre feelin low on energy and need to kick it up a knotch, dont forget about em!

8. if you are just starting out go with compound exercises.

Deadlifts and Squats is really all you need.

Also eat heavy to lift heavy.