Just Say No To Top Soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WhyAskWhy101, Jul 15, 2010.

1. I have seen alot of new growers telling other new growers that they should use top soil. This is very bad info! Top soil is not made for potted plants or even outdoor plants. Top soil is just that... soil that goes on TOP of your good potting soil or gardening soil. You should NOT plant your plants in top soil. Its made to go around bushes and trees to make them look pretty. Its not for growing.

Im hoping this will help stop the spread of the top soil epidimic. Its not filtered out and most brands are not even sterile and it is of a lot lower quality then any other soil. Its about the same quality as mulch and serves the same purpose.

Remember kids, just say no to top soil... and keep smoking. :p

2. I used scotts top soil with peat moss included and its going well here
    by the way its very hard to find a plain nute free good soil, everything in home depot or lowes had miracle grow this and that , and saw scotts top soil with canadian spaghnum peat moss and is nute free.

not everone has a large selection to choose from
    :hippie:

3. #3 Freakbro1, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010

The only part of this that makes any sense is "and keep smoking".

Dude, Id really like to know where u got this bogus info from...

Top soil is the uppermost layer of soil (top 8 inches). It is therefore very high in organic matter and beneficial microbes, which is what we are all after.

It is fantastic as a dressing for outdoor grows.

As long as u are able to get your hands on clean, pest-free topsoil, your plants will love u for it. Dress the top 2 inches. Indoors or outdoors.

Remember kids...dont believe everything ya read !!!

For your info: Top soil IS a higher grade than potting soil. Why do u think we have to add nutes to potting soils ???
    Freak
    :smoke:

4. If you want a good soil that has no chemicals in it, try EarthGro at Home Depot. This is made by the same company as MiracleGro, and is very cheap. I picked up a 2cf bag for under $5.

As for top soil, landscapers will tell you that it should only be used for leveling and filling low spots. It can be used in planting (EarthGro topsoil is $1.50 per cf) but is limited in organic material for long term sustinance.

5. Wow...

U guyz really need to do some research on soils.

Freak
    :smoking:

6. Freakbro .. I think you are missing the point here..
    Top Soil is GREAT for Top Soil and sucks as a potting soil.
    As a potting soil it holds way too much water and compacts making root growth a pain.

If you _really_ want to understand "soil"
    The Soil Triangle

7. Well, I shoot from the hip and I calls em as I sees em...

Maybe the "wording" is not specific enough.

And for someone who really understands soil, such as myself and others - its wrong.

Freak
    :smoking: its all good

8. ummm - "top soil" is 100% organic matter with no sand, clay or slit.
    So how can it be a good soil?

Yet another reason to go Hydroponic :)

9. you all need to understand that potting soil is top soil with a little perlite and compost added.

so say if I go outside .. dig a hole add some perlite to the dirt I dug up. am I not using top soil? should I not get buds from it ?

see pic.

this plant is using local TOP SOIL, PERLITE, AND some potting soil ( manly to keep water retention level )

I know MANY growers who use nothing but top soil,with composted grass clipping and cow manure..

I use Whitney Farms soils.. ( they are a Scott's product ..you know those MG guys.. :rolleyes:) and the only difference between the Whitney farms top soil , and the Whitney farms potting soil is one has Pumice added to it ...

Wharf

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanx for coverin my "6" Wharf...

Maybe these dudes will understand you !!!

Good luck

Freak
    :smoking: ya, duck and run...;)

11. Too many blades get hung up on good marketing .. wish I had a dollar for everyone who thinks Big Mike and his AN Line is the shit, cause he is a good at marketing ..same with Arjan at G.H.S....bunk crap , but good marketing.

NOW do not get me wrong ..I lobe my Fox Farms soils ..but considering I can get Whitney Farms at 5 dollar Per 2 SqFt.. guano and castings are cheap. so I save 7-10 bucks per bag ( not to mention FF bags are 1.5 SqFt)

next year.. top soil, and manure ( horse and lama) from the stables next door .. hope I don't wish I had stuck with FFOF :rolleyes: LMAO.... ahh to be in my teens and know everything again..

Wharf

12. #12 WhyAskWhy101, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
    Wow just wow.

You guys do know that top soil is the shit thats like 50% wood chips, rocks, sticks and other shit right?

I really dont think any of you know what top soil actually is...

Why do you think is so cheap compared to quality soils? Its mostly "fillers"!

Also im not talking about dirt you dig up in your yard or the "earths" top soil. Im talking about store bought top soil, they add alot of shit to it like sticks, pebbles and wood chips.

Just amazed that so many ppl dont know what good soil is. Potting soil is for potted plants and gardening soil is for plants in the ground, then you put a layer of "top soil" over that. You do not plant in all top soil!!!

THE ONLY REASON TOP SOIL IS SOLD IS TO PUT IT AROUND FLOWER GARDENS OR BUSHES TO MAKE IT LOOK PRETTY. ITS NOT MADE TO ACTUALLY PLANT IN. IT MAKES FOR SHITTY POTTING SOIL.

13. For somone that says you know soils, you actually said that top soil is of a higher grade then potting soil??? I think that proves just how much about soil you know.

14. Ya know, I dont care if I get an infraction or not...

U are an ignorant little #^#^$%&?!! and everytime I see a post by u at GC, youre spredin shit info to growers, many of them newbs. I dont know what planet u come from dude, but ya gotta stop it. Ive told u nicely before, but u keep it up.

U either need some educatin or a spankin like the little kid u r.

Cuz Im basically a nice guy, I will furnish u with some education...

TOP SOIL

TS is the uppermost crust of the Earths crust and usually is no deeper than 8 inches (20cm). The earths TS mixes rich humus with minerals and composted material, resulting in a nutritious medium for plants and trees. It IS one of Earths most vital resources, cuz it represents a delicate nutritional balance that provides food for many of the animals on earth, either directly in the form of plant material or indirectly in the form of products from animals that eat plants. One teaspoon of TS contains over 600 million beneficial microorganizmz.

No one said to do a whole grow in TS alone.

Consider yourself spanked, also.

LOL.

Freak

15. topsoil IS the shit that is wood chips, leaves and other organic composting materials. it is where most plants get their nutrients from actually.

So I take a bag of Topsoil, I add some coco peat, a touch of earth worm castings ( topsoil that has been eaten by worms), and a couple handfuls of perlite..and I have potting soil..

NOW maybe "just say no to topsoil (if you do not feel like doing any amending on your own)" would be a better title.

and for sure WhyAskWhy, topsoil may not be the best choice for a beginner...

Wharf

16. I got to agree.

GC is full of BS sometimes, and unfortunately it is often found in this section, which is supposed to make life as easy as possible for the newest members of the growing community.

I think generally it is very important to listen to peeps that know what they are talking about, the number of successful grows etc being an important factor in this.

Topsoil mixed with perlite etc will be the ABSOLUTE BEST that some people are able to get. If I didnt have a hydro shop with BIOBIZZ soil that is exactly what I would use.

Fat E:D

17. Cooler heads prevail...:eek:

Freak

18. Im growing in nute free Scotts top soil with peat moss, and its going great! besides you only would need to use top soil for 3 weeks anyway, so it wont be used for long sustinace as you stated!
    ;)

19. #19 cmckean1, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
    I use top soil in starter pots for sprouting seed. I mix it up with the expensive Organic soil after that.

Attached Files:

20. Freak is absolutly correct about topsoil ....and I'm sick of tards giving bad advice to new growers...it makes grasscity and everyone who genuinely wants to help look bad.

• Like Like x 1