Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just Hear Me Out

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Nebotec, Nov 22, 2011.

1. #1 Nebotec, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    Last year, a friend of mine made me a piece in machine shop. It is a SOLID ALUMINUM bowl w/ a carb. Now, everyone will probably blow this thread up about ALUMINUM = ALZHEIMERS OR BAD STUFF, but hear me out. They say smoking out of aluminum FOIL is dangerous, TRUTH, but SOLID aluminum? solid aluminum doesn't MELT until something like 1200 degrees, so i think its safe to say that it won't give off vapors from just a lighter.

Ideas ?
    Advice ?
    feel free to give me your feedback! :hello:

2. It's still a disgusting metal piece.

3. A Bic Lighter can range from 1200-3500 degree's Fahrenheit, so have fun with that one.

4. #4 Nebotec, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    True that. It does leave a bit of an after taste. But this is just to see what people can come up with. :)

~edit~

yeah, i should have done a bit more research. atleast its cool to look at and will serve as a cool paper weight now :D

5. Considering no one has been smoking from Alum foil for long enough to conclude that it does actually cause Alzheimer's... Who cares?

I prefer glass, but the home mades are always nice

6. A bic lighter isn't going to melt solid aluminum. You have to hold it to foil for like a minute just to get it to melt that.

Op that piece sounds fine. But he woulda been better off buying some 5 dollar glass.

7. It won't melt solid aluminum. But OP states that solid aluminum won't melt until 1200 F. So thats going to atleast give off some vapor. I dont think its crucial that he doesn't use it. But theres definitely safer ways.

8. Bics

A Bic produces a "premixed laminar flame" (the flame's fuels mix with oxygen before burning and retain a relatively steady shape).

"Although a lighter or candle flame appears to be a solid mass of light, it's actually hollow - the luminous outer layer is typically less than 1 mm thick. The core of the flame consists of the fuel gas and air pushing steadily outwards in the "flame" shape until they reach the thin combustion zone. The hottest portion of the flame typically is in and immediately outside this zone, which is filled with the immediate products and partial-products of the chemical reaction known as combustion.

Which part of the combustion zone is the hottest? Peak temperatures are more uniform than you might expect along the length of the flame. Measurements of a 79 mm methane flame, a 107 mm methane flame, and an 88 mm ethylene flame (see Santoro below) all generally showed slightly higher temperatures (by 20-50 degrees K) near the base. Pitt's work cited below shows substantially the same thing and has some nice graphs of temperature versus height along the flame.

Not to be outdone by Pitt, I took Santoro's measurements of a symmetrical methane flame, which were available in a spreadsheet file on the National Institute of Standards and Technology website, and generated a graph showing the temperature versus the distance from the centerline of the flame. Several temperature curves are shown, measured at different heights above the flame's base. The magenta curve corresponds to a level near the base of the flame, and the light blue curve corresponds to a level near the tip. You can see from the graph that the peak temperatures at the top of the flame are slightly lower than those at the middle and base.

Temperature is only part of the equation, though. More relevant if you're trying to light a fire is the total heat available at different spots in the flame. That's a function of the volume of fuel and air and the temperature. In graphical terms, you're looking for the part of the flame with the most area under the curve. In a typical flame that's near the tip - look at the area under the curve of the 70 mm line compared to the other lines. Why is there more heat in the tip? Because the non-burning center of the lower part of the flame is relatively cool, whereas all of the tip is aflame and thus uniformly hot throughout.

Provided your backyard lighter flame is free of contaminants that might skew the color, a slightly lean violet-blue flame is the hottest. Blue-violet = high frequency = high energy = high temperature. A white flame has its visible radiation energy spread out more evenly across the spectrum and isn't peaking on the high-energy blue end. That indicates lower overall energy, and thus lower temperature, than a blue flame.

* Many thermodynamics and chemistry texts state that adiabatic flame temperature is highest when the flame is at perfect stoichiometry (exactly enough air to burn the fuel). Since mixing and other practical effects require extra air to ensure combustion, the hottest flames in practice tend to be slightly lean (slightly more oxygen than needed)."

References

The Straight Dope: What is the hottest part of a flame?

"The temperature of a Bic lighter flame is 1977C or 3590.6F. Wow, that is hot! Be careful and ChaCha again!"

References

What is the temperature on a flame of a bic disposable lighter? | ChaCha
    Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page to add to the conversation.

Read more: How hot does a bic lighter flame get

9. Although lighters can reach those temperatures, and don't quote me on this because I have no great background in science(s), but i think in the time it takes to take a hit, wouldn't be enough time to heat the piece up enough to give off vapors, but that is just my opinion.

~edit~
    I have other pieces, just wanted to see other opinions/facts on this one in particular.

10. No evidence what-so-ever that aluminum and alzheimers is connected:

Alzheimer's Association - Memory Loss Myths & Facts
    Alzheimer
    Alzheimer's Disease: Dispelling the Myths

11. No solid connection to Alzheimer's. Very good info, although it probably isn't the best to smoke out of still, It isn't my favorite piece anyway :rolleyes: .