Just had an interesting thought

Discussion in 'General' started by M369, Mar 22, 2009.

1. #1 M369, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
    When tobacco was 1st brought out commercially it was meant to relive stress and bla bla.
    Well now we know it kills us and is one of the most addictive substances on this planet. But somehow is still legal.
    Now what if the government's relised their mistake but knew it was too late to make it illegal so instead of making tobacco illegal they done it to marijuana fearing it will be the same.
    Which maybe is where all the bullshit started from. People trying to hide the fact tobacco is the real killer and making up all this shit about marijuana so to stop another epidemic of people being addicted to something. When in reality marijuana is completely different.

If this doesn't make sense its because it just jumped into my head a sec ago and i wanted to write it down.
    I will come back and edit it when I'm sober if it isn't understood.

2. Haha, I subscribed for when you edit it later so I can understand it better... :p

3. #3 M369, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
    OK so basically what i was trying to say is that when tobacco began to get popular say late 19Th century. People thought it was a cure for asthma and all this shit. Obviously it was making people worst but people continued to believe smoking will help them. Soon statistics went as high as 4out of 5 men smoked.

Now slightly after the tobacco hype a different drug called marijuana slowly began to become more popular.
    Now we had just began to discover that tobacco is in fact not good for our health and is causing all kinds of illness. And many people are going to be EXTREAMLY embarrassed for this.
    But people were so addicted they could not stop.

So people see this 'marijuana' which is smoked like tobacco to be just as dangerous.
    And so begin the rumours and bullshit.
    It was too late to eliminate tobacco use so instead they made marijuana illegal before giving it a chance.

Now the pharmaceutical industry were a big part of the rumours i believe. The first state law to make marijuana illegal was a 1913 California law that received little notice. It was promoted by the pharmaceutical industry that saw marijuana as a competitor.

So already that is proof that marijuana wasn't given a fair shot to begin with.

Harry Anslinger, who actively promoted Reefer Madness because he knew the marijuana laws were unenforceable. Therefore, he reasoned that the only possible method was to scare people so bad that they would never touch it. His plan worked for a while.

A man called Dr. James C. Munch of Temple University said that there was no evidence that marijuana was a dangerous drug. The committee basically told him to shut up and leave.

A lying prick called Dr. James C. Munch.(i think i got the name wrong here) Had a claim to fame saying that he had injected some extract of cannabis directly into the brains of 300 dogs, and two of them had died. When they asked him what he concluded from that, he said he didn't know. However, he was the only doctor in the US who agreed that marijuana should be illegal, so his testimony was accepted, and he later became the US Official Expert on Marijuana. While serving in that capacity, he also testified in court, under oath, that marijuana would make your fangs grow six inches long and drip with blood and, when he tried it, it turned him into a bat.

Now if that isn't the most ridiculous thing ever said i don't know what is. But thats my point about the lies.

All of this is bullshit and i think was brought to life to scare the shit out of people and try to get the smoking fad to burn out(pun intended)

I just wonder..If marijuana was popular before the tobacco hype would things be the other way round today?
    Instead of tobacco being legal and marijuana being illegal the tables would turn.

Does thats make anymore since?
    I know i rambled alot and went off topic but i been thinking alot lately.
    Let me know if it makes sense.

4. Come on GC these thought's can't go to waste.:(

5. Wow, that's actually really interesting. I see what you mean.

6. :hello:Finaly someone took the time to read it. Thankyou.
    Maybe the title is a little undescriptive.(is that a word?)

7. people are just ignorant about the facts and think its gonna become like cigs ?

8. Haha, no problem, man. Yeah, you might want to make it more specific. I don't think undescriptive is a word... You could say it's not self-explanatory?

9. There is too much corruption when prohibition is enacted. The government isnt in fear for your health, Pharmaceutical companies make too many dangerous and addictive drugs as do the cig companies for this to be true. Also it is never to late, because the future is never ending how would something not have time?
    Marjuana has been used since 4000BCE as the first paper, textile, food, medicine and a lot more. and for why it is illegal today;

Competition.

10. The government is just to ignorant to legalize marijuana because they think it is 100000000 times worse then alcohol and cigs. I bet if the president and house members acctually tried it, they'd know what its like.

11. Also, it's so controversial, that even if some of these people aren't against it, no one wants to be the person to come out and say it... It's too touchy of a subject right now, and some politicians fear it'd ruin their reputation. :( Who cares if other people would look at you differently, you know? That's their problem...

12. I know how long it's been used for. I'm talking about when it became popular. As in commercial.

13. It's hard to say for sure. I mean hemp was extremely popular way before the late 19th century for the same reasons that pharmaceutical company (and other companies) wanted it illegal.

14. Honestly i dont think before our time it was ever thought to become something "popular", but it was needed for way of life. It is said that there were laws inacted at Jamestown which encouraged coloniest to grow hemp. Today, it is only commercial to drug cartels which are ruthless criminals and i dont believe that such a peaceful plant should be commercialized only buy killers.

15. Not to sound greedy, but if marijuana were legal and tobacco was outlawed, that would alter the course of history, hence I would not be born.

I'm thankful for the worlds past, because that is what allowed my past, allows my present, and will allow my fure.

16. Well thats certainly a different way of looking at it.