Just Got My System, But I Have A Problem...

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by CmMx112, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Well guys, I just got my system hooked up in my truck. Ive got a 12 inch JL sub, with a rockford amp thats rated at 372 watts. Well during the instilation process my friend, who works at audioronics, accidently dropped a flashlight on the sub, slightly cracking the center of it.

Now, he is taking it back and getting a new one free of charge. But we wanted to hook it up to make sure everything else worked properly. My question is, with the crack, would it effect the decibals it would push? We hooked it up and it still sounded great, but it didnt hurt my ears like I expected it to. The friend I was talking about had one 10 inch sub with a shittyer amp and it hurt my ears more. I will have the new sub tomorrow, I was just wondering if it would make a difference without the crack in it.

And its sitting in a single cab S10, just like his 10 inch sub did. So I know it isnt the truck size....

2. It will obviously put out less, because the crack wouldn't be able to contain the sound in the box.

As far as sound goes, it depends on many factors.

How many ohms is the sub rated to? and at what RMS?

I.E. 300W RMS @ 2 ohms

How about the amp? RMS and ohms? there could be more than 1 value for this.

Then depending on how he wired it, it would be based on that.

If the amp is rated 400W RMS @ 2 ohms, and 200W RMS @ 4 ohms, then obviously it the amp is up to par.

This is very generic/basic. I would get the specs on both products and go from there.

From my experience, its better to have a stronger amp and use it at a slightly lower volume, then a weaker amp at a higher volume.

3. You serious? Do you want it to hurt?

4. this.

it should be loud, but not painful... this is coming from a volume/bass FIEND.

post a video of your system!

5. To be honest, Im not too tech savvy when it comes to speakers and whatnot. Thats why I got my buddy, who installs them for a living, put it in. I really wish I had the true specs for it, but I dont :( And when I mentioned it "hurting", well I meerly meant the rattleing vibration goes on in your ears. And it was a definate professional wire job. Everything was sauterned on, and properly done. Ill post a picture of everything here in a few minutes.

6. Heres some pictures...

Heres the crack I was talking about...
    [​IMG]

heres the wires...
    [​IMG]

And heres the setup...
    [​IMG]

7. a crack might give you some rattle. Just out of curiosity how much did your system cost cuz I am bout to buy a new system for my newest car.

8. Well, I went to audiotronics, and my buddy is a manager at the store, I got a 10% discount on everything, but with the discount my final buy sheet went as so...

JL Audio 12" WO SVC 4OHMs(the sub)=107.00
    12" Sub Box=35.00
    Rockford 16' RCA Cable=13.00 (wires)
    Rockford 8AWG Power Kit=35.00 (wires)

Im not too sure how much the AMP was, I cant find the recipt on it because I bought it seperate. But I think It was 172 dollars, and it was a 300 watt rockford AMP, but the thing was rated at 372 watts, so it definatly does the job, and some. Only thing I regret is not making my own box, because they didnt carry truck boxes that were ported. Which definatly helps when it comes to sound and bass. What kind of vehicle are you putting your system in? And what kind, and how many subs/amps are you putting in?

9. Eww w0

My buddy is coming over soon with 2 W3's, ima get a video for y'all lol.

10. Hells yeaa!

11. If you wan't it to hurt your ears, at least drop that sub in a ported box if you have the space. Ported boxes put out alot more sound. Ported is the way to go if you want a loud system IMO'

12. Thats what I said earlier in this thread..... But its hard to find a ported box that will fit in my single cab truck... I wish it was an extended cab, wouldnt be a problem then...

13. Ya bro I read that immediately after I posted lol. Honestly the only things you can do for more output are....more cone area (more subs), more power (bigger amp) or a ported/bandpass box. So really, if you can't fit a ported box, your only option without buying a new sub is a bigger amp. If your sub can handle it of course. You shoulda just built your own box to begin with. Or had someone built it for you, there are alot of custom box builders on ebay that have good products. I bought a custom ported box for my 2 alpine type r 12's and let me tell you, the difference in sealed and ported with those subs is amazing. COMPLETELY different sound, MUCH louder.

14. Really? I might have to check out ebay then. A friend of mine works at audiotronics, I could definatly get him to do it.... Do you know if you can port a bot thats already put together with the subs hooked up? If so Ill just take out my sub and cut a slot in the box and seal everything up

15. Ya theirs lots of builders on ebay and I can personally recommend one builder to you if you'd like. And to answer your question, in short, yes you could port a sealed box. BUT ported boxes tend to be much larger than sealed boxes, so your little sealed box probably wouldn't be the best box to port. AND its not as simple as just cutting a slit in a box, thats a box with a hole in it, not a ported box. Basically a ported box is tuned to a certain frequency, usually around 30-35 hertz. You obtain this tuning by giving the port some length to it. A circular port could be (just throwing out some numbers, these are NOT actual port numbers.) 4 inches in diameter and 6 inches long and that would give you a tuned frequency of ___ hertz. If your going ported though I would have to recommend that you start with a new box all together. If you talk to a builder though I'm sure you guys could figure out how to build a ported box that would fit in your truck.

16. Ohh, I get what your saying. Im pretty low on funds at the moment, but Ill definatly hit up ebay when I get a little extra cash saved up. Thanks for the info man.

17. Yeah no prob bro:D