Just got my Motorcycle License, Looking for a Bike

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Romain, Sep 3, 2010.

1. So I just passed my MSF Rider Course and made my way to the DMV earlier today to file for my motorcycle license.
    I've got most of my gear already. I picked up a ICON Solid White Helmet, some nice gloves, and I'm still shopping around for a jacket and of course, bike.
    So currently I'm not so heavy on cash. I just bought a new TV (42" Samsung Plasma for $435) and a bunch of other things so I'm looking for a bike that doesn't break the bank.
    I took the class and test on a 250 Suzuki. When I was done with the class, I knew a 250 was waay too small a bike for me.
    I'm going to skip a 500 and go straight to a 600. Like I said, I'm looking for a performance bike that doesn't break the bank.
    I've been looking at a 02' Honda CBR 600 F4i on eBay for a little under $3K with 11K miles.
    [​IMG]
    I need something under $3500 and not too sure how to judge miles to bike year like with cars.
    I'm asking the RB for some tips. It's most likely going to be a Sportbike, it just has to be in the right price range.
    I'm also wondering what some riders here feel about Body Armor for Riding. Everyone tells me it's better than nothing but was curious about price to value for them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I've come across a few other bikes.

07' Kawa ZZR600 w/ 1,031K Owned by a Female Rider. Minor scratches. $3,059 + $450 for Shipping but could get it cheaper
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1495wt_1165

03' CBR 600RR w/ 8,900K. Dropped on it's side during moving in a Uhaul truck the owner says. Fairings are scratched in a few places. No mechanical damage. $3,000 + $450 for Shipping but could get it cheaper
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_865wt_1165

2003 Yamaha R6 w/ 15,800 miles.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

Another CBR 600 F4i
    http://www.approvalpowersports.com/n...27&pov=1359824

One more CBR 600RR
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

2. I would look into a CBR 600 f4i, i have only heard good things about this bike for beginners. My first ride after i got my permit was on a gixxer 750 and i knew it was way too powerful for someone like me and i was raised on dirtbikes so i'm not knew to motorcycles. The f4i has a lower center of gravity so it's easier to maneuver, but i think it's also heavier than the other cbr's. As for the body armor, a lot of guys are starting to wear that stuff on the streets and for good reason, it's light but protective and doesn't restrict movement, so i would look into that as well. Make sure when buying a bike to find out if it has been dropped or if it has new plastics, which usually means it had some damage at one point and could also resulted in structural damage, so get it inspected before riding.

3. Link me to that armor please, I would like to buy it!

I rode on a 250 for a motorcycle course and went straight to a 1000.. I want more power!

4. Well I can't get ahold of the person who was selling that CBR in the first picture. I'll keep trying but won't hold my breath.

I'm really interested in this 07 Kawa ZZR600
    Kawasaki : ZZR600: eBay Motors (item 180556272401 end time Sep-05-10 18:36:10 PDT)

It's only got a little over 1K miles and just minor exterior crashes. Riden by a women and for only $3K I think it's a steal. I'm going to bid and try and get it for a little cheaper to offset the cost of shipping.

5. The first bike in the thread looks ridiculous. And that body armor is such that I've never seen. I've been wondering for a while how difficult it will be to get a license out here in AZ, how much it will cost when all is said and done. How expensive was it for you?

6. MSF Beginner course was $270. Permit was I think like around $20. License was $12.50.

What it comes down to is either a 07' Kawa ZZR600 with 1K Miles driven by an old lady who dropped it once in her driveway or a 02' CBR600 F4i with 11K Miles that fell over once but not while being driven. Both around the same price.

7. Agree with poster above me. Get the 07. Any bike you get you will totally fall in love with it.
    And how do I make 35$ FAST:rolleyes:

8. #9 billetproof97, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
    I took the MSF course for HD, and we road the buell blast 500CC bike. it was fun. anywho i got a 96 cbr 600. fun little 2nd bike. the F4i is a great starter bike. kawi's are nice too. good luck :hello: hope you wear all your gear, ive got a nice icon mesh jacket, its got good protection. if you want a nice helmet. id choose a SHOEI or Arai

9. I have that first pictured field vest armor. Its pretty uncomfortable after a while (30+min) especially walking around. The second pictured one looks alright

EDIT: As a cbr owner, HONDA FTW :)

10. Who makes the second armor?

11. alpinestar

12. That's actually a EVS G5 Ballistics Jersey. There for motocross but I'm still thinking about getting one for the street

13. Not sure if you can get it in the sates, but here in Aus theres a company called Dragonjeans; they make jeans/cargo pants/sweatshirts/jackets with kevlar (and room for inserts)
    I'd deffiently recommend a pair of thier pants.

I noticed you included a dropped bike in your list of options. Don't even consider it, fuck knows how hard it was actually dropped, or if theres stress fractures in components or the frame.

A VFR400 is a great CHEAP bike if you want "performance" bike, and there's alot of aftermarket kits for them.

14. Kawa CBR and an R6...

Get the R6.
    Only downfall is high mileage on it, so if that throws you off of the R6, get a honda bike.

15. The Kawa sale fell through. Plus I wasn't sold on its looks.

I've got a 07' R6 in mind, black, with 2K miles on it, but it was laid down at low speed. Few bruises on it but runs perfectly. They want $4200 for it but I can get the price down.

Really, really like the R6's. Looking at more of those and some GXER's.

16. GSXR

And Yamaha is top of the line performance. IMO.
    The look of the R6 and R1 are unbeatable. The sound they produce stock is amazing, and with an aftermarket exhaust they are TITS.