Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just got my Medi Card from Venice Beach, but there's a problem.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by burnt toast, Sep 14, 2009.

1. I disagree with just about everything you just said. I think tighter regulation would be a GREAT thing for the MMJ community. Less vague laws will mean less trouble for honest MMJ CO-OPs, patients, and the movement in general.

2. i live in Vista (southern cali) and all the Vista, San Marcos, Carlsbad and Oceanside dispensarys got raided because those cities had a ban on 215, so it was only a matter of time until they got raided.

but i think we should turn out focus off each other and a little more toward what can we do for the 215 movement because idk where im going to get my meds now. but on a side note, i believe recommendations should be refused if the patient looks like some kid that just wants to get high. there are a ton of those kids in my city and it pisses me off because they give the 215 movement a horrible name and attach a stigma to mmj. i dont ant some little punks looking to get some kicks, fucking a movement they dont even believe in and not giving a shit cause they can go back to their street dealer.

3. wow i dont think i've ever seen wildwill make a post were he wasnt complety trying to shit on someone. I've never been to a clinic that turned down my venice beach rec. If you want to make the trip to dana point go to safe harbor its 10% of for sd residents and they always have some ridiculously good stuff.

4. #44 WildWill, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
    So what you're saying is that you don't have a problem if that doctor won't back his recommendation up in court, and it shouldn't be a problem for the patient either? WHAT THE HELL? SO now you're saying as long as they are responsible they shouldn't care that their recommendation holds up in court - then what's the point of having it in the first place? (I don't mean to be so angry, but this statement is silly.)

Again, that's just silly. Collective owners talk to each other, they network, and have member associations like GLACA. If they find out that a doctor is issuing fraudulent recommendations, it is not only in their best interests not to serve his patients, but it is THE LAW. KNOWLINGLY dispensing meds to a non-patient or a patient with a fraudulent recommendation is just as illegal as a street dealer, and trust me, the clubs have more to lose than a dealer does.

He's only legal until the law catches up with him, and trust me they will. Then there's a ton of patients who have to see alternative doctors to get their recommendations validated. Not only that but it's a huge black eye on the community. THIS HAS HAPPENED ALREADY - as I said, look up Dr. Jimenez and see how far he's set back the movement. This isn't about one person, it's about a community, and rather than be selfish and say "I gots mine" think about the entire community for a change.

It should be easy for LEGITIMATE patients with legitimate qualifying conditions to get a recommendation, and guess what, it is pretty easy at this point. But these guys are doing a disservice to us all. It's truly sad that you don't see that.

You don't? Really? So you're so far deep in the movement that you don't hear anything? Because trust me, it's there. All it takes is one or two bad docs to put the entire movement to shame, and as previously stated, many collectives won't take recommendations from these shady docs. If you don't think that there are voices in the movement who are actively looking to tighten up the shady doctors and close down the illegal dispensaries, you aren't involved in the movement at all.

Open you eyes, open your mind, listen to what's being said.

5. #45 Bud4U, Sep 17, 2009
    i agree somewhat with your post. and i must say i was surprised at the ease with which i was able to obtain a rec. and others. i had known about MMJ, but never really considered it as a med until i lost some treatment options for what ails me. i looked into it and got my rec. glad i did

but so far as "dirty doctors," well...i'm just shocked this wasn't more thought out. i mean...it seems to me people in the MMJ movement want some sort of "self regulation" by telling patients to not go to unethical doctors, and some dispensaries rejecting recs from patients (not very compassionate). but that will never work. because the law seems to be saying they're ok

we see and hear about collectives being closed down. but do we hear about docs being busted? the actual people who w/o we could have NO MMJ, period? no, never. because the state trusts them. and as doctors so do we

at least thats how its supposed to go

we need penalties, we need jail time, we need law. and we need doctors who are willing to risk there ass writing recs because they might be prosecuted or fined if a "bad apple" slips though

its a tough situaltion...but if it gets too costly or too complicated....the state might just decide its not worth the effort. or the MMJ doctors themselves. who already seem to be somewhat marginalized in their profession
    yeah...well i just don't want tighter reg's to eventually mean "out of business"

the thing about Cali (and other places) is this was just supposed to be for cancer / aids / terminally ill patients. but we ALL have rights to treatment. so they included ANY ailment a doc feels MMJ could help. headache, dry skin, balding, emotional distress over those things. we gave the docs a wide road...and some are taking it. if we narrow that road....it might not be wide enough for many of us to travel down with MMJ

what if someone decides MMJ should not be used for psych disorders? then i'm out. and many others...

6. This sounds like the ongoing problems that pain management has, as a whole. Remember that 2004 DEA Publication?

Pill Stoppers: The DEA acknowledges yet denies the conflict between drug control and pain control - Reason Magazine

Model Guidelines for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain
    Federation of State Medical Boards: Model Guidelines for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain

7. Yes, as am I. Getting your recommendation for a valid qualifying condition and getting it from a reputable doctor is fantastic.

It WAS thought out - have you read the requirements for a recommending doctor? I linked to them earlier. The problem is that there are a good many doctors who will merely hand out recommendations like candy. We all know there are just as many doctors who hand out opiates the same way, it's not any different for MMJ. It's all about the all-mighty dollar.

REALLY? You haven't been reading about Jimenez? Have you tried doing a Google Search on "Medical Marijuana Doctor license revoked" because there are a TON of stories about various doctors that have already been disciplined or caught. In the early days of prop 215 the state actually tried to revoked licenses for ANY doctor recommending MMJ, but that got thrown out in court. They're still trying to shut down MMJ doctors, which is why doctors need to do everything above board, as do dispensaries.

What I want to see happen is these fly-by-night potdocs to get shut down, and same for the illegal clubs. Reputable doctors and reputable non-profit collectives should be celebrated and utilized over these shady folks.

Fortunately it's not up to the state, it's up to the PEOPLE, and I for one will never vote against MMJ.

Agreed.

Actually, that's untrue. The kind folks who wrote prop 215 were not just interested in the seriously ill, they were there representing all sorts of patients. Thankfully.

In other states it's not a qualifying condition. Food for thought.

8. WildWill i am posting to say i have read both your posts addressed to me and will respond, but have no time atm. just heading out. plus for some reason the power keeps going out where i am :/

just posting as a courtesy in case you're still around the forums....

bbl

9. Take your time. I want to say, in no way am I angry at you personally, I am very interested to read your response. I think we're close to being on the same page.

10. I am straight up angry now. My two regular spots have been shut down. Practically all the dispensaries in East SD are GONE. They are hitting PB/West SD even harder. I don't even feel like it's safe to go into a lot of these dispensaries now because they could be raided any day now and I don't want to be standing there when they start busting down doors.

Is it sad I feel it's safer to go to a street dealer than to a legitimate Co-Op to get my medication?

Fucking Bonnie Dumanis needs to be removed from her office.

11. As a med patient isn't it just as safe from a legal point of view to go to a dealer or a disp? I have been told that in Oregon at least I can buy from a dealer/undercover cop and if I get busted all there is to it is to show my card and then the cops verify it and let me go with no arrest record. Is that not the case?

12. #52 Bud4U, Sep 17, 2009
    well, i really can't argue or dispute any of your points. you have some good ones, and i am brand new to MMJ and to some extent MJ, period

its kind of personal to me and it makes me a little nervous. i think it is inappropriate and unethical for doctors to be promoting this like its some circus, out on Venice beach, "come one come all"

but on the other hand i feel like who am i or anyone else (including the state) to tell a licensed doctor how to treat their patients? does it shock me an educated person such as a doctor would take advantage of the system like this? yeah, it does. i've read that 95% of docs won't even go near MMJ recs. so who are these other 5% that will? are the worst of the worst mixed in there?

i read your facts about docs who have been fined and prosecuted for violations...yet EVERYONE knows about this dude on the boardwalk and he goes about his business as usual. something is wrong here...

...yet on the other hand i can't help but feel something is right. not being a pot smoker most of my life, i've never seen anything wrong with it. i don't drink or do drugs, and i consider alcohol much worse (health wise) then weed. my attitude has always been "legalize it." and it still is. and so although its kind of legal for me now, i strongly feel it should be for others, too. and as easy as possible. so if i hear of doctors sort of being loosey goosey about writing recs...a very large part of me sort of thinks "they have the right idea"

and although that attitude is probably misguided, i can't help but think it

they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." i would hate to think a bunch of doctors whom we trust are breaking this thing and law enforcement will come in and fix it. or perhaps worse yet....MMJ patients lose the support of the public

as said, you know more about this then i do. but any links or info you can give me which tells me more and helps me understand how all this works and how it will and will not keep working would be greatly appreciated

oh...and don't worry about being angry or me taking anything personally. i also couldn't careless about the neg rep. i have really thick internet skin :)

13. I agree completely about legalization however the "law and order" types out there are looking for every reason to keep cannabis illegal. So we should all follow all the laws applicable to mmj all the time and never try to go by the spirit of the law, just the letter. This will show them that we can be just as up tight and obnoxious as they are. And people trust others that they think are like themselves. So this will help to build trust and lead to looser restrictions and eventually legalization and hopefully one day removal of all government regulation. That my two cents on why dishonest docs are bad.

14. If you have your medical license (that you are paying for) why would you stoop low and pick up regs and mids from a street dealer and possibly get ripped off as well? makes no sense brother.

15. #55 tharedhead, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009

The poster is in Oregon. Oregon has no dispensaries. You can grow it yourself, get a grower or fall into the gray area of trying to find meds-somehow. I'm still not sure how the last bit works?:confused:
    Hopefully they pass the law to get dispensaries. That would make things a lot easier for everyone.

16. It all seems very "I've got mine, and you can't have any! If you try to get some and end up taking mine away, then you will pay!"

I don't have heathcare and haven't been to a doctor in ten years. And I'm not alone here. I don't have any conditions and am not trying to get a card, but there are a lot of people out there who need help, but don't have established histories.

So marginalize them further and let them risk the streets, right?

I see any attempt at legally getting marijuana into the hands of those who want it a step in the right direction.

17. We have the doctors and patients who exploited the system to blame, not the actual system itself.

18. I just renewed my card yesterday but I tired a new doctor I went to kush dr I got a 50 dollar renewal this guy is legit but he was sweating me a lil bit and there were people that didn't receive their certificate they were charging expensive but once I told them that price is a rip id rather just renew at my old doctor they gave me a special price

Other than. That kush dr is good and legit

19. I'd like to call your bullshit on this one buddy. I can let you know that at least ONE of the dr's offices will verify you for the police every time. Any rec from a legitimate Dr that is registered in the state of california is legal as long as you can be verified. Always check to see how long the office has been open before going to ANY MMJ Doctor's office. If they've been open well over a year and haven't constantly relocated then you are most likely good with their rec. The city would shut them down immediately if they were not handing out legal recommendations (and that's only if the feds don't do it first since it would be a felony on a federal level for any doctor to hand out bogus scripts or recs). If your recommendation is refused by a collective for LEGAL REASONS then go back to the doctor and get your money back. If they refuse make a scene at their front door and I bet you anything they'll refund your money to keep from losing more patients. And btw I for one will be voting NO on 19. Have you read the whole thing? It will allow each county and city to adjust their legalization rights as they please which means that a current medical card holder in an anti-MMJ area may have their rights yanked out from under them in certain areas of the state. 215 protects patients by setting the state law as a minimum and letting lower forms of local gov increase if they see fit. The state law protects people that truly need their MMJ from the federal government as well but only because they are abiding by local law. The moment you take away a patient's local legalization you take away their protection from the feds (which means that a terminally ill patient legally growing their own medical marijuana in a city/county that decides to ban marijuana completely again can have their property forfeited to the government because the guys with badges and NO MEDICAL TRAINING WHATSOEVER will have no guidelines to prevent them from full prosecution against the patient even though the state says they are legal). Just read it and think. If you spot a loophole that could fuck over legitimate patients I guarantee that the guys doing the fucking already know it's there and are waiting for 19 to pass so that they can do as they please once more. I'm going to continue voting no on similar bills until one is on the ballot that guarantees my total protection against any other agencies or departments that don't want to see marijuana legal.

20. Dude i was thinking of getting it there, but then i was up on Melrose near Hollywood and there is a legit doctors office. There is a big green cross on the front door on the corner of some intersection. I'm going to check it out in a couple weeks. Let me know if you do, too. :smoking: