Just got hassled by the sherriff

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by k_semler, Feb 28, 2010.

1. I was peaceably sitting across the street in a parking lot watching the moon with binoculars, and I got cold so I decided to walk back home, (I'm drunk), The About when I'm ready to cross the street, the fucking sheriff pulls up and asks me what the fuck I'm doing. I answer "Watching the moon", and point to it. One of the depuys told me to stand at the front of his vehicle and wait. Knowing what was coming, I did the "spread eagle", and just stood there. I got a terry frisk, (understandable), they found my knife, and asked me if I had any other weapons on me. I replied "no", (cause I didn't), then they gave me the pat down.

After I got patted down, I was asked again what I was doing, so I replied again, "watching the moon", and showed them that my binoculars weren't a weapon, and showed them what I was doing. (crouching and bracing my arms against my legs for stability). Then I got questioned for my address, and told them I lived right across the street, but then they wanted to know my address, so I gave it to them.

After that, They asked me if I had been drinking, and I didn't want to lie, so I said, "heavily, that's why I'm not driving anywhere", and informed them I don't have my ID on me. The sheriff then asked my my legal name, age, DOB, address, and if I had any outstanding warrants. After a background check, they told me to go home, and don't stand around in this parking lot with binoculars again. So then I asked if I could do it in my own parking lot, (pointed to my vehicle and showed them where I had my chair at where I started watching the moon from), and he said, "I don't give a shit, just don't do it here". Then the sheriff told me that my knife was on the sidewalk, and don't forget my binoculars on the hood of the vehicle. I grabbed my binoculars, walked to my knife, pocketed it, and went home.

Fucking sheriff, I wasn't bothering anybody. I was just trying to watch the moon. Dumbasses.

2. To be honest, police in general have to deal with so much bullshit on a daily basis that what they did was kind of fucked up but it was weird that you were chillin in a parking lot.. Write it off as a good time and definitely set up a deer stand in your front yard so you can watch the moon like a pro. (BTW, as and after I smoke tonight I'mma look at that moon too.)

3. 1. No yard. I live in an apt complex, and don't realy want to scale a biulding to get to the roof under the influence of alcohol, so that's out.

2. Use 20x binoculars, and you will blow your mind. :)

4. haha, i can just picture you stumbling around in a parking lot, wasted, with binoculars trying to watch the moon

5. negro please, you were suspicious as fuck.

6. How? The most that happened before the sheriff rolled up on my ass as I was leaving was some guy in his truck from 25yds away yelling at me "Hey!, what are you looking at?" I replied, "the moon, what the fuck do you think?", and went back to watching the moon for another 20 min before trying to walk home and being interrupted by the county sheriff.

I wasn't staring in anybody's window or anything, I just wanted to watch the moon. Fuck the neighbors. I have the entire universe to watch and be fascinated with. Since when is gazing into the universe with wonder considered a potential crime?

7. In there eyes its suspicion. On the norm people just don't do that. I'm glad you are fascinated with the environment but it's still suspicious activity :)

8. u worship the moon?

9. Fuck no I don't worship the moon! :rolleyes: It's just cool, which is why I wanted to watch it. It's amazing, you should also watch it some time. It blows my mind with 25x binoculars. It can't be beat. It's the closest object we have in space, and can be studied with incredible detail using nothing more then a $15 set of binoculars.

(The next time I decide to blow my mind with astropyhsics, I'm going out of town so I won't be harrassed. The universe is amazing, and I just want to look at it while not even thinking about a crime, so why should I be harassed because of the mere fact that I'm curious? Fuck the sheriff.

10. My son got binoculars from my mom for Christmas this year, but we left them at her house. :( Wish I had them now. I like looking at the moon, too.

11. Wtf you were looking at the moon for 25 minutes? Hmm... :smoking:

12. Because staring off into the night is fucking amazing.

13. nature is awesome id only spend maybe couple minutes lookin at the moon not 25. id watch shootin stars for 25 though. nothing beats nature just so perfeect and pretty!

14. Dude K semlar I dont need to read any more of the thread.. But right here I wonder what you look like. honestly bro, Ive pmed you before, but it all depends what you look like if you were being suspicious or not.

I totally think you werent being suspicious, but if you look like long hair, beard I dunno... Anything out of oridinary for your area than the cop is gonna be a bitch and think your suspicious. Lemme know man..

Edit: i forgot, kickass for jsut watching the moon. that is respectable behavior. I dig it!

15. looking at the moon on a starry night is an amazing experience. no one needs to worship anything it's human nature and applaud this guy for doing something I personally watch myself.

Sheriff's I guess couldn't believe you actually watching the moon like some people here. LOL

16. #16 shayan, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    dude, at least u got yo knife back. :rolleyes:

"Originally Posted by Makizushi
    Wtf you were looking at the moon for 25 minutes? Hmm... "

aiiight i gotta admit that shit is crazy. one thing about we stoners is that our eyes usually get locked on sth. when we're in deep thoughts.

17. Sounds to me like they were doing their job, they couldn't have known for sure what someone was doing, drunk, in a park at night with a knife and binoculars. If they really wanted to mess with you they could've taken your knife and cited you for public intoxication, sounds like they were being pretty reasonable to me

18. you'd think the sheriff would have something better to do with his time...but I guess not

19. To me, checking on some drunk dude in middle of a parking lot at night with binocs is what we pay them for. Its not like the cops beat him and drug him to jail or gave him some weak ticket. They checked it out and sent him home. No harm no foul. They did a fine job.

20. I've spent that amount of time gazing at the moon. It's just a great thing to stare at I guess.