Just found out my grandfather is going to die...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by TheDankDude, Dec 14, 2012.

1. #1 TheDankDude, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
    So my grandpa has been in a nursing home for a few years (dementia, alzhiemers, heart problems) and my older sister just texted me saying he has a hole in his intestines and they expect him to not last the next few days. He is in intense pain right now.

I dunno man, we've grown apart over the years, but when i was younger i used to love going to my grandparents house. It was so much fun. And now ive got this guilt cause i havent seen him in almost a yea,r mixed with sadness. Man i hate this.

I may not see him every day, but dammit im going to miss him.

Right around christmas too.

=/

2. I know what you mean. I used to think that after a loved one died that you'd kinda forget about them after a while. Now I know that you never forget. Go round there, send some time and say good bye. You'll never regret it, and you'll never forget it if you don't.

3. I really want to go see him man. But i physically can't. I dont have any gas for my car and he's over an hour away.

I'd ask my parents but we aren't exactly on speaking terms.

i dunno, ill ask my sister....

fuck, man.

4. Just remember that this world may not be the greatest thing that your existence will ever know.

5. Do whatever you can to get there. Call a friend, hitch a ride, walk/run, whatever. Whether you get along with your family or not they're ultimately the reason you're here and once they're gone you'll never see them again, never have a chance to say things you regretted leaving unsaid. Don't carry that weight with you.

6. That is some hard news to receive. I hope you do get a chance to say goodbye to him. You and your's are in our thoughts and prayers. :smoke:

7. Yea, im gonna do my best to get over there. He's not coherent but i just want to see him.

8. Maybe if you asked your folks to help you get to see him it may help your relationship with them......but def go see him asap, you'll regret it if you don't....they get to the point where they aren't with it enough to really visit with you, so go soon

9. I've learned one thing from losing a lot in my life, to def learn to cherish & forgive no matter how HARD that can be. I'm sure threw your grandpa eyes, he doesnt see it as you do. There is no hurt or resentment because you didn't visit. I'm sure all that really matters now is that you are there by his side,so go be there. Kiss him,hug him..tell him you love him & wish you would've spent more time with him,because all he really has to know is that you care & if you only knew, you could show him that with just words :]
    My condolences to you on this hard time in your life. Just remember are loved ones arent as far away as we may think they are. Stay strong <3

10. Thanks blades, i really appreciate the kind words.

I'm gonna talk to my dad and see if we can go see him. I'm sure he'll be going, its his dad after all. And now with this, both his parents are gone.

But never really that far.

11. Just got some goodh(ish) news.

The doctor cant tell how big the whole in his intestines is, so they are going to wait until tomorrow to do some tests. If its small, it can be fixed and he'll live another couple of months, but if its big he could be dead in by 6pm tomorrow. But he's doing better, not in a lot of pain, responding to doctors.

Fingers crossed, im holdin on to this good news.

12. Condolences, mate. And all the best wishes for the best possible outcome.

It sucks. I remember well the pain of losing my grandfather, but it's one of those occasions where you have to focus on the positive. Death shouldn't be an occasion of would've/could've/should've, but an excuse to truly celebrate both the life they lived and the life you have.

13. I'm sorry man. I lost my grandfather back in May, it was really hard and I miss him a lot. :( Call up some friends or go do something you love to keep your mind off of it. Good vibes to you in this difficult time. <3

14. I know how you feel man, my grandmas in a home and very unstable. Can't eat, walk, talk. It's heartbreaking to see a loved one like that. My family doesn't get along but for some reason when we visit her, it almost brings us together. He may not be able to understand but he'll know your there bro. Do whatever it takes to see him.