Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just did some research on MMJ and the work world.... Not happy.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Stoned Italian, Feb 17, 2010.

1. So apparently an individual with a MMJ card can still get fired if subjected to a drug test by their employer. Because it's still a federal crime, employers are able to terminate individuals using MJ regardless of the relief it medically gives them.

This is bullshit. Just thought I'd let anyone know in case they were wondering...

2. That blows. Could make for an interesting court case someday.

3. lol what a shame. i think if that happened to me, i probably would try and file some kind of dispute or something like that.

4. MMJ will have it's place in the world, after people get past the stigma, but it won't be respected as a real medicine for quite some time. So i think this very controversy will be going on for quite some time.
    Not to say that it wont be legal within the next 10 years, it will :hello:

5. yep...but there are some places that could care less

6. as long as your not medicated during the job youll be fine. im sure if you confronted your boss and told him the 100 percent turth hed understand. Something that doesnt affect your working should not be penelized against you. any judge would understand that.

7. I heard if you get a Marinol perscription you'll be fine, just admit to using marinol to your employer, and it tests the same as mj.

8. several people have already been fired even though they had a card and there was nothing they could do about it

9. in canada im pretty sure then you can file for disability. if your medication disables you to work then you need to live some how.

10. I love working in a family-owned business ;)

But yeah that does suck, i suggest moving to canada if you can somehow afford it

11. Do you know that for a fact???

12. Even if fully legalized an employer will still be able to require an employee to pass a drug test. Recreational users will most likely never have any protection. However, after cannabis gets rescheduled we might see patient employment protection but I don't see that being the case for recreational users.

13. now that you mention it, thats kinda weird. if it is fully legalized, would they just take it off the drug tests? i mean, if its legal but they still test for it, wouldnt that be kinda weird? isnt a drug test used to test for any illegal substances? it works with alcohol and cigarettes because those dont stay in your body for long but if marijuana were legal, it would still stay in your body for a while.

but if it's legal, then why would an employer discriminate against people who smoke it, whether for recreational or medical use? i think thats still kinda grey area, but ive never thought about that til now lol.

14. Some employers DO check for alcohol in your system and if you drank a decent amount of alcohol within 24-48 hours prior to the test the test will be positive. Legality of a substance doesn't mean an employer has to be tolerant to your consumption of that substance.

The reason employers discriminate against users of these substances is because people tend to think that what you do on your free time reflects what kind of employee you will be (and whether or not you're a liability), which is absolutely ridiculous.