Just a plastic roof

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by freeridechef, Aug 19, 2016.

1. I was thinking about building a pole barn style green house, open on all sides just the corrugated plastic panels for a roof. This is in kauai hawaii for a legal medical grow. I am going to be covering a 12x20 area growing 21 plants. Any input?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. image.jpeg Big ass eaves. Keep the rain off when it gets sideways.

• Like Like x 3
  3. That's almost exactly what I am doing. [​IMG]
    Just got to put the roofing on this evening when it's not so damn hot.
    So you find you have to water more often being under the roof

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  4. does the corrugated roof reduce the amount sunlight they get?, they look good.

5. does the corrugated roof reduce the amount sunlight they get?, they look good.

6. Only fractionally, and that's from the 2x4s, not the plastic. Such a small amount is pretty much unnoticeable

7. #8 FickySiskers, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Howzit freeridechef, awesome progress. That pic above is of my buddies in OR and gave me inspiration for mine. What I did was similar but I plumbed the enclosure for blumats. I used (2) 65 gallon stock tanks for catchment off the roof. I use 35 gallon no-till geoplanters in mortar pans. They are run as SIP in veg then drained and blumats turned on outside. So watering is pretty much fool proof.

IMG_0136.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. #9 Rowsdower, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    I really like the looks of this. I think I'm going to build one similar to it for next season. I think a 14'x20' area should suffice for 6 plants directly in the ground. From my calculations, that allows two rows of three plants each, with a foot extra on each side, should the plants reach a diameter of 6'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Excellent work:

I've been using that pvc stuff for many years

imo: its worth testing as many samples as you can find

many manufacturers will downright lie(as they do) as to how good it is

they all say it won't fade or stay clear

but it always rots down ..just as well? ..lol

I favor the green tinge over the blue shade

thinking more natural light gets thru

good luck

ps I prefer steel framing at about 1-1.5 inches in a sheltered location, to reduce shadows