Jury duty in Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by Rotties4Ever, Jan 25, 2012.

1. So a handful of my poker buddies got letters saying theyve been selected to serve on jury duty, different times, but still pretty weird. Anyways one buddy says fuck it he doesnt want to go, so weve been discussing ways to not get selected to serve as a juror.
    While me personally, I know the two magic words, but I am wondering....

What are some of the ways in canada, you can get excused from serving jury duty?

have you served as a juror before?
    tell us about your experience

or any other relevent info...

2. #2 Simmerten, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    I got a letter asking to do jury duty right after I turned 18, nothing ever came of it though.

When they interview you for jury duty don't act like a objective person. They want objective people who aren't biased. I heard tellin them that you've been in a similar situation as the "victim" of the case might help them not pick you.

3. In Australia you don't get a choice, if you're selected you have to do it. I did it late last year, and it wasn't that bad. Free biscuits, paid week off work plus $20 a day for doing the Jury Duty, which mean I could eat in Chinatown everyday that I was in for it.
    Met a few cool people, found out some dude wasn't a rapist...all in all it wasn't too bad.

4. i'm pretty sure you can get out of it if you act like a drug addicted perverted sex addicted paranoid racist bipolar person with an identity crisis

5. Say you have a bunch of family or friends who are/have been policemen or lawyers. Defense attorneys will scratch you right of the potential juror list

6. I didn't even know that happens in Canada

7. #7 Rotties4Ever, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    fucking larry david..art of trolling

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFebZlUJ7E]Curb Your Enthusiasm - Jury Duty - YouTube[/ame]

why stop here?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0w90qcGXls[/ame]

8. Smart people don't do Jury Duty. Maybe if you got paid but you don't.

There is no benefit.

9. I think in canada, if you never voted you wont be sent to jury duty, but I might be wrong

What's the two words op?

10. [quote name='"Alrex"']
    What's the two words op?[/quote]

I'm taking a wild guess but I'd say "Fuck off" haha

11. All you gotta do is say your racist

12. Pretty sure Canada is the same way as the US, a bunch of people get selected (more than the amount of jurors) then when you get there, this will happen Jury selection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you can get out during the selection, but who cares? I'd just do it

13. I heard they ask you a bunch of random ass questions like what bumper stickers you have, so just say you have one like I hate negroes or something

14. in canada, the courts use the voters list to choose jurors. don't vote and you won't be picked. but if you do get picked, write them a letter saying you're very sick and go on WebMD.com to find a serious temporary sickness like some strong kind of flu or something where you have zero energy to move. they don't ask for proof if you write a heartfelt letter, i'd know.