Joseph Campbell Discussion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SoulSpelunker, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Hey everybody!
    New member here (I'll spare you the obscure details of my life). Happy to be a member of the community!

I've spent a lot of time reading Joseph Campbell, smoking weed, and thinking about what he says. Different symbols, stories, and archetypes resonate with me at different times, and as I read about them and one seems to pull me in, I often smoke a bowl and think about what my life is asking of me in that moment. I get the eerie sense, when I do this, of forces that are spoken of in coded language, but which surge in the psyche and soul in a way which can sometimes make us feel as if we are at their mercy, and at others, sailing or soaring on their currents.

So heres to Joe Campbell and all of the work that he did.
    Any other fans out there?
    For those unfamiliar, I think this is the best place to start!
    Watch Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers Online | Vimeo On Demand
    (I'll work on finding a free link, but at least it's cheap)

Cheers everyone, and as the man said, follow your bliss!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maybe no one here knows about there hero’s journey..? That thanks to campbells insight into the dissection of mythology, and the bare minimum required of that journey to become those people of ledgers.
    Thanks to him we have the likes of George Lucas, and j. K. Rowling. That because of him, we could all see the underlying conditions from Hercules, and Odysseus, to Harry Potter, and Luke skywalker, ( both of which pays homage to Campbell). I’m sure we’re all familiar with the conclusion of the marvel series… How many of their origin stories are rife with Campbell-isms..?
    From spideys power and responsibility, to Ironmans heart. Calls to action… which bare necessity to do or flee.
    Who are you going to be when the time comes;when you are called, and tried?
    But I guess know one here knows what comes next… you have to fail. It’s inevitable. It’s this failure the shows your mettle. Do you stand taller, or do you slink away..?