Jobs/College Major Advice in Marijuana

Discussion in 'General' started by jonesy-jay, Jun 30, 2017.

1. While I know this seems like a stoner's dream, let me explain myself a little first. Im Lily, Im 18 going into college with credits already under my belt. I've been lost my entire life on what Id like to do for my future and my career. I've always loved the outdoors, loved planting, and loved smoking weed. Ive seen the effects its had on my family, my step dad died from his addiction to precription drugs, while my uncle is living a healthy life in California being allowed to smoke to overcome his schizophrenia. It's something I am passionate about, and that I feel like I can help others with if I'm involved in it. I busted my ass my entire 18 years: being apart of National Honors Society, won a state history competition, student of the month awards, worked since I was 14 on top of concurrent enrollment and AP classes, highest honor roll and leadership positions at work.
    I'm going to Utah State this year with my major in plant science with a focus on horticulture. I've been looking at jobs out of state, specifically in Colorado because it's close enough to my home but far enough to where I can start my own life doing something that I love. I'm wondering if after my freshman year at Utah State the smarter option would be to move to Colorado and get right into the action, maybe find some internships. Also I am wondering out of these major concentrations (Major in Horticulture < Colorado State University) which would be the best for the marijuana industry? I would love to be a grower or a lab technician extracting the flowers. What can I do to make this a reality? What are employers who want growers and lab technicians wanting from us? Anyone who works in the industry that could give me advice, please let me know!

• Like Like x 1
  2. If I were going to spend one year in Utah, I would go two years and complete an associates degree. Many times, transferring credits to a new school is easier with the associates degree competed.

Otherwise, I would be tempted to move to the new state and work for a year to establish residency. It would be less expensive that way.

3. Tbh, internships will be rare in the industry until you at LEAST have an associates if not a bachelors. Haven't ever heard of internships at the associate level but if you know how to sell yourself and are dedicated, shouldn't be a problem.

I'd focus on establishing residency, that way you can start trimming...which is just the tip of the iceberg but it is ACTUAL work experience in the said field. Showing you really want to succeed in the industry and are willing to start at the ground level, whether that's true or not. It's still a great job and anyone that wants to be truly knowledgeable needs to know every aspect of a business to some degree.

You can even tell them you have a thirst for practical application of what you're learning in school (Horticulture is BEST just because it opens your horizons beyond just cannabis). You'll have to find the right people, and you are interviewing THEM as much as they are you.

Can even do volunteer work but you are still going to need a MED license.

Just my humble opinion, but people that are throwing everything into book learning do not look like the best candidates always. DRIVE is what's important, and having experience (even entry level) with a degree will take you FAR.

4. Welcome to the city, blade!

First off congratulations on working hard in the academia field! Education is tough these days and the price is only skyrocketing for all attendees of higher pursuits. You mentioned you had an interest in history so right there is a start.

From someone who started off like yourself with AP credits before entering college and busting add in extracurricular activity (my instance I held a job while slamming 5 AP courses) you will want to avoid burn out, especially since weed is what you are into.

It is very easy to get sidetracked and having friends distract you from your main goal will be every weekend if not every day. Best advice for concentration approach would be Business degree, as it is most universally usable in the working world. From actual experiences taking courses you may find history or any subject for that matter, may no longer interest you.

In the case of college do what helps you stay focused on graduating without extended stay because the cost of loans is STUPID HIGH! Like the above poster said, get field experiwnce with trimming or budtending ASAP, as this will familiarize you with how the economics works in real world situations.

Best of luck to you!
    :wave: