JMS31207's Glass Photography thread

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by JMS31207, Nov 30, 2011.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEJqNCrafpk&]Sequence 01 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    another vid

2. That thing stacks like crazy!

3. [quote name='"bmorebuddhabro"']Beautiful tube[/quote]

Thank you!

4. #25 AaangelicaaA, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    Beautiful pix, I must say... and I have been (amateur) photoing our glass pieces for about 4 years now! Sure looks like you picked it up faster than me. ;)

Just a few suggestions/constructive criticisms...
    Try to retain the color more in the pix. One thing I hate, being a glassblower myself and almost know every color by site, is when people enhance pix so much that the true color is not retained. Yes, they look bright and beautiful but the enhancement does seem deceiving. I take my color piece pix... edit/crop them and I also put the piece up to my computer screen to make sure I've retained the color well. Sometimes I'll edit and think it's right onbut when put up to the actual piece, it is not. Now... that's if they're looking to advertise the piece for sale individually with that pic. If the pix are for.... like a flyer/postcard to advertise they're shop or a trade show --- right on! Those pix are perrrrfect!
    Second... take the price tags off the piece before picturing. :p Looks a little tacky and demotes the pic.

Oh... and suggestion about your backdrops... when I first started, I found a shit load of nice material to use as backdrops at thrift shops =) They're usually like a buck or two!

But overall... I really like your work. Where are you located.... SD??

Check out my pix (see link below) lol. I do think yours are better [​IMG]

BTW.... may I ask how much that UBG mini stemless was?? :rolleyes:;):devious:

5. Thanks for the constructive criticism. There was a couple issues regarding color that forced me to edit them the way I did. I was using halogen bulbs (cheap inaccurate ones) to light, but the shop owner wouldn't turn off his tungsten lamp, nor his florescent ceiling lights so I had to try my best and match 3 completely different color temperatures. White balancing washed out a little bit of the color but I was able to recover most.

And yeah the pictures are for advertising purposes, not for online gallery or sale of individual pieces.

As far as price tags go, the shop owner said he didn't want me to take them off... lol. I warned him that it would make them look tacky but he wouldn't budge on it.

I'm in Houston Texas, I wish I was in San Diego lol.

which UBG stemless?

6. also, i really didnt have enough light for the bigger pieces, so i had to just deal with some of the colors being underexposed. Thats why you cant see the colorwork on the bowl pieces for most of the pictures. Getting more lights soon.

7. Too bad you're not in SD =) Great pix. I had to show Eric (my husband/glassblowing partner) your pix too. I'd loooove to know what camera you are using because I've been looking at new cameras for Christmas!

Ya... different lightings can really wig the pic out. Natural lighting is great too. I like to take pix when the sun is not so bright (or am under some shade if there is a lot of sun)... like just before sunset works best for me. ;) Keep up the great work. Check us out if you're ever in San Diego.

I was referring to the UBG with the red label. Has a black and white bowl piece on it. I think it was the 9th pic.

8. [quote name='"AaangelicaaA"']

Too bad you're not in SD =) Great pix. I had to show Eric (my husband/glassblowing partner) your pix too. I'd loooove to know what camera you are using because I've been looking at new cameras for Christmas!

Ya... different lightings can really wig the pic out. Natural lighting is great too. I like to take pix when the sun is not so bright (or am under some shade if there is a lot of sun)... like just before sunset works best for me. ;) Keep up the great work. Check us out if you're ever in San Diego.

I was referring to the UBG with the red label. Has a black and white bowl piece on it. I think it was the 9th pic.[/quote]

Thanks! It means a lot to hear that. I'm only 19 and I'm really just starting out with photography. I do professional videography work for a production company so a lot of the skills transferred over pretty easy.

I'm shooting with a Canon 7D with a $100 lens slapped on the front ;) (50mm 1.8). Three clamp lights were used, two 75 watt halogen bulbs, one 60watt incandescent bulb if I recall correctly. So not really much invested as far as photo equipment goes. Most of the video equipment I use I get from the production company for shoots, but this was something I did on my own.

That red UGB was $250 I think... Now sure though.

9. sick camera work and vid's, i'll be subbed to watch your progress. keep takin those sick shots we all wanna see! :smoking:

10. You son of a BITCH!! you have my dream job :p

11. Nice pics...
    I MUST HAVE THAT BUB IN THE 2nd PIC!! OMG...:eek:

12. Well shit, I feel like my olympic might be broken or something, the water always leaks down into the bottom part. It still works, stacks just as high and everything, but idk haha.

13. [quote name='"weshowly"']

Well shit, I feel like my olympic might be broken or something, the water always leaks down into the bottom part. It still works, stacks just as high and everything, but idk haha.[/quote]

That just means the holes are bigger. If the crown has really small grids it will hold up a little bit of the water.

Where did you get yours?

14. ahh okay okay, good to know, thanks for the info!

I picked it up from a local headshop called The Vault, I think I saw Olympic say its one of the only three places in my area that carries it and the other two were at least an hour away, so I'm really lucky he carried them, I love the piece though, its a champion.

15. [quote name='"weshowly"']

ahh okay okay, good to know, thanks for the info!

I picked it up from a local headshop called The Vault, I think I saw Olympic say its one of the only three places in my area that carries it and the other two were at least an hour away, so I'm really lucky he carried them, I love the piece though, its a champion.[/quote]

Yeah I'm sure it is. I know mine is a beast, hits so smooth with absolutely no drag. Post a video of it up the milk-shot thread. I would love to see one of my olympian brothers bubblin.

16. haha okay okay will do, I have one now but its a pretty crummy video, and it was my first dab out of it so I was kinda taken back lol.