Jesus on the cross

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ooogapi, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Does this image bother anyone? This is arguable the most iconic image in Christianity, and it is an image of pain, suffering, torture, and mutilation. To quote Dr. William Mackey, "It is the most horrible, viscious, bloodthirsty symbol of any religion earth." It shows a human being in excrutiating pain, with no hope of survival. And people walk around with this symbol hanging around there necks, or post pictures with captions like, "we should be more like him!" They even have it in some chruches so they force you to look at this horrendously sick image of a man on his last couple breaths with blood running down all over him. The irony is this was supposedly the purest human, and this was his end. What hope do any of us have?

1461687264811.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Twice-a-year, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    I'm not a religious man but also would not consider myself an atheist as I feel there are many unknowns in life.

To Christians, the death of Jesus in such fashion is the entire point. He is considered pure and without sin yet willingly chose to sacrifice himself to earn God's forgiveness for the rest of us.

The cross serves as a reminder of that sacrifice and a calling to remain humble. Of course we also live in a world where everything is cheapened for vanity and greed but the cross still holds its meaning to the faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. It's just repurposed earlier pagan symbols to me. Tropaion 2.png images (3) (1).jpg images (3) (2).jpg RRC-426-3-Obverse.jpg

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Interesting^^^

Yea, I agree with OP.
    What kind of hope does that bring to your life? It's also a little bit contradictory of a symbol.. Man on cross, bleeding from palms and feet, ready to die...K sure and it mea s what? He died for us, he sacrificed himself for us because we are naturally "bad"? So he is then better than us, for having done so? Wtf? It's amazing this stuff goes over people's heads in day to day life, like it's just fucking "normal" to walk around with a big T with a dead dude on it. It's weird.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Looking at Leviticus we see the "ScapeGoat" ritual using two Goats. One Goat is set free into the wilderness. The other Goat is offered up as a Sin offering.

Leviticus 16:7-10

"7 And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the Lord at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

8 And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the Lord, and the other lot for the scapegoat.

9 And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the Lord's lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering.

10 But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness."

Jesus after facing Pilate is offered by him to be released. Instead of Jesus (Son of God) being released, Barabbas (Son the Father) is released, and Jesus is sacrificed.

Mark 15:6-15

"6 Now at that feast he released unto them one prisoner, whomsoever they desired.

7 And there was one named Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made insurrection with him, who had committed murder in the insurrection.

8 And the multitude crying aloud began to desire him to do as he had ever done unto them.

9 But Pilate answered them, saying, Will ye that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

10 For he knew that the chief priests had delivered him for envy.

11 But the chief priests moved the people, that he should rather release Barabbas unto them.

12 And Pilate answered and said again unto them, What will ye then that I shall do unto him whom ye call the King of the Jews?

13 And they cried out again, Crucify him.

14 Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him.

15 And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified."

Online Etymology Dictionary

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood. ~George Carlin

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nope, as a good catholic boy, I got dragged to church every sunday for my hour of jesus cookies and peace be with you.
    Those images were everywhere. Gave me something to look at while I was bored about hearing about 'AND NOW A LETTER FROM THE CORINTHIANS TO THE EPHESIANS..'

8. Catholicism's use of the crucifix (being generally the one with the image of Jesus on the cross as well) is based largely in the idea of the mass, and Christ being offered up again for sins during each one. There's a sort of "eternal sacrifice" going on where Jesus dies anew each week for the continued sins of his people, so the imagery of pain and death is pressed to trigger guilt / inspire appreciation. Sin is paid for by suffering; this is part of why they tend to be more graphically terrifying in display in general (most of those scary pictures of bleeding hearts with barbed wire, that Passion movie, most cathedral murals, etc.)

The mass and its implications were what divided most forms of christianity from Catholicism after the Roman era, so most other christian groups don't include the display of the body, though their reasons for continuing to use the device as an icon vary a bit, and many don't. Some view it as a pagan hold over like davros said, some view it as a historical "shibboleth" from the Roman persecution, and some say Jesus wasn't even put on a cross.

Modernly, the use of the cross / torture device as an icon is generally meant to evoke a range of ideas, including hope, as the belief is common among all groups that the crucifixion was the beginning of a story that started with his resurrection three days later and is being culminated in their faith. The resurrection of the dead is the core tenant of christianity, so for christians the cross doesn't symbolize just the end, but also the beginning. Part of that "I am the alpha and the omega" saying, I suppose.

9. With sincerity...what? Please use layman's terms :)

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. You won't find a cross or crucifix anywhere in the LDS church. It's a torture device. Why the fuck would you hang it around your neck?

11. Okay , here are some facts
    1 Jesus was not put on a cross. It was simply a torture stake/ "a pole".
    2 the cross was worshiped 400 years prior to Jesus being on earth.
    3 the cross is a phalic symbol. " a penis "

So...... Yes it is very stupid for "Christendom" / " false Christianity " to hold that symbol so dear. ... Eg. If Jesus were to be executed via point blank range gun shot, would people still wear that image and post it every where. I think not so why people why?! Idiots that's why. False prophets teaching tickle the ears of their hearers. Smh. People thinking that they are doing right are really doing bad. Lol and back to the Phalic symbol " a penis " how many people have a cross tattooed on them haha idiots.