Jaw Surgery

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by stunnedsensless, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I'm thinking about getting jaw surgery to correct a mandibular prognathism/open bite and was wondering if theres anyone else here that's had that done or knows anything about the surgery like how you prep for it, recovery and what not. and most of all is it worth it. I think it'd be nice to be able to eat with the teeth in the front of my mouth :p

anyways it's something my orthodontist has mentioned for a couple years but I've started to consider it more and more the past couple months. Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. My ortho told me I'd need jaw surgery too, for a retruded chin.

So they're gonna be breaking my jaw in two places, moving it forward however many millimeters they need to, and secure it in place/wire mouth shut for a week.

I also can't 'cut' through food, it's more like tearing, because my bottom front teeth don't touch the top.

I'd say it's definitely worth it, but can only speak for myself. Make sure you have insurance and stuff because they told me it's a 20-30k surgery, and Kaiser covers it completely if it's causing functional problems.

Recovery is just tons of liquids/blended stuff, and some Vico's or w/e they prescribe.

I've heard open bite can be caused by tongue thrusting, might wanna check it out if they haven't informed you yet.

There's a youtube channel called Molen Orthodontics which shows a lot of jaw problems and their treatment.

Our situations are slightly different, but hope I helped and good luck!

3. I don't know what the exact issue with my jaw is, but it was back and moved over the the right. I could have gotten jaw surgery. But instead I've been wearing braces for an extra two years, near the end of the summer last year I had the appliance for my jaw removed from my mouth. It's called a CBJ and I had it with Damon braces. They're both new technologies. (Apparently) the CBJ is basically two metal springs connecting my top and bottom teeth on each side. The springs didn't really look like bed springs or anything though. Then they would add little pieces of metal to adjust it to get it where it needs to be. Now, I have to wear rubber bands to hold my jaw in place to prevent it from returning back to place. So yes, I still have braces, and yes, I look like I'm 14, but I know it'll be worth it when they come off this August :) Here's a link with more info on that if you're interested.

Martin Fine Orthodontist

4. Thanks for the info. I was reading that you have to wear braces anywhere from 6-18 months pre surgery and up to 6 months post surgery. Do you have any idea if this is true or if its just a rough estimate?