Japanese beetles ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by northeast, Aug 5, 2007.

1. In the heat of the day they come from everywhere and seem to nest on the big female . they just infest it and look like they are having sex one on top of the other in pairs . they dont seem to be doing any harm YET but I still dont like them around her although they are not bothering the smaller girl 1/4 the size . what can be done ??

2. cedar chips from the pet shop in the grow area repells them
    & other Natural repellents include catnip, chives, garlic, and tansy, and the remains of dead beetles

Steep 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic in 20 ml of vegetable oil for 24 hours.
    Add 1 litre of water and 10 ml of liquid dish soap.
    Strain.
    Spray on plants every 4 or 5 days.

3. Steep ?
    over heat like tea ?
    or just soak ?
    Taking a guess here . I have started to over lowest setting of heat on stove steeping garlic lots of it in olive oil / canola blend

4. yep, steep as in making tea

5. thank you ..

6. I have concocked everything to the letter exactly and it doesnt seem to work the little S.O.Bs are still roosting ( not eating as I can tell ) but none the less still there and it seems they brought friends .. the friends look to be red striped leaf hoppers although I have only seen a couple of them they are there as well . will neem oil work on these little buggers as well as the japanese beetles ???

7. yes neem oil should work on any insects, Im suprised they were unaffected, but then again my dogs flea treatments keep changing as the fleas keep becoming immune to insect sprays

that treatment has worked on most other insect problems here on the board by the way

8. Look for assassin bugs..they will kill japanese beetles i believe.I dont know if you can buy them tho.Beetle bags can help a bit.

9. assassin bugs bite . Like Painfull as hell . update ... it took a little stronger dose of the oil/garlic solution to water but it worked and seems to be working ever since NO BUGS AT ALL . besides this HUGE crazy wasp looking thing. I mean HUGE as long as my thumb and pretty fat it had mandibles on front blue /purple wings and a stinger you could clearly see sticking out of its back side . well this mutant wasp thing. tried taking possesion of my big girl and was fearsly defending it fending me away of the plant and as soon as I backed off it would fly back to the MJ and just hang out ( like on watch ) so I waged a little war with it. killed it and dropped it off at a friends house who is pretty good with bugs she doesnt know what the hell it is and neither do I GUYS if you could have seen it . it was like from a horror movie still gives me the creeps

10. I wanna see.

Glad to hear your ladies are free of JBs.

gl