J.D. Salinger is dead :(

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Highest, Jan 28, 2010.

1. damn I loved that book...

2. Cather in the Rye is such a classic. Great book. I identified with Holden Caulfield so much at the time I read it..

3. I agree, what a great book. Read it in my last year in high school.

4. I reread Catcher in the Rye about a year ago, at 21 years old.
    The first time I read it, I was 15.

At 15, I thought the book was amazing. It really "changed" my life.
    When I read it again, at 21....it was different. I enjoyed it the second time, but I think it was the nostalgia that came with it. I wondered to myself if I would have thought the book to be so great if that had been my first time reading it. It would have seemed as a good book, but not as amazing I think.

It's something that you have to read as an adolescent....in those young and confusing years, to fully appreciate.

Just my opinion though.

5. Agreed 100%

And at least now they can make a movie on it, but if they ever did it'd have to be fucking epic, not some half-ass garbage

6. am i the only one here who didnt like that book :eek:

but anyways rip

7. I read that book every year around the time I first read it in 5th grade. It's become some sort of a ritual for me, lmao. Great book.

Now that he's gone, though, it opens up the possibility of a movie being made. I think it could be wonderfully adapted to film, with the right director and screenplay writer.

He was somewhat a grouch in his later years. I'm sure he's glad to have passed on.

RIP.

8. The inspiration for like, my favourite Green Day song... he lived a long good life.

R.I.P.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnxlfe2M6l8]YouTube - Green Day - Who Wrote Holden Caufield?[/ame]

9. Super, super, supersad, I have been such an admire of his work, I think I have read the Catcher more than 40 times or so.

Goodby Holden, Franny and Zooiey and all the glasses.....

RIP

SJ

10. awh:(
    i loved that book. haha.
    R.I.P

11. wow RIP but

i had to read that book 2 years ago and fucking hated it its about abunch of fucken FONIES

12. RIP.

My favorite author. Has anybody read his short stories, they're great.

Apparently he wrote a prequel to Catcher in the Rye, but never wanted it published, and cannot legally be printed until 50 years after his death, so I will probably never read it. :(

It's sad to think that Hollywood will sink their teeth into his writings and pollute them with a movie version.
    :(

13. I'm saddened but super stoked because apparently he's been writing and storing away everything and had a thing signed saying they'll be published upon his death!.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... NEW JD SALINGER STUFF!!!...

But it still sucks..:(

14. #15 Lionel Hutz, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I heard that rumor myself.....

BBC News - JD Salinger, author of Catcher in the Rye, dies at 91

It's weird though. Salinger didn't have a healthy relationship with most of his family and was most likely a really really REALLY weird fucker. But anyways It all comes down to who gets control of his estate and what they will do with the manuscripts (if there actually are some). ALSO, it's worthwhile to note that the reason there has never been a Catcher in the Rye film is because Salinger forbid it. Whoever gets his estate gets the right to that story as well. Who knows what the future of Salinger fiction will be....

15. So disappointing, but with death - comes new life! Maybe we'll get to see some of his unwritten work. Something tells me we won't, but we'll have to see

16. I read it 4 years ago in freshman year. I didn't really like it, I couldn't identify with it. Maybe because I already knew what I wanted to do in life.

17. I'm 70% through with Catcher in the Rye and I don't like all that much. It seems to go no where. Like, plot? Hello? Are you there? If you want a truly good read that deals with alot of the same themes and such, read Catch-22. A classic, of course, but also the funniest book i've ever read. If someone would like to clairfy catcher for me i'd appreciate it because it must be such a well renowned book for SOME reason..

PS. RIP Salinger. You must have been a very repesctable man for so many people to acknowledge your passing. Pardon my unfailing ignorance.