i've never heard of this happening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by l420a, Mar 14, 2010.

1. i just finished an organic plant in soil in my closet. i had noticed a few times during my grow that little green plants sprung up from the soil and started taking light, each time i responded by chopping it down.

For the last month of flowering there has been a plant that grew up from the soil that i didn't chop. And while I was harvesting my plant today i brushed my hand up against it by mistake and felt a shocking bolt of pain all over my hand. Close examination concluded that the little sprung up plant (about 3-4 inches in size with 3 leaf sets and sprouting new ones) had extremely sharp cactus-like spikes jutting out.

The spikes penetrated surprisingly deep, i washed off my hand with peroxide and it was fine. but HOLY $hit!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this of have any knowledge?

i can post pictures if anyone wishes

2. DAMN that is crazzy! Ive never heard of this either but I wouldn't mind a pic if it isn't too much trouble

I mean obviously you had some sort of seeds in your soil. What type of soil were you using and what did you add to it? Also did they start popping out after a memorable incident or had they been sprouting since day 1?

3. also try using your macro on it?

4. Sounds like you got some weed seeds in your soil mix. This can often be a sign that the compost used to make the soil was not made properly.

5. Stinging nettle?

[​IMG]

6. I'd like to see pics out of curiosity. I work the landscaping so I might know what kind of weed it is.

7. Thistles will get you like you described also.........FYI, I always remove any wayward sprout that might find it's way up through my soil mix.

I don't like anything else competing with my plants.

chunk

8. yea around my parts we call it seven minuet ich the suck pluck those fuckers out as soon as you see them the only good thing about them is that they will ward off any animals wanting you ladies.:smoking:

9. it isnt a stinging nettle or thistle. Ill pull the pictures up on the computer on my computer when i get home later. Its hard to tell in the photos because they might be fuzzy but it looks a lot like a cannabis plant, except the leaves were covered in SHARP cactus like stingers.

oh and im using straight up FFOF. I would be shocked if no one on here has ever seen little plants starting to grow up out of the top of the planter. Especially when their isnt that much soil covering the roots from the light.

10. Last time I used FFOF, I had an issue as well, but not the same.

I like to mix my soil with my hands, and really get in there. I do it in small batches , and like to get "personal" with my soil.

With the FFOF, i was mixing my soil , and my hands started stinging..After a minute or two, my hands started feeling like they had a bunch of little 'cuts' on them, and 5 minutes later were covered in hives??:eek:

I've mixed a lot of soil in my life (non cannabis related), and I've never had this happen before, or since with using other products.

Just reading the first post, I knew that the OP was using FFOF. This 'soil' is to be avoided IMHO.