I've come to the shitty realization that school isn't for me

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by 52Lewis20Reed, Oct 4, 2012.

1. or maybe online classes aren't for me. I'm a little over a month into my technical schools online courses (taking 4 online courses) and I'm doing absolute shit. To be exact on my grades I have a 60 in Lit (didn't turn in my first 2 assignments), 87 in math (my only good grade), 65 in world history, and HAD an 87 in accounting that will surely be a failing grade since I flunked my 2nd test (I don't even want to calculate what my grade is now).

Working nearly 40 hours a week probably doesn't help but I don't think my grades would be that much better if I didn't work at all. It's gotten to a point where I'm not delusional anymore and have faced the fact that I'm not smart. During High School I suffered from my ADD and in "college" I'm suffering from just not being that smart. I know it's way too early to throw in the towel and quit but I'm getting really discouraged from fucking up assignment after assignment from a fucking technical college.

2. Online classes are a mother when you are just getting used to College. It is tough to discipline oneself to set aside a certain time period for course work and study time.

Perhaps force yourself to use a set time to get your work done? Anywho, I hope you stick with it and kick some ass. :smoke:

3. I had online classes in high school. Though, I'm sure college is different, you probably shouldn't just google all the questions...

4. if you take online classes because you think it will be less work than a regular class, then you signed up for the wrong reason.

from my own experience, you may save yourself an hour a week...tops.

but you have to have the motivation & desire to keep up with the work yourself.

just check the course site daily, keep in contact with the professor, & do not slack off.
    online classes are way harder to catch up on when you fall behind.

5. Well, I've had 2 tests that I flunked so far.

First one was my world history test. There is barely any material for that fucking class and I had the materials literally right next to me while I took the test and still failed. At least in High School they gave you a text book to skim through but for my technical college I get a few short PDF documents for a chapter that didn't help me at all for the test, even when I had it out.

My accounting test would have required me reading the book over and over again to get a better score. Of course that would have been the smart thing to do but I was able to look through the book during the test anyways and still failed miserably. I actually thought I did well but my result was a 54 (goddammit). It feels like the only way for me (someone that obviously takes a while to pick up on things) at least 5 hours of reading a few chapters to do well on that test. I know that doesn't sound too bad and it's a possibility. The problem is that I don't have the willpower to sit down and read through a book (an entry level accounting book FFS) for that amount of time.

6. To be fair, I never have things pop up daily. Just about all assignments I've had I get around a week to do.

7. #7 ckycampmember, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
    you still need to be checking it daily.
    it sounds lame, but believe me it makes it way easier to keep up with your work.

for instance, you would normally spend 1-1.5 hours sitting in a classroom.
    so an average class is going to require 3 hours a week of lessons.
    plus your assignments, reading, studying, etc.

so for every class you have, you should be averaging an hour a day.

so if you have 3 classes id do an hour a day for each.
    maybe one in the morning, one after dinner, one before bed?

that way when all the work is due on Saturday/Sunday you have it all done early.
    & you can start on the next chapter.
    itll put you ahead of schedule & near the end of the semester you can slack off.

its important to remember college is for everyone.
    you just have to apply yourself, dont give up man.
    grinding out a minimum wage job is no fun...considering you could make way more with a degree.

8. I'm in a hybrid program where I go to on-campus class 2 days a week and have set online coursework week by week.

From my experience, I really don't enjoy online classes all that much. Sunday night at 10:00pm, usually finds me feverishly half-assing all my work to try and get it turned in by 11:59pm.

Working full time just takes a lot out of me, when I come home from work I go online and relax, not do schoolwork. Just muscle up and hang in there, pal. I did and it's getting easier, but i'll be glad when it's over.

9. I only have one class that I have lectures in and it's only one hour a week. All the other classes display their notes via power point or PDF. There really isn't much to study outside of one class (coincidentally the class that has lectures).

10. Ya, if I manage to finish the semester on a decent note I plan on taking hybrid classes. These full online classes were a fucking mistake. I don't even mind the idea of it. It's just absolute bullshit how teacher put together tests with very little material handed out.

11. No one is born "smart".

You learn, and become "smart".

You're doing online classes, man. If you're having trouble learning the material, then ask for help so you can learn it.

Don't just give up and say "well I'm just not smart". That's just silly. These classes are for you to learn the material, not so you can already know all of it and pass all the tests without even trying. :confused_2:

12. I have an IQ of 165 and my GPA right now, at a school with $42K tuition (every year), is about a 2.0. My GPA in high school was under 2.0 (but I scored in the top 0.01% on my SAT's, while inebriated).

Grades don't mean shit about intelligence. 99% of what they say about you concerns work ethic.

13. How can I ask for help? The material is right there and it's just up to me to do it. You're right, being a negative nancy is honestly the worst thing to do. But I'm really just not good when it comes to school, simple as that.

I had a 2.9 GPA in High School and had a below average SAT score so there's no hidden gem in me to show that I'm actually smart. You can say what you want about work ethic but it seriously takes me a longer time to pick up on things compared to the average person in school.

I hate to short myself like this but it's true. What I'm saying makes it seem as if I'm completely quitting school. I'm far from throwing in the towel since I'm not even half way through the semester. School has just brought me down to a point where I'm not sure if I can continue next semester or next year if I'm shitting the bed in a fucking technical school.

14. #14 *guest, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

How are you not good when it comes to school?

You said yourself that the material is all right there for you to learn... is the problem that you just don't want to bother learning it? :confused:

If it's an issue of not wanting to, then yeah sure, drop out. Find a job at McDonalds or doing manual labor for a few bucks above minimum wage and realize that you may not ever be able to afford a house and you may not ever be able to retire when you get old and you may not ever be able to afford decent vacations and you might just be living in a shithole of an apartment for the rest of your life.

If the issue is just not understanding it, then ask for help.

15. I swear, I've tried to learn it and I just can't. I'm honestly thinking it's the combination of taking online courses and not grasping the material well.

16. If you're trying and you can't learn it, then ask for help. From the person teaching the class, from classmates, from a friend who might understand it better, from online sources, from wherever.

Don't just give up.

17. Hey Lewis,

School is made for a broad crowd. You have to understand how YOU tick first, and then work school in your favour yourself. Are you interested in a main subject?

My son has ADHD, and he is still little, but I already know that the only way he can properly analyze and STORE information now is when he is squeezing something in his palm. Otherwise whatever comes at him goes over his head. Would you call this "not smart"? He is a brilliant little engineer. Me, I need to see the teacher physically, otherwise everything said flies over my head too. I somehow managed to stay valedictorian all the way through the university, but I never could remember people's faces easily in a real life. There is no "not smart" Lewis, at least I don't think so, and I'm old enough to be fairly certain lol. Imo there are only people who don't care about getting better - more knowledgeable, more skillful, more better :)

If your education now about what you want to do in the near future, then try to figure out how your brain works the best. Chew some gum or smoke some weed or hit the treadmill or play Wii before you start learning, but figure it out man. Education broadens your future and it's not a bullshit. Good luck!

18. School isn't for me either. Learned that a long time ago. I don't learn that way

19. Yeah, that sucks. Online classes are the easiest; if you can't cut it with that deal, you're pretty well fucked. I love my online classes, sit on my ass at home, work just a little bit and straight 4.0 average.

Maybe go get a job changing tires or something?

20. #20 monkeycake, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
    Maybe OP should try going to community college. Technical college isn't really... college. It's a scam, mostly. Go to a community college or a big state college, make some friends, smash 18 y/o poontang every weekend (because if you go to college parties, you WILL get laid even if you're a fat fuck), get A's and get your AA. I think you'll find community college even easier than high school.