It's Official: Debt Tops $20 Trillion for First Time; Jumps $317,645,000,000 in 1 Day

Discussion in 'Politics' started by well highdrated, Sep 12, 2017.

1. It's Official: Debt Tops $20 Trillion for First Time; Jumps $317,645,000,000 in 1 Day

At the close of business on Thursday, Sept. 7, according to the Daily Treasury Statement for Friday, the total debt of the federal government was $19,844,587,000,000 and the portion of it subject to the legal limit set by Congress was $19,808,747,000. After President Trump signed the legislation suspending the debt limit, the total debt immediately jumped to $20,162,177,000,000 and the portion of it subject to the limit jumped to $20,126,392,000,000, according to the Daily Treasury Statement for Sept. 8, 2017.

---

Another round of applause is in order. There sure was a lot of love in the air, when he tweeted this nonsense.

Lots of people need to buy cats named "clue"... So they would have one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. #2 IRON-EYES, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you're not growing and raising your own food you're going to be sorry soon in my opinion.
    When people can't get gas for generators, natural gas, or heating oil, the people in the northern cities will flood south, as I'm heating my home WAY up north with wood...

But yes, there has to be an end to the dept ceiling and when that comes, it's going to be catastrophic..
    Peace be with you all......

4. Energy storage and clean energy sources is where we need to be headed...
    Thankfully some smart people are already on it, despite our weird desire to stay married to fossils.

Grid needs to be upgraded and after Irma it's more than clear why. Most of Florida is without power for a few days and who knows when it will come back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. there was nothing untrue about his tweet was there? no. And also, I have to imagine that all the crazy shit happening and emergency response and management issues play quite a bit into this number, don't you?
    I mean, half the west coast burning right now, big storm and massive flooding in texas, over 100,000 homes destroyed, and now a category 4 hurricane walloped the entire state of florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeeeaaahhh. Oil companies are VERY powerful... and they want it to stay that way

8. Fucking outrageous amount of money...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Playing golf every day is an expensive business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #11 AugustWest, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Bipartisan politics hard at work.
    Pretty sure everyone except Sanders and Paul voted for the $100 billion increase to the defense budget.

"The resistance" never resists when it comes to war spending..
    All one happy bunch..

Trump wins because McCain, Ryan, McConnell, Warren, Schumer, and Pelosi all love him today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Later in the day, the president of the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Budget said that while the debt outstanding did decline by $12 billion in his first month, it had nothing to do with new policies implemented by his administration.

“It is true the debt outstanding declined by $12 billion in the first month of Donald Trump’s presidency. We applaud the president for focusing on the debt as an important metric of success and economic health, but would point out that the improvement this early in his term has to do with normal fluctuations in spending and revenues rather than new policies he has implemented,” Maya MacGuineas said.

Fact-checking Trump's claim about debt dropping by $12B in last month

But, experts say, people shouldn’t read much into the numbers. Nor should Trump be popping champagne.

"Considering that Trump hasn’t enacted any fiscal legislation, it’s a bit of a stretch for him to take credit for any changes in debt levels," Dan Mitchell, a libertarian economist and senior fellow at the Cato Institute, told us.

"Debt levels go up and down in the short run based on independent factors such as quarterly tax payments and predetermined expenditure patterns," he said.

The White House did not respond to our query for this fact-check.

What Trump missed in misleading claim about the debt

12. We can ask Obama all about that. Especially those courses in Hawaii. That dude should be better than tiger woods by now.

By the way, fuck Trump. Not defending his golfing. Just pointing at some double standards, not only by you cause I know you didn't like Obama much either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Agreed. The US has a long history of incompetent, lazy parasites occupying the Shite House.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Does Ireland even have a government?

• Funny Funny x 1

15. What has this got to do with the topic at hand? Troll someone else.

16. I even like you p but your not American and make some pretty generally negative statements about us

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ever been here?

18. I can't think of one single politician that I would not call a parasite directly to their face.
    Yeah, it was a jab but really, are your parasites any better than ours? And of so, how? I don't think for a moment that if I go for a swim and get a leech on my leg that my leech is any better than a leech you get on the other side of the world. Same with politicians. Parasites one and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. if i remember correctly he said before the extent of his time in our country was spending time in baltimore. lovely place....not really.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1