it's not what you know, it's who you know

Discussion in 'General' started by mos_def, May 3, 2010.

1. Any truth behind this classic quote?
    I'm finding it to be particularly true when it comes to finding new dealers.

2. correctamoono

3. It's 100% fucking truth when it comes to finding jobs too :mad:

4. that's usually the scenario which people normally use it

5. yeah but at the same time its not who you know but what.

you can get a job because you know a guy but you can't keep it if you don't know wtf you're doing. i can introduce to a dude who has dank but he's not gonna deal with you if you're a fuck up.

you gotta multi task. build knowledge on whatever you're doing and contacts in the industry simultaneously so you don't seem like an idiot when you try and make new contacts.

multi task. like right now i'm drinking a heineken, smoking a cigarette, typing, and i just picked up a pipe to hit. while i'm still typing. multi fucking task ing. thats how i roll.

6. Yeah I know its not all "who you know", its just I've had three jobs scooped away from me and given to family members of empoyees instead and its getting frustrating :(

7. From your dealer all the way to the President...you're damn right it's all about who you know.

Sucks sometimes too.

8. Sometimes it's not who you know, it's who you blow. Like in politics.

9. Thanks man. I just had to clean up a big pile of puke thinking about what Nancy Pelosi has done to get where she's at...Ugh.

10. You gotta sucka few cocks to make it in the movie business

11. The only times I've ever found dealers (other than once) is through other people, so yeah, for me that's very true and it sucks.

12. Or George W. Bush

13. its def true in jobs and drugs. i was paying shitty prices for shitty herb, met the right guy, chron for only a lil bit more money. Never could get acid, met a few of the right people, and can get it pretty often when ive got money. It definitely is about who ya know, although what ya know can help ya out as well.

14. I'd like to think there is a balance involved. :rolleyes:

15. Indeed, my dad always tells me this.

For example I am going into the medical field (nursing). You can go to school and be the best nurse you can be but it seems like that doesn't even matter anymore unless you have connections. My friend went to school to be an LPN I believe for a year and a half and just a couple weeks ago she was posting statuses on fb talking about what a waste of time school was for her because she can't find a job as a nurse (this is suppose to be one of those recession proof jobs) because she didn't know anyone that could get her a job at a hospital. She ended up finding a job but not as a nurse.

Heh, that's just one example. Luckily my aunt knows a lot of people who are nurses and work in really good hospitals...I think I'm saved :)

16. Yeah that seems to be the way it works...unless you got the gift of gap and can bullshit your

way into/out of anything. I'll admit I got my last job because a close family friends, cousins,

husband was the manager, so I got the hook up...It is what it is my friend. If you got the

resources use it.

17. i have gotten lucky many times in life with different things just because i knew someone. like i got a job from knowing someone. ive gotten laid because i knew someone who introduced us. and a few other smaller instances.

but overall id say that you still need to know what you are doing otherwise why would you continue to be successful in the situation or opportunity that has been presented unless you had some general knowledge about whats going on.

like i could easily have said i can do this and that to my dad who knows a guy at nasa and they give me a job but i cant do math very well. so how well is that gonna work out?

18. Why are all the sexy women becoming nurses?

Seriously, every girl/"woman" I ask, their answer is "Oh yeah I'm going to be a nurse". I kid you not, I know about 12 girls going to school for nursing... wait, 12? Fuck that, more like 30... not knocking your career choice or anything, it's just that I don't even ask anymore - I figure all girls want to be nurses.

Now stand next to me, look cute, and fire up that saline drip, you. :devious::p

19. my girl friend wants to do the pharmacy thing as well. not really nurse but still medical.

and a bunch of other chicks i know are all over the nurse and xray and other medical shit too. i think its cuz there is mad demand for it and its a very secured industry.

medical and insurance industries are the 2 that will never die no matter what the economy looks like.

20. ahahahah thank you my love.

And you wanna know the truth? A lot of people going into nursing now a days are only doing it for the money. Seriously. I've been wanting to be a nurse for as long as I can remember. I naturally love to help people and I find that it'd be so rewarding helping sick people everyday feel better. The job pays well but you also have to work your tits off. 12 hour shifts are the norm. So yes, you may know a lot of girls or people who want to be nurses but they are gonna have to work their butts off and be able to handle long shifts and see blood and guts everyday if they want to be one. A lot of people don't end up making it to the end and end up switching majors ;)