Its funny how one's taste in music can change when you mature a bit..

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by CheechMarley420, May 15, 2010.

1. Exactly he's Insulting my taste in music:rolleyes:, Music I love and have been listening to all my life. you don't see me insulting his taste do you?:hippie:

2. Sig worthy.

3. except the music that he is talking about isn't the same that you like. he's talking about garbage rap and you're talking about good rap, i know both.

you just can't seem to understand each other because you're talking about 2 different kinds.

4. shut up shut up shut up shut up.

what the fuck is wrong with all of you?

why are you all such childish shit talkers?

...grow the fuck up and smoke a joint.

5. I listen to Mobb Deep, Wu Tang, and some of the other artists he mentioned so he is insulting me.:rolleyes:

6. and wu tang doesn't talk about killing people or smoking weed, right?

7. I dont know if this is in response to what I've said but if it is...

Oh yeah man, totally. I'm not saying that 100% what you listen to as a kid reflects what you listen to as an adult, but more or less is that generally bands are sorta like building blocks that you stack on top of each other, all while your ear matures and you subconsciously refine exactly what it is you're looking for. I guess some sort of ear-vana.

/endrant

8. #68 J-DILLA, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    I like to listen to good rap, but even I have to admit, alot of the rap out there promotes violence, drug use and crime. Nothing wrong with listening to rap when you're older but it seems to be more of a teenage thing. Most of the mainstream crap out there is bought by high schoolers who think they are the shit because they own the carter iii and smoke weed. Another reason why is grew out of rap is because every song has the same repetitive drum beat over and over again, or the typical piano in the background.

9. MAn you ap eletists need to step down, seiously, childish...

There's good rap, and theres bad rap, simple as that... But you can not deny what the OP is saying is true; the majoity of the genre is filled with rims, hoes, drugs and bullshit... it's like you pigenholed youself into a gangster fashion, and it's had to get away from in rap.

As for skill, sick rhymes is sick rhymes... But as seasoned musician, it takes a lot more skill to compose something than lyricise. And on the same note, a sick beat is a sick beat but honestly, i feel recycling is garbage, and that's what's flooded rap today... Sorry haha

But we're on home ground dudes, so chill, and discuss, don't bash, we're friends toke up and chil out :smoking:

10. Agreed.

Just want to reiterate that weed is not a drug. When someone is saying that there's too much BS drug/hos/money mentality, they aren't talking about weed. I guarantee it. Don't make your rebuttal "Oh, so you're favorite rapper doesn't talk about weed?" when drugs is OBVIOUSLY meaning hard ass, addictive drugs that kill people, not harmless, loved by all of us, MJ.

11. weed is most definitely a drug.

12. Bah, not by my standards. It's a naturally growing plant, unaltered by man. In my opinion, drugs are manufactured. Whatever. In my time here, I've witnessed numerous debates about this, and the general decision is that Cannabis is a plant, not a drug. Doesn 't matter either way, honestly, point is nobody here cares who raps about weed. It's the drugs that kill that I'm against promoting.

13. I never ever meant to insult anyone, at all. Ok? For reall like this is getting old hearing all i want to do is bash rap

14. Why did you say exactly what i was thinking this late in the game?

Hahahah good job tho, thanks for the support

15. Hrm, I really wonder how old you are to be sitting here and telling others(others who are likely MUCH older than you are) about how one cannot "mature" out of a particular style of music.

You probably grew up watching kids shows on Nickelodeon and listening to the "rap" of a purple fucking dinosaur when you were really young, are you telling me you didn't "mature" out of that kind of entertainment because of the subjects being "taught"?

Yeah, I thought so.:rolleyes:

16. opium is naturally occuring too, so is caffeine, psilocybin, mescaline, dmt.. all of those things are drugs.

17. that's the first logical rebuttle to weed not being a drug that i've heard. + rep lol

18. That's just saying there should be a distinction made between drugs that are created by man that get you fucked up, and naturally occurring substances that fuck you up. Not to say that all of one group should be illegal and all the other legal, but that they shouldn't all be called drugs. But that's where societal norms and definitions try to fuck with me. Doesn't mean it can't change, though.

19. This guys is saying he grew up in the hood, wrote raps, and was a huge hip hop fan. I really think that is a lie. He is just trying to say shit about rap and justify it.

There is no way a listener of all kinds of hip hop would categorize all of it into the gangsta brand. Only someone who didnt know their stuff would make a thread like this.

20. You mean like "narcotics"?

I see what you mean though, opium is naturally taken from poppies, sugar from canes, beer from hops. Drugs like crack and heroin have a plant they're extracted from and could be argued to be natural (though I think the excessive processing makes them less natural, just like with food/drink.).
    But I think this means that cannabis is also a drug, just a drug that needs some the least amount of processing to be effective and that's okay. The word drug also encompasses things like aspirin, ibuprofen, vicoden, etc. its not all negative and I think when the average person hears "drug" they understand that even nyquil could be implied.