ISO Oil Water purge method

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by dweenz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. #1 dweenz, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Hi I just started this thread to see if anyone else has done this or if it is a known method. I  discovered this by fluke after making a batch of iso oil it was runny and dark i stuck it in the freezer and it turned harder but still soft like sap. i scraped the pyrex bowl as best i could there was still residue and i thought id make some tea just add this boiling hot water to the pan with residue and voila.. well i was surprised by the results. the oil pooled up i knew it would as oil is lighter than water. but then it started to change as the water cooled i collected all the globs and was able to spread it around on the pyrex under the water. it eventually became like taffy and i scraped it all together the water keeps the oil from sticking to the dish. and it only sticks to other oil so makes collection much easier. and then i noticed this oil was alot stiffer sticky and putty like at room temperature i put it on parchment paper and stuck it in the freezer it became like a rock hard candy. i was shocked it looked like a better oil and it smoked alot better. blonde coloured and thick here is a picture of the rest of the oil i made after i did the same process to it. its awesome![​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hmmm Im interested, I might this.

Sent from my N860 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #4 dweenz, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Did another batch last night but it was not anything i am proud of. i used the same stuff from my original wash but it sat over 2 nights and there was alot of green in it i added back in the rest of the 500 ml bottle and vaped it off the oil looked ok a lot darker i added the boiling water again and it was strange the globs were like tiny beads in the bottom of the water looked like dirt or something but once again as the water cooled they would combine into gobs.

but this oil is much darker and stickier than the blonde stuff haven't smoked it yet. i am not sure i will( the iso was GREEN). maybe i will experiment with it a bit. i already heated it on the parchment on a teflon fry pan watched it bubble a bit gonna see if it will change state again to a harder substance or budder up anyone done this on parchment itself? seems ok as long as you can freeze it and nothing has stuck yet when it is thinner stickier it gets all over the parchment and you cant deal with it until it freezes.

the blonde stuff is my go to at this point about 2 hits and im quite happy with the world. great taste to it i want to eat it but there is not much of it. the consistency is incredible perfect for dabbing i would say. this darker stuff im still not sure but gonna play with it a bit. i will do 3 more batches of oil and this time a quicker wash yes i have read the threads on qwiso. and i am not that anal about it to make sure all my iso is at exact temp and the weed is frozen ... but i might give that a try too. also want to look into making a big batch of iso oil do this process and then vac purge it to see if it gets that awesome honeycomb state. anyone got any links to such a thing i have googled it but not really found much on turning iso oil into honeycomb just bho.

has anyone tried using the new induction hotplates for heat control and evaporating? im thinking about getting one for 100 bucks and tell the wife its a xmas present :eek:[​IMG]

4. #5 dweenz, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    I heated the black stuff on low it bubbled for a while then stopped bubbling. i put it in the freezer and it is still very runny when room temperature. i turn the temp up and it would bubble more but i don't think it will budder too much chlorophyll? i smoked a hit and it was a bit harsher tasting than the blonde but still had a good smoke and high. I am going to get methyl hydrate for my next batch it has a slightly lower boiling point than iso is 99.9% pure alcohol quick wash with everything chilled to see what the results are :D. i wish i had some of that old science equipment from highschool. the blonde is crazy at room temp i can touch it really quickly and it will not stick to me getting a dab it is like pulling taffy it looks so amazing i want to try fucking around with it some more but scared to ruin it. should i leave it be or try and refine it some more.

5. did a double run last night 1 bubba kush and 1 cheese about a half ounce of each... i used methyl hydrate this time cause its what i could get. so i put my methyl hydrate in the deep freeze for 3 or 4 hours and the weed was in the fridge freezer i crushed the buds in the bag when it was frozen these were leafy lowers. quick rinse of about 30 seconds and start filtering.

i used only a hair dryer to evaporate and the whole thing was less than an hour and a half for both batches there was stll a hint of green in the methanol so im not sure if i could have had my buds more cold they were quite dry and had cured for a few weeks. there was a lot of sugar in the bags so i washed them too.

haven't weighed it yet but the results were a very sticky the dryest i have had yet hard to scrape and looks very dark when in a pile and golden when spread thin. both batches look similar and its at room temperature i can touch it quick and not stick but if i hold it in my fingers a second or 2 it sticks. the cheese is the most flavourful and powerful so far it is one hitter the bubba is a bit harsher but also good for a couple hits and done. i have another wash of some trainwreck to come and a bunch of random bottom of the bag that is very sugary but old maybe 6 months or more. the methyl hydrate finished up well but there was a milky looking substnce and i was like what the fuck water in  my mix? but i touched the bottom of the pan and it was super cold wherever the liquid was so i figured it was the methyl hydrate loaded with oils and kept working it with the dryer  sure enough it vaped away eventually. the oil was so thick hard to scrape and as it lumped together was dark and i could touch it at room temperature. both batches went the same. i like the methyl hydrate less smelly and vaped off with just the hairdryer in less than an hour and a half. i did it on my counter with the exhaust fan going on our cooktop no heat other than the hair dryer was used.

this was quick wash less than a minute in the sauce. not sure about the water purge method as i smoke the different oils the water washed blonde oil takes a second to smoke and the fresh scrapes were instantly smoke. so maybe water is becoming trapped in the oil maybe that is resulting in the blonde colour. still havent found anything about it on the interwebs except for some chemistry stuff which is over my head.

kush on the left cheese on the right. [​IMG]

6. i just heated my blonde to the no more bubbles state and it is no longer blonde lol i guess there was alot of water in there after doing the " water purge" it is a very nice honey oil still just not a blonde blob. im assuming the water was whipped into it by my stirring and heating it released the water so if you want something that looks nice but is loaded with water do the "water purge". still works good to clean up the corners of your pyrex just debubble it before smoking i guess.

7. #9 DrDizzle, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Hey, I don't know if you are still on these boards, but the science in you're little accident from 5 years ago just allowed me to purify and re-purpose completely messed up ISO dregs that had leftover solvent in it. I did it in a coffee cup with small doeses of boiling water rapidly cooking and cooling so as not to degrade the THC, just purified the oil and and using a metal spoon to glob the oil onto, spoon gets hot, wipe spoon off on parchment paper, freeze, bam pure oil shatter, I beleive your system might even decarbed it! But definitely a superior clean product that works like a champ Ina Dab Rig, You are fucking brilliant, I owe you one if you ever need it! If this exact dab rig compatable hack doesn't exist in this form you originally stumbled onto, I dub it the Dweenz method!

• Like Like x 1