ISO advice from people who have done large scale grows.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by michganman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. #1 michganman, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    So this coming year I have high hopes. Pun intended. Every year I improve my setup and techniques and this year I'm hoping to take it up a notch. Last year I easily got my 10lb goal with pretty limited space in not so perfect conditions so I don't see why this plan isn't feasible.
    I've always been a lone wolf and done my gardening by myself but this year I brought on two other people to help me out. We have procured land from my friends relative in excess of 150 acres that's bordered by 1000's of acres of state hunting land. It's perfect. Totally secluded, there's a pond for water access, good rich soil....
    Between the 3 of us we have procured 100+ feminized seeds and plan on getting clones as well. I have been planning for how much soil, amendments, irrigation etc of everything we need.
    My question is... What are the little things (you who have attempted something on this scale) that you forgot? What are things you would do different? Is 100+ plants too big of a job for 3 people? Am I crazy for thinking I could pull this off? We all have our medical cards but obviously the scale of such an operation is not something law enforcement would take kindly to.
    Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

2. Also, I know there is a post like this every year with some naive person dreaming of getting rich off of a massive crop. Things always go wrong and inevitably they just stop posting their results. So before you start bashing me saying I'm dreaming too big, just know, I'm no amateur grower, I have start up money, and I'm a extremely hard worker.

3. Hey bud good to see ya around. I took care of eighty hundred gallon smart pots on my own basically three years ago and me and my bro took care of thirty plus plants last couple years and it was hard work but still got done. So three of ya should be able to take care of a garden that size no problem. Just be careful. Were doing eighty this year again hundred gallon pots.

4. thanks man, good to hear from ya too. Yea I think we can pull it off I'm just nervous because at the spot we are growing, there's really no trail to get back there and it's some pretty thick woods. It's going to be a huge undertaking hauling all that soil and plants and everything back there. I have some serious prep work ahead of me clearing trees and digging holes and shit like that. I think my biggest problem will be balancing having to work 50 hours a week and then driving 2 hours up north every few days to take care of babies. But either way I'm so excited to get a real deal grow going. Not some small time bullshit like I've been doing. I'm still debating whether to dig holes and fill my own soil mix in or doing 100 gal pots like you.

5. you plan on organic or nute based soil? reason i ask is organic is by far the easiest to tend to, water and walk away kind of thing. 2 hour drive, 50 hour work week is going to wear on you heavily with a 100 plant grow and bottled nutes, PH adjustments, etc.

6. the last couple years I've gone with a home made peat based organic soil. I'm all about the organics. I might just heavily amend the existing soil up there instead of using my normal peat based mix though. It all kinda depends on what kinda $$$ we are willing to throw at this but no matter what it'll be organic.

good choice. watering will be "the issue" as watering a 100 plants can take many hours, especially with buckets. why not give it a go, the worst that can happen is you learn a lot. when i had a large garden going years ago i couldn't find the time to maintain it with a drought moving in and i had to sacrifice half my garden, but the half i kept going worked out fine.

8. #8 michganman, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    im hoping water won't really be a big issue. There's a pond for our water source and I already have the pumps and stuff I would need but electricity might be a problem. There's a small cabin on the property with electrical ran but it's rather far away from the grow site. I might possibly be running a couple hundred yards or more of extension cord to run my pumps. Also that reminds me that I need like a 100gal+ Rez for my teas.

9. Indoor a option for you? I pull twenty pounds a run from our eight gavita lights on avg. And we run a harvest from that setup four to six times a year, all perpetual.

10. what strains u running this year michiganman? gl with the grow

11. #11 michganman, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    it was at one time. At one point I was running 6 1000w hps in the flower room and 5 4ft 6bulb t5s in veg. Sold everything when we had or baby a lil over a year ago. The wifey isn't having it anymore lol

12. so far we have a couple different og crosses, some blue dream, skywalker kush, agent orange, I'm doing tora bora again this year. Some random bag seed(feminized from a hermie), umm I got access to a bunch of clones too. That's just what I'm bringing to the table, my partners have some other strains as well.

13. delahaze is a monster producer and dont mold on me ever at 37.5 n lat even with rainy ass fall last year and 100% humidity..hell ya those clones will be sweet..im a seeder guy since its still illegal here and have to grow in the bush..u can pull a pound easy with the dela for sure or 1lb+ depending how good TLC u give it

Attached Files:

14. that looks like some good stuff. I'm always looking for something mold resistent. I'll have to see if I can find that strain. Everyone I know got tons of powdery mildew last year around my area.

15. i had plants right beside the delahaze that got bud rot and this one just keep on trucking..i didnt use no prevention sprays or nothing on this one and to beat it all i used miracle gro lol..im switching to dyna gro this year so i should get even better results from it..i live way out in the country so my olny access to get good supplys like ocean forest and happy frog soil is have it shipped..lowes and walmart is where i been getting my supplys last few years but i took some crop money and invested it in good shit so hoping for better results this year

16. nice man, good work. I personally think brands like ocean forest and happy frog are overhyped. I mix my own soil and it always out performs those and it's way cheaper. At the end of last growing season I had a small truck load of top soil dropped off at the house and I plan on heavily amending that with peat, lava rock for drainage and every organic amendment I can find( worm castings ,kelp ,neem ,rock dust etc) I just have to use a lot of lime with
    My peat mix

17. ya they are over hype and im building my compost pile as we speak but it will not be done this year so i had to bite the bullet and buy some..there is nothing better then our own black gold for sure.i seen a thing on youtube and they did a test with happy frog ocean forest,miracle grow and his own compost and his own compost blowed the other 3 away..i cant wait till i can get enuff so i wont have to buy no more..i will recycle this soil though as long as none my plots are not found..im getting a few bags of peat my self and add the Clackmas coots kit from buildasoil.com..then i will just have to water only till flowering kicks in then hit them with a fresh topdress of kelp and Ewc castings..i folair ever 2 weeks with cytoplus along the way as well

18. I just thought of a possible problem...the pond I'm using for my water source is rather small. If the water happens to be stagnant or smelly or filled with bacteria or some shit, could this be detrimental to the plants? Could this nasty bacteria effect my teas that I make?

19. Never mind, had my questions answered in the organic section.

20. As an avid fish keeper and breeder, be cautious with stagnant pond water, the nitrogen gets high in ponds like that.