Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Isnt this unsafe?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mrmuffinman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. #1 mrmuffinman, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
    The 250mg niacin say something like 1000% daily value. And it also says take 1 per day with food. Isnt that contradicting itself? If 250g is ten times the daily recomended amount why does it say take once a day?

Sorry if this seems trivial, it just seems unhealthy to consume regularly if this is the case

2. Scientists decide what they think the body would use in a day so that is what they consider the daily value. Niacin is water soluble so whatever your body can't use, you'll pee out. It's a vitamin so you aren't going to OD or anything.

3. you can OD on vitamins if you take too much. don't listen to the one above me. the reason why there's more than enough is because your body won't process it all completely. it'll absorb the vitamins it can while expelling the rest as waste. remember, nothing is 100% efficient in this world.

4. #4 Doormouse, Jun 27, 2013
    Actually the guy above you is correct, Niacin is water soluble. Not that what you say contradicts that in anyway.
    Also Niacin isn't a complete vitamin, it's one of the active components in B vitamins, most notably B6.

source: I work for a nutritionist.

Edit: though you can OD on whole vitamins, normally vitamins D and E

5. I dare you, no, I double dare you to take 20 vitamin E all at once and see how that feels.

6. I wasn't talking about him being incorrect with it being water soluble. i was saying he was wrong by thinking he can't OD on vitamins.

7. #7 Doormouse, Jun 27, 2013
    ah fair enough, you need to specify these things lol
    Edit: nevermind i'm an idiot, just reread your post. I read it wrong lol